Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468334 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1275 on: January 06, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »

But Decivilized is a mostly positive effect. Gives you a growth bonus. Why would you want it gone?

It's dwarfed by growth incentives. But -25% habitability always hurts.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 06, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »

pollution and decivilized can permanently cripple world, if AI managed to bomb it, as +50 hazard hurts.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 06, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »

Decivilized simply hurts!

If I see Decivilized on a world I plan to colonize permanently, I will use Birdy's trick to build colony, immediately abandon it to remove Decivilized, then rebuild colony for a clean world without Decivilized.

If I colonize it temporarily because of tech mine or simply need a waystation to draw fuel and supplies from, I leave Decivilized alone since I will abandon it eventually.  Even so, population bonus is annoying when I do not want it to grow.

Decivilized penalties are not worth it for permanent colonies.  -2 stability means it is too hard to maintain 10 stability without bonus from Planetary Operations 3 or unused colony slots (meaning no Free Port), and +25% hazard adds a big bite to upkeep.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 08, 2019, 05:06:46 AM »

Oh wow, i haven't really managed to get in the top endgame, barely engaging my first large (ish) proper fleets, but my game dropped from 60 (63) FPS to 22 at the lowest in a relatively non-extreme battle, vanilla (past chatter and rotary). https://youtu.be/6YcEv1B3I6Y?t=2863 I7 2700k, nothing battering my computer in the background (minus the constant stream) or anything like that. I've had some slumps here and there, but 22 FPS?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:32:20 AM by Cosmitz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: January 08, 2019, 09:31:37 AM »

I mean, streaming software has quite an impact, so I can't say anything about what'd be expected or not. Does look like a pretty large battle with lots of fighters, though; how much of the battle size was used/what's your battle size set to?

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 08, 2019, 11:08:00 AM »

Starsector defaults, i'm almost as baseline control of a player as you can have. :) As to streaming, i max out the FPS on the regular, plus it's NVENC hardware encoding on the GPU side, not the CPU.

LE: In settings i see Battle Size set to 500, though i'm certain i didn't touch it. O.o And SS does a full delete/reinstall of core files each install afaik, so that has to have been changed manually post 0.9a RC10? Blargh.

LE2: Fresh installed on another computer, the Battle size is set to 200. Did a few saves/loades/battles, and it stuck to 200. (also is music supposed to start out as 0% and sound to 100? pushing 'defaults' set them both to 100 and battlesize back to 200, weird but notable).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:22:54 AM by Cosmitz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 08, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »

LE: In settings i see Battle Size set to 500, though i'm certain i didn't touch it. O.o And SS does a full delete/reinstall of core files each install afaik, so that has to have been changed manually post 0.9a RC10? Blargh.

LE2: Fresh installed on another computer, the Battle size is set to 200. Did a few saves/loades/battles, and it stuck to 200. (also is music supposed to start out as 0% and sound to 100? pushing 'defaults' set them both to 100 and battlesize back to 200, weird but notable).

The settings are in the registry, so they carry over from install to install, generally, unless the new version specifically says they don't.

What this means is 1) you probably did set it to 500 manually at some point, and 2) there's a bug where in 0.9a where the default is 200 where it should be 300.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 09, 2019, 03:50:59 AM »

Oh wow, i haven't really managed to get in the top endgame, barely engaging my first large (ish) proper fleets, but my game dropped from 60 (63) FPS to 22 at the lowest in a relatively non-extreme battle, vanilla (past chatter and rotary). https://youtu.be/6YcEv1B3I6Y?t=2863 I7 2700k, nothing battering my computer in the background (minus the constant stream) or anything like that. I've had some slumps here and there, but 22 FPS?

I believe the number of fighters/missiles in flight can have a dramatic effect on framerate belying the battle size. I'm on an i4770 with a decent GPU; when I start a fight with 4 Astrals (my forces), the framerate dips a bit when the fighters launch. It gets worse as opposing fighters come into play. And never mind the missile counts. (I have 2x of the large anti-fighter missile racks that fire 40-shot salvos per Astral.)

I've learned to live with it (especially in modded SS), though there was a mod that replaced missile and fighter effects with supposedly more efficient algorithms. No comment on the visual quality as said mod hasn't updated to 0.9a yet (last I checked.) I didn't know of it during the 0.8a era.

I would say avoid large fighter-count battles, but that's nearly impossible with larger fleets.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 09, 2019, 04:06:31 AM »

The settings are in the registry, so they carry over from install to install, generally, unless the new version specifically says they don't.

That explains everything. Including the other computer which had SS at one point installed if i remember right.

Sorry for the bother. :P

I would say avoid large fighter-count battles, but that's nearly impossible with larger fleets.

Will reset battlesize to 300 and see how that goes.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 16, 2019, 10:47:49 AM »

There needs to be some significant improvements on how the AI handles ships that are backed up against the edge of the screen...roughly 30% of battles come down to the player having to chase ships at the edge of the screen since player AI ships will never properly engage when ships are sitting along the edge.  Its just a constant move in, move back out thing, which shouldnt be happening.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 16, 2019, 12:21:44 PM »

(Yeah, already made some tweaks for the .1 release.)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 16, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »

What was the rationale behind making battlefield sides less pushy? I remember that before it was much more aggressive about keeping ships in the playing field.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 16, 2019, 01:58:45 PM »

What was the rationale behind making battlefield sides less pushy? I remember that before it was much more aggressive about keeping ships in the playing field.

I don't remember, but I've also made them more pushy since the .9 release :)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 16, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »

Probably to stop player from camping at corner with Onslaught then kill