Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Pirate Bases, Raids, and Objectives  (Read 56792 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Bases, Raids, and Objectives
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2018, 08:45:03 PM »

I don't think save scumming world generation is viable because you can't immediately know if you're successful , you have to explore to know if there are good worlds, which will take a substantial amount of time. If it takes a couple hours of gameplay just to find out if you need to re-roll, it won't be worth the effort.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2018, 01:43:15 AM »

I don't think save scumming world generation is viable because you can't immediately know if you're successful , you have to explore to know if there are good worlds, which will take a substantial amount of time. If it takes a couple hours of gameplay just to find out if you need to re-roll, it won't be worth the effort.
I was guessing something like immediately buy a dram and fuel, save a new file and go explore those very close areas. I’m imagining it only takes about 30 minutes to get to know most systems that are really close enough to make good reachability and decide to continue back from start or create new world.

If non Ironman mode it’s perfectly fine to waste every credit to just get to know the environment and later load back to the very beginning.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:44:49 AM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2018, 06:44:53 AM »

You need surveying skills and a decent size fleet with supplies and stuff to actually survey the planets and find out what class they are

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »

You need surveying skills and a decent size fleet with supplies and stuff to actually survey the planets and find out what class they are
I doubt just finding some obvious habitable along with low hazard rating planet require any of those.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »

Yeah you can survey terran or whatever they are called worlds with no problem.

But once we can start building up our faction, why would you not want to colonise all you can? I suppose a dead world with no resources might be a skip, but you can't know that without a quick look.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2018, 09:39:37 AM »

I probably would want class V Terran planets with abundant resources and no or very low hazard.  One of my playthroughs had one such planet close to core worlds, but it might have had a yellow warning (with Lumen and Glimmer duos).  It was close to Tri-Tachyon worlds.

However, surveys consume supplies unless you have a bunch of ships with that Surveying hullmod, but that is not exactly an early game resource.

But once we can start building up our faction, why would you not want to colonise all you can? I suppose a dead world with no resources might be a skip, but you can't know that without a quick look.
Because character has a limit?  Unskilled, player cannot manage more than several (between him and administrators) without a bunch of Alpha cores.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »

I don't think terran worlds don't have certain resources like ore and rare ore and volatiles etc. ? I guess I figured you would need those sorts of resources to progress (build industries and stuff) so you might need surveying skills, but I have no idea how the mechanics actually work. Even if it was 20 minutes to get a dram and go to all of the nearby star systems, that's way too much of a time investment for me to save scum unless the probability of me getting what I want is like 40-50%. Otherwise, the odds are that I'm spending several hours looking. But that's just me.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2018, 03:43:50 PM »

A great class V Terran planet can have significant ore.  Maybe not max like class V volcanics tend to have.  The thing about Terran worlds is many tend to be crappy low-to-mid class, but a good class V Terran can have almost everything.  Rather maybe no or low on one thing, some of something else (ore), and great one or two something (likely farmland or organics).

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2018, 03:59:49 PM »

I thought that the different planet types gave different resources, so you are incentivized to colonize all the planet types if you want access to all the resources. Terran planets giving food and organics is obviously very desirable but if rare ore is require for advanced ship production (hypothetically) then there would be incentives to look for other types of planets. I really hope there is more depth than just find a nice Terran V and colonize.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »

You would also presumably have an economy of scale to consider.

A class 5 terran world might net you 1000 ore a month but you could easily need over that with proper industrial centres.

A perfect world might make a fantastic start, but one world doesn't make a galactic empire capable of rivalling the Hegmeony, Tri Tacheon or Persean League. As they already have multiple and still have resource shortages.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »

I thought that the different planet types gave different resources, so you are incentivized to colonize all the planet types if you want access to all the resources. Terran planets giving food and organics is obviously very desirable but if rare ore is require for advanced ship production (hypothetically) then there would be incentives to look for other types of planets. I really hope there is more depth than just find a nice Terran V and colonize.
For that, you need Surveying (unless that changes in 0.9), or lucky survey data found in a random wreck.  If you do not have any Surveying, you will be limited mostly to Terran planets, if things stay as they are.  If so, Surveying at some level might become must-have like Electronic Warfare and Loadout Design.

For what it is worth, the super class V Terran I found also had Uncivilized or something.  That would probably add to hazard rating in the upcoming 0.9.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »

I suppose even if you could only get the bearable terran worlds without the surveying perk you would still have a vast possible population, relying on outposts and trade with the core to get along.

So there is still that, even if you can't flag all of the corrosive high resource worlds in between.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2018, 02:43:33 AM »

I don't think save scumming world generation is viable because you can't immediately know if you're successful , you have to explore to know if there are good worlds, which will take a substantial amount of time.
If things are really that dice-roll dependent, I'll write a mod that will flat-out tell players where to go.  Who wants to waste hours of their life only to realize that they're not going to have a reasonably-good game?

That said, I'm guessing that you don't need a Class V perfect world to get going and have a viable Outpost / Colony.  It'll just help make that process faster, is all.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2018, 01:47:03 PM »

I guess I hope that it's easy to get a colony going on common planets in the early game, but that the 'optimal' colony or set of colonies is rare and requires an investment of skills and time to find. In other words, I hope there is something to work towards throughout the course of a campaign.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2018, 03:33:34 AM »

Since we've been talking about stations for a while:

1. Will faction doctrine affect station tech level?

2.Will we see things like pathers stations with SO modules? will differrent  factions have custom stations?

3.speaking of pathers,  will they behave in a manner similar to pirates? They are basically just that.

4. How will factions react to you installing ai cores in colonies? I reckon it would *** off the Ludds and Hegemony?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10