Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fleet Management  (Read 4333 times)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fleet Management
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »

I don't know if anyone's suggested this already, but it's something that continually annoys me.

I'd like it if on the fleet screen, inserting a ship inbetween two others 'bumped' the rest of the ships down the line, instead of forcing me to manually move them back one by one.

Pretty simple.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Management
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:45 AM »

What if you actually *wanted* to just swap the two ships around, though? There'd need to be a way for the game to distinguish what you actually wanted to do...

powerbonger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:53:55 AM »

Lots of possible solutions, actually. Here's an idea: in the fleet management screen, making the lines between the ships clickable when you mouse over a selected ship on it can initiate the insert function.

Pic attached, the areas I'm talking about are encircled in red, because I can't seem to find the words to explain it properly right now  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:25:37 AM »

What if you actually *wanted* to just swap the two ships around, though? There'd need to be a way for the game to distinguish what you actually wanted to do...

Wouldn't that just be like switching their two places? Clicking the ship you want, putting it up in rank, then clicking the ship that is immediately to the right that got bumped down and putting it somewhere else for example.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Reapy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »

Hrm, if you think about it a bit, most of the time you probably want to reorder ships instead of doing a swap. Since crew gets added in a priority scale down, most of the time your fleet will be sorted already.

So when you'd want to change the order would be when a new ship comes into the picture and it needs to fit somewhere along the line.

It seems to make sense that the default behavior would be to insert (as the op said) rather than swap. Maybe another option is to just add some up/down buttons that slide it up along the list... or maybe at the end of the day the ships should be displayed in a 'fat list' with the ship picture on the left and ship info on the right of a line, and you move ships up and down in the order with some buttons or drag and drop.

Degraine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »

Powerbonger's got the solution I was going to suggest. When you drag a ship over another ship, it swaps, when you drag it between them, it inserts. Pretty simple really, a bit like arranging tabs in your browser.

savanik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »

Agreed! This would be very helpful to drop ships on the line between boxes to insert, rather than swap. It would also be quite intuitive to have it work this way, much better than the shift+drag I was considering suggesting.

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »

I also agree. That would make things so much nicer and simpler.

Alendor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 10:10:23 AM »

yes, something like this is needed badly. i hate having 10+ ships in my fleet, and buying a new fighter wing.  i have to move all 10 ships over one slot to get my new fighterwing crewed with the best pilots and keep my fleet order. 

really annoying

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »

I'm guessing this will come as a ui improvment in the next release?

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »

Probably/Hopefully. At least Alex looks at and/or takes suggestions.