Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is your favorite piece of flavor text in the game?(mods or vanilla)  (Read 9693 times)

MrSquash

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Mine is the description for ill-advised modifications "This ship has suffered from unqualified maintenance"

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile

The Knight Templar's Rhon and Longinus are implied to be lightsabers. They use "Force Crystals"
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile

When going into combat, you have three options - run away (which is sometimes gone), deploy ships, and open commlink. I feel people don't understand that this commlink option exists, and the fact that you can get randomised, amusing flavour text from different mod factions depending on your relationship with them. Blackrock has some good ones when you're friendly with them, like one asking what colour their ships are, and why their faction colours don't match. In vanilla the pirates have one where they are hostile to you, and on combat they're confused that you actually picked up the commlink and spoke with them. You can also bribe Luddic Path fleets into not killing you through this dialogue option.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile

When going into combat, you have three options - run away (which is sometimes gone), deploy ships, and open commlink. I feel people don't understand that this commlink option exists, and the fact that you can get randomised, amusing flavour text from different mod factions depending on your relationship with them. Blackrock has some good ones when you're friendly with them, like one asking what colour their ships are, and why their faction colours don't match. In vanilla the pirates have one where they are hostile to you, and on combat they're confused that you actually picked up the commlink and spoke with them. You can also bribe Luddic Path fleets into not killing you through this dialogue option.
I love the quotes from the Starlight Cabal. My favorite bit of flavor text used to be from the Interstellar Federation's ship descriptions.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

I thought this was a "low" risk bounty hunt...but the captain says "Oh look at the time, it's Death O'Clock!"

...and proceeds to smack the bejeezus out of me with a pair of modified combat freighters and their friends

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community

Spoiler
[close]

Destructively Phased

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Not sure if it’s still in the game, but the flavor text for the talon fighters “the average combat lifespan of a talon pilot is measured at 4 minutes and X seconds.”

X stands for I can’t remember the exact value.

A close second would be the flavor text for the Medusa, talking about the negative effects on in system shipping should one fall into the hands of pirates.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Not sure if it’s still in the game, but the flavor text for the talon fighters “the average combat lifespan of a talon pilot is measured at 4 minutes and X seconds.”

Sadly I don't think it's in the game anymore (ever since fighters got redone in 0.8 ), but I'm fairly sure it was 4 minutes and 20 seconds. ;) And I'm very inclined to agree.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile

Sadly I don't think it's in the game anymore (ever since fighters got redone in 0.8 ), but I'm fairly sure it was 4 minutes and 20 seconds. ;) And I'm very inclined to agree.

I want to say BS, its way shorter, but I suppose if you count that the pilot sometimes ejects rather than dying, I guess it is reasonable.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Today, I want Talons to die as quickly as possible so that the next replacement fires two Swarmers instead of the living one firing only one.  Since Talons can replace so fast, Talons dying and replacing faster than rate can drop is more useful than preserving them.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite piece of flavor text in the game?(mods or vanilla)
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 11:02:22 PM »

Today, I want Talons to die as quickly as possible so that the next replacement fires two Swarmers instead of the living one firing only one.  Since Talons can replace so fast, Talons dying and replacing faster than rate can drop is more useful than preserving them.

... I think you're taking this thread a little too seriously Megas.  8)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 05:37:37 AM »

The point is in late 0.8, the fluff text is justified.  You want Talons piloted by virtual people to die to maximize your DPS.

In early 0.8, Talons were very powerful, almost competitive with much stronger fighters, and the fluff text did not match in-game performance.  To get your two Swarmers back, you need Talons to die, and since Talons can replace very quickly, you can almost get your 0.8 performance back if you can get your Talons to die after they launch missiles.

During 0.7 era, skilled NPCs were so much stronger than unskilled that fighters (and carriers) were useless because they had no skill support, and it did not matter what the fluff was.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 11:15:39 PM »

*logistical rambling*

Megas, chill a little. While the topic is of course intriguing, it's a discussion for a very different thread.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »

This one never gets old

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:08 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

that one gets me every time
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then
Pages: [1] 2