Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Customizable Difficulty  (Read 1551 times)

Thelivindead

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Customizable Difficulty
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »

I don't know if this has been suggested before but it would be great if we could have a customizable difficulty. I was thinking something similar to mount and blade warband's. I want to fight more but the supply penalty after a battle prevents it especially if I get hit by a second group after a hard battle. 

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Customizable Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:15:00 PM »

You might be interested in looking at Starsector's settings and changing a few values to suit your own preferences. Find your Starsector folder and go to:

starsector-core > data > config > settings.json

Open that file up in Notepad or similar and you can fiddle with just about every configurable setting you can imagine. From what I've heard, lots of people fine-tune their games using the settings file: whether they want a harder or easier time; bigger battles; better ships; more challenge, and a whole host of other personal contrivances. Reducing the overall penalty of fighting a battle - or multiple battles in succession - should be easy enough, so give it a go!  ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »

Also: hi, and welcome to the forum!

In particular, if you play on "easy", there are a couple of settings in the settings.json file that control how much it affects the amount of salvage that drops after combat and the damage dealt/taken; those sound like they'd be handy for what you're trying to do.

"easyPlayerDamageDealtMult":1,
"easyPlayerDamageTakenMult":0.75,
"easySensorBonus":500,
"easySalvageMult":1.5,

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 12:04:34 AM »

This actually seems like a fairly good idea, even though I'm the exact opposite - I'd like to make the game more difficult for myself instead.

Any chance we could have these settings be adjustable via ingame sliders?
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

Shrugger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 12:15:34 AM »

I'm trying to figure out how to make fleets smaller - both my own and all others. Not engagement size, mind you, but fleet size. Micromanagement isn't my thing.

Any good ideas?