Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Sylphon RnD 1.0  (Read 335358 times)

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Sylphon RnD 0.9.2
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2018, 04:15:14 PM »

It's called a drawback. Having a Seresvalla in your fleet gives you +1 burn to your fleet at no additional cost whatsoever while equipping all your capitals with soothers means investing OP and locking them out of using any other prototype mods. "Only" having burn 19 is a rather small price to pay, I would say, given the difference between burn 19 and burn 20 is marginal at best.
My mods: Tahlan Shipworks - ScalarTech Solutions - Trailer Moments
It's all in the presentation

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2018, 05:04:25 PM »

My mistake. I thought the drawback intended was the +50% supply cost for maintenance. No worries, everyone doesn't have to like and use the same ships. Different strokes for different folks. I look forward to seeing where you take this mod next!

If you're concerned about combat balance though, you may wish to take a second look at the Catharsis fighter. About twelve of them will demolish almost any fleet or station imaginable by themselves. Yes, they have a hefty OP cost, but it's even worth stripping all weapons off your carriers to use them. I play your mod together with Soren's DME, and four carriers of Catharsis fighters will rip a large red beacon Blade Breaker fleet to shreds (and a Remnant fleet in half the time).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:07:56 PM by solardawning »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »

The Catharsis is a very potent fighter, yes - I'd suggest removing the blueprint for them, rather than nerfing the fighter.  That way you have whatever limited number of wings you can buy or scavenge, and can't just manufacture multiple carrier's worth of them.

Then again, I also wouldn't count Sylphon as a vanilla-balanced faction in the first place.  It's fun to play with, and I especially enjoy having a variety of good drone fighters (I hate losing crew from using normal fighters), but a large number of its ships and weapons just simply out-perform their vanilla counterparts (though always with at least -some- drawback, too.)  And, honestly, having one mod in my set that does that is -neat-.  For example, in my latest playthrough, I got one Sylphon Outcast weapon blueprint, for the Arphage - a very potent medium ballistic HE weapon.  And, for a while, that completely changed how I built ship variants; medium ballistic slots went to those over, say, flak, which then necessitated finding other PD solutions, and it was just a neat gameplay shift to work with.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Enirlan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »

Does anyone know how to acquire any of the outcast hullmods, like the scourge eagle? i havent seen any in the normal markets on slyphon planets or stations..

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2018, 10:31:11 AM »

Only way I've found is to get lucky with salvage; in my current game, I found the Scourge Eagle's blueprint while scavenging a planet's ruins.

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »

Outcast stuff is deliberately rare given how powerful it is.

The Catharsis is also getting nerfed across the board as part of its conversion to a drone.

My aim is to get to vanilla balance levels btw, so instead of "I don't regard it as vanilla-balanced" I'd rather hear some constructive feedback on what is overperforming.

If you feel like some weapon or ship is outright better than a vanilla equivalent, please let me know what and why. Outcast being an exception as these are meant to be rare items (which I'm considering removing blueprints for)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 11:01:19 AM by Nia Tahl »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2018, 11:02:58 AM »

My aim is to get to vanilla balance levels btw,
Really? I've been meaning to get a hang of this mod for some time and the first thought I had upon seeing the design was that Blade Breakers and Templars have a new buddy to hang out with.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2018, 11:27:12 AM »

My aim is to get to vanilla balance levels btw, so instead of "I don't regard it as vanilla-balanced" I'd rather hear some constructive feedback on what is overperforming.
Oh, okay.  Does that include Outcast stuff?  (Edit: Ah, your edit answers that question.)

Of the base sylphon tech, I'd have to say the Ravanna Fighter & Sivva Scalpel are the most out-of-line.

The Ravanna is essentially an upgraded Lux drone, and - while it's not as strong as the Catharsis - a carrier full of Ravannas can easily overwhelm an even opponent, especially if you put them on something like a Heron that can boost their damage.  I'd probably start by either cutting down on the number of flares they put out (or perhaps cutting flares entirely), or cutting its firepower in half, or maybe both.  (Also, though not a balance issue, the Ravanna's weapon fire is quite loud when massed.)

