Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Annoying Suicidal Patrols  (Read 1701 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Annoying Suicidal Patrols
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »

https://youtu.be/_V1gXc198Xs

In my eyes, the ideal workflow for transponder-off patrol interrupts would be that the patrol first asks for compliance as normal, but the patrol would decide how to respond to the player's action with the following logic:

* Comply, Hostile: Pull in allied fleets and evaluate confidence of combined fleets.
* Comply, Friendly: No change.
* Refuse: Pull in allied fleets and evaluate confidence of combined fleets.  Mark player fleet as hostile.

If hostile:
* AI picks Engage: Prevent escape.
* AI picks Standby/Disengage: Standby and deliver a stern warning.  Perhaps additional rep loss.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying Suicidal Patrols
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 02:14:13 PM »

Let me make a note; I'll check it out if I get a chance.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »

Stuff like this is why I bring a few small ships like (Hyperion and Tempest) that otherwise lack the peak performance to be useful in endgame fights.

As to the OP, yes, the enemy is stupid, not unlike mission pirates trying to stick up a vastly superior fleet for cargo.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »

You know, a small patrol "maneuvering to prevent you from disengaging easily" would make sense, IF there were mechanics to allow nearby fleets to join a battle that's already in progress in the same way the player can. And, of course, provided the battle is in proximity to another fleet which, when combined with the first, makes them (ostensibly) strong enough to take on yours. Factions could be made more distinct by their willingness to commit to slowing you down and holding for reinforcements, the closer to faction-aligned markets and systems, and the more fanatical they are, the more likely. Eg. Pathers would do everything they can to make sure you get overwhelmed; a Hegemony captain puts the needs of their faction first and can sustain some losses in the name of bringing an enemy of the state to justice, but recognises when they'd be no match unless adequate reinforcements really close by; Independent privateers might not be able to count on the support of other fleets and any losses would be costly.
Such a mechanic is a whole other can of worms though. It'd probably mean having to have the overmap simulation continue during battles albeit at a much, much slower rate. Or just using some kinda maths to emulate their travel time. It'd avoid the frustration of an enemy fleet just on the edge of being able to join a battle against another and somehow being there instantly though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:32:21 PM by Morbo513 »

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 07:18:28 AM »

Given all fleets in battle are immobilized, you should be able to get an esitmate as to how long it would take for other nearby fleets to arrive. Enter them into the battle as well, but on a delayed timer (in battle). Sooner then arrive, sooner they show up in battle.
If the battle ends before they arrive, just leave them where they were.

Or something like that.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire