Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: About the Alpha Trailer  (Read 1411 times)

SigilFey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
About the Alpha Trailer
« on: June 27, 2018, 06:18:16 PM »

1.)  I recommend finding a deeper-toned instrumental theme.  The brassy overture does little to capture the feel of the game.  Better to make it sound like a low rumble -- a volcano threatening to erupt -- rather than a "trumpets and glory" approach.  I think that would more accurately capture the energy of the game.

2.)  The visual, gameplay footage does little to highlight the pause-and-issue-orders tactics, nor the rather extensive strategic considerations of the game.  It really makes it look and feel like an action game.  While that's certainly a major element, I think it's underplaying the depth and versatility of the overall game.

3.)  Highlight the variety of ships.  The bit that showcases the different ship types -- go ape.  In fact, I would highlight the top 7, most popular designs...then rapid-fire through every, single ship model in the game, giving 0.3 seconds to each.  Really punch how much content there is in this thing.

4.)  What about the research screen?  The system map?  A few stations?  Fighter swarms?  Teleporting?  Flux and venting?  (...which is one of the coolest things ever, I may add.)  Do more in the trailer to showcase how much there is.

5.)  I do not recommend "narration" or "exposition", but the "[XNumberLightYears] from Old Earth..." :-\ "...forge your fate..." = big yawn.  There's enough with the mechanics, factions, and gameplay to find an angle that's not in-your-face traditional.

I'm a big fan of the game!  I'd like to see it make a bit of a splash!

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: About the Alpha Trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:32:05 PM »

The ol' alpha trailer doesn't really convey what the game is, "sell" the feeling of what it's about, as well as it could.

I mean, no reason to inject narrative into the trailer or anything, but there's something about that essence of Starsector that's absent, like the feeling of being alone at odds against the entire Sector and scraping by, and transitioning into having real power as a roving space-warlord-tycoon.

I'm picturing something that shows how the player can slowly make it and scrape by, slowly showing fights and campaign gameplay as it builds up and the player acquires some better stuff, and then having it all torn down by a stray reaper torpedo from a pirate ship or something. Then a lot of quick-cut footage of different possible player fleets and ships being piloted, different campaign sights, yadda yadda, I don't know

Also, try to stage a fight where a Wolf circles an enforcer which is currently emptying 4 harpoon racks at it, while the wolf gets at the enforcer with a heavy blaster. That would look ace. Some salamander dodges... split second shielding, a phase ship getting behind an eagle.. just some stuff that actually shows off how cool and positional the combat is.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »

After 0.9 hits, it would be nice if trailer has a mix of combat and empire building.  Why be smuggler or rank-and-file grunt when your guy can be emperor (or god-of-war for those with a destroyer bent)?

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »

Yeah what the ideal release trailer would be kinda hinges entirely on what the game becomes by then.