The Sivva is most comparable to the vanilla warthog; it's useless against shielded targets, but very few ships have 360 shields.  Mixing one wing in with a bunch of Ravannas makes for a terrifying team-up; the Ravannas provide flares and extra bodies to keep the Sivvas alive, and the hard-flux DPS to take down shields, while the Sivvas strip armor that the Ravanna's would have had to chew on for a while.  I'm not entirely sure what the right nerf to apply here is, but either their firepower needs to go down or their OP cost needs to go up.

It's probably worth noting that both of these fighters are comparable to vanilla fighters that have been nerfed recently, and I'd guess that they just didn't get re-balanced when their closest vanilla counterparts got adjusted.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 11:40:20 AM by Wyvern »

Enirlan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »

Thanks wyvern.  I guess this is the only way ? Are there fleets of them hostile anywhere on occasion perhaps ?

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »

Yeah, the Ravana is already being nerfed in my local build. It's been overperforming as of late. I'll have a look at the Sivva, too, and probably lower the power of that beam some.

@SCC: Why's that? Just the visual design?

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »

When it comes to the one-fighter-per-wing 'superfighter' concept, it means that ships with Reserve Deployment (like the Drover) actually get double the fighter count for free. So a Drover with Catharsis gets 4 Catharsis for the cost of 2.

I'd wager that's why Alex made Reserve Deployment not work with bombers, and there's no one-fighter wings in vanilla.

When you're taking another look at the Catharsis, if you want to keep it as one per wing, you could try tagging it as a bomber rather than a fighter. (this will also keep it carrier-only, as bomber costs w/ converted hangar are doubled).
Alternatively, split it into two. Then Reserve Deployment would just be a 50% increase.

Either way, the total firepower for the cost could stand to be cut in half.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2018, 01:09:29 PM »

Thanks wyvern.  I guess this is the only way ? Are there fleets of them hostile anywhere on occasion perhaps ?

You can get all the blueprints by raiding Castrum or Sylphon R&D. Jump in with your beacon off, attack the station & kill it and whatever defending fleet is there (or sneak around with Go Dark on and wait for defenders to fly away).
If you're not playing ironman mode and can save & load, then you can save right before carrying out the raid, and load and repeat until you get the blueprints you want. There's a small chance on any raid of getting a bunch of rare blueprints all at once. 

Kittah Khan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »

The replekia's rear small turrets have different angles, this is probably not intended?

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2019, 07:45:35 AM »

nope, noted down for a fix

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Sylphon RnD 0.9.2a - Nex support ahoy
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »

patch 0.9.2a - Nex support and more stuff

Download in first post as always~

Changelog:
Spoiler
0.9.2a
Additions:
- Added a new Hydroponics industry exclusive to Sylpheed Station, which replaces its old Farming industry
- Nex support

Changes:
- Catharsis is now a drone fighter
- Sylphon markets now generally have AI cores on their industries; bigger markets have more cores

Balancing:
- The Nanobot Beam now deals its extra damage in smaller amounts at a time (same overall DPS)
- Nerfed Catharsis across the board
- Furika dissipation lowered from 300 to 250
- Replekia OP reduced from 310 to 260
- Catora OP reduced from 55 to 50
- Silverhead
   - dissipation reduced from 450 to 400
   - top speed reduced to 70
   - acceleration reduced to 60
- Etrika top speed reduced to 60
- Dread Eagle top speed reduced to 60
- Eolia dissipation reduced to 400
- Tilia dissipation reduced to 200
- Tarima dissipation reduced to 350
- Replekia dissipation reduced to 800
- Ravana
   - hitpoints reduced to 400
   - weapons changed to miniature Embrace with lower damage and without EMP cycler feature
- Valestri dissipation reduced to 600
- Lowered Stricture S damage by 20%

Bugfixes:
- The Apocastasis' secondary effect now works as intended (broke during some unknown patch, maybe even at release)
- Actually implemented the balance change for the Dread Eagle properly
- Hopefully fixed a crash related to hullmods that remove shields and the Prototype Nullpoint Shield
- Fixed some issues with sylph core detection for eccentric cores
[close]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34