Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How to increase battle size? [More ships on the battlefield at once]  (Read 17533 times)

IroncladLion

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I've been looking around for quite awhile and tried several things without much luck. I understand I need to go into the settings to change a few numbers but I'd like to know exactly what I need to do.

I'm trying to increase the amount of ships (on both sides) that can be deployed into battle at once. I have a very strong computer so I'm not worried about the stress it may cause. I just want large fleet battles :D and I'm tired of only being able to send in 1-2 capital ships in every fight. Also, I looked into other threads about this but some of them are from six years ago and I'd love an up to date answer for everyone.

Now, I have found in the settings:
   "minBattleSize":150, # in supplies-to-recover. min value for settings slider
   "defaultBattleSize":250, # in supplies-to-recover. starting tvalue for settings slider
   "maxBattleSize":500, # in supplies-to-recover. max value for settings slider

Is this what I'm supposed to be changing? What will each of these effect? And will I need to start a new game for these settings to take effect or will they immediately start effecting current saves?

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How to increase battle size? [More ships on the battlefield at once]
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »

If I had to guess:
Min battle size is the smallest you can move the slider in game
Default battle size is the default it is set to when starting the game
Max battle size is the maximum you can turn the slider up ingame

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:21:55 PM »

Can confirm you're on the right track, increase those by a factor of 10 and enjoy :)
mmm.... tartiflette

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 01:38:46 PM »

If you raise size too high (four digits), the in-battle UI that displays map size may overflow, and look ugly.

IroncladLion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »

I think I've figured it out, the min and max affect the sliders, with the default being whatever it is automatically set at. I also had no idea that the slider was actually in-game, I thought I'd have to adjust the in-game files. Found that out easy enough. Been enjoying some HUGE battles after setting max battle size to 1000.

Now I need to increase fleet ship limit and we will be good to go, 30 is so limiting.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »

"maxShipsInFleet":30, in the same file
mmm.... tartiflette