Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bribing pirates with money and/or cargo as another option for pirate encounters  (Read 1530 times)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile

I've recently lost several iron-man games in a row, of which in the latest I didn't even manage to get past the tutorial system.

Those 2 separate detachments guarding the jump gate that the tutorial guy seems to think you can defeat as a whole is rather severly optimistic.  Alright...if I'm honest I didn't have the entire D-class fleet with me since with the previous game I lost I was barely keeping up with the supply cost, so thought I would give myself some breathing room....plenty of room in the cold dark of space, not much to breathe....

So far the biggest threat in the iron man games to me are the unexpected massive pirate fleets I come across, giving me little to no time to disengage...and retreat is basically worthless; you are treated to watching your supply/fuel ships being popped, which in deep space is as sure as a death sentence.

The prior game I lost to this one I was on my second bounty hunt mission so very much had the initial fleet that you get from the tutorial (well I upgraded the Condor to a Drover and bought a Phaeton tanker, but otherwise stock), where I was ambushed by a fleet consisting of 1xMora, 4xFalcon's and a whole heap of other destroyers and frigates....it was easily a walk over, I couldn't even retreat what ships remained or even my supply ships after that.

Argh, I may of had this game for a while, but it is clear I'm not very good at it.  I would however love the possibility of at least being able to bribe the pirates with very large fleets relative to myself to leave me alone when it is clear engaging in combat will be certain death.  Perhaps with the new version just on the horizon this will be less of a problem, but I still think it would be reasonable if pirates demanded a tribute in some form first rather then jumping straight to hostilities.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile

Well I've been taking a look at the changelog and UI changes after suffering a nasty defeat by the Tri-Tachyon on my iron-man save (~lvl 22, serves me right for trying out the Faction commissions!). 

Just noticed that this was part of the 0.9 changelog:
Dropping cargo pods may now distract pirate fleets; duration of distraction (if any) depends on quantity of goods ejected

I wonder though if this could be extended to the pirate intercepted dialogue pop-up. Perhaps the distraction would be a cheaper way of getting out of a situation if you are at least aware of the approaching pirates, but when finally caught you have one last ditch attempt at avoiding battle by paying a larger toll of your cargo/money/ships.

Most of the time for me it is being caught with little to no time to react...thinking about it an auto-pause when a new hostile fleet is sighted might help here; but I still like the idea that if caught by a superior pirate foe, pirates demanded cash, cargo or possibly some ships in exchange for leaving you alone.  It may even work out better financially to pay your way through more evenly matched forces due to the associated supply costs, or if you are heading off to collect a bounty and are intercepted by another pirate force in hyperspace before reaching the bounty system and want to keep your fleet at maximum combat readiness for that enemy.