Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dreadnought Athena (please delete me.)  (Read 13046 times)

sylva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Dreadnought Athena (please delete me.)
« on: July 20, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »

discontinued.

(I'm sorry mods for the lazy way, I didnt found the delete button.)
The mod won't be finished.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:12:54 AM by sylva »

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Dreadnought Athena 0.1 (experimental)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 05:18:20 AM »

If the player isn't intended to fly it then you can be a lot more daring in terms of balance. It just depends on how difficult you want the fight to be and what would make it fun.

EnceladusMine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 04:54:01 AM »

Your ship looks astonishing and quite completed. It has the potential to be an unique and powerful boss ship, not an ordinary pile of guns and armour.
Balance shouldn't be a restriction to your refinement, I mean, it's a boss ship, it shouldn't be easily suppressed by, let's say ,two paragons.

I assume that it acts on its own, then it must be fast, otherwise it will be easily surrounded, EMPed, and disabled by player's fleet.
I suggest you add two more large weapon slots pointing to the front, give it the ability to tear apart player's formation, like a ultra-heavy version of Aurora.
And two newly designed powerful long-range large PD cannons installed on its center platform might be necessary to avoid being trapped by barrages of sabot missiles.

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 06:55:47 PM »

Is it just a roaming random encounter in empty systems, a fixed thing, or mission only?

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 05:29:11 AM »

That's a pretty damn sweet ship you've got there.

Would love to see it on the IBB.
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

sylva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:02:34 AM »

Hello,

Thank you Wong!

Nightfallgemini: As of yet its just a husk, you can only find it in simulation, or if you enable dev mode for the game you can try it out. It still needs a lot of work.

I'll make versions for IBB, and Gladiator soceity, but also I think I should include 2-3 for the FreePort defense fleet in nexerelin. :P

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 04:54:48 AM »

I'll make versions for IBB, and Gladiator soceity, but also I think I should include 2-3 for the FreePort defense fleet in nexerelin. :P
...Welp, can't get Freeport when it has THOSE things.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »

...Welp, can't get Freeport when it has THOSE things.
You can't normally capture the Freeport anyways IIRC. Or at least when you don't have SCY installed
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Dreadnought Athena 0.3 (WIP)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 08:17:50 AM »

Haven't seen a ship quite this big since Project Valkirie... talk about thinking big.

Really good job you've done so far, thou many things require polish, I'm gonna give my 2 cents assuming you want to create something that fits with the vanilla feel.

1. The ship system is ridiculous.... 370 burst speed for a ship this size? No way, Legions and Onslaughts only go to around 330, and they have a fraction of the fire power this thing has. I know you don't want it to be kitted to death but having that mountain of murder sprint at you with the speed of a decked out Hound? That's ridiculous.

I think you should tone the burst speed to around 280-300.

Its regular top speed is also way too fast, at 70 it can outrun cruisers and capitals (while slamming them with bomber salvos time after time).

2. A ship this big needs a lot of range just to avoid being ganked, forget the ITU and go for the Targeting Supercomputer, the bastard is as big as a station so might as well give it the range of one.

Advanced turret gyros also would be a big plus, the more it can use its guns the better.

3. Too few engines given its size, triple the number.

4. Add more guns, the side sections that support the front could easily fit 1 large and multiple mediums/smalls each.

The engine section could fit a few smalls and the carrier sections could easily fit one large and more mediums/smalls.

As far as weapon density goes the side middle sections nail it.

5. Weapon descriptions are lame, a better description for the Super Mjolnir would be "Born from the same hubris that created the Atena, the Super Mjolnir (I'd call it the heavy mjolnir, but whatever) boasts improved flux efficiency coupled with a heavier shell and extra gun barrel. Such a heavy and specialized construction render it exclusive to the Atena, as any other vessel would require a major redesign to implement."

6. The super pd weapon looks ugly and is pointless. if you're afraid of fighter spam just add/repurpose several medium slots with dual flak cannons. Flak cannons love fighters.

7. This thing should have high maintenance and hardened subsystems on it, also the fuel consumption and crew requirements should be increased. Its logistical demand needs to reflect its power, especially once you have campaign integration.

Well thats all I can think of right now, you are on the right track, the ship looks gorgeous already and its potential is big.

sylva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 07:35:35 AM »

Hey Sabaton, thank you so much for your feedback, this is the kind of review I can work with.

The mod itself is on hold right now, (I'm working on a ship/weapon pack mod, plus Battle for Azeroth just released.)

,but to adress a few of your points:

-the descriptions are indeed lame, I'll get help on the discord channel for lore stuff, because that isnt my forte.
-I'll add a few more engines when I'm reworking the sprite (it is already planned)
- I wouldn't bother balancing the fuel req, supply/month stats because it will be just a hefty bounty ship. Uncapturable, perhaps some unique reward, (perhaps the mjolnirs)

question though, what do you think about the hp armor values? spot on?

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »

I'm not a number cruncher so don't expect a spot on evaluation but from what I've seen armor is ok, feels as strong as a ship like this would be without turning into a bullet sponge.

One observation: the lack of Vast Bulk make this ship vulnerable to drilling, as in a player can strip one side of modules and keep hammering till' it explodes. One way of correcting that would be to make the ship system increase turn speed as well, like a combo of Burn Drive and Maneuvering Jets.

Also, what can we expect from your ship pack?

sylva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 04:42:41 PM »

Nothing fancy yet. I wish ti create ships that resembles the vanila Gemini transporter's style. (for some reason I like it's style)

The sprites are WIP because I messed up the shading.

https://imgur.com/KhBZ5Z8

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:54:18 PM by szilvasas »

Delta7

• Commander
  • forum idiot
    • View Profile
    • my personal DA account
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »

I think i just orgasmed a bit seeing the full image of that ship.
warning: may be prone to random outbursts of stupidity

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 09:36:43 AM »

the gun belts are good *** senpai

sylva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Dreadnought Athena 0.4
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 02:05:57 PM »

Update:

-New sprites, weapons, a fighter, and added the actual bounty.

The ship is in simulator too for now. Have fun(?)!

Hotfix 0.45:
-Athena's weapons should not be appearing in loot and markets from now on.
-Some dmg numbers are ROUND
-Tweaked the heavy pulser burst fire.

On the list:
-Rename, redo the HE Arbalest.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:13:23 AM by sylva »
Pages: [1] 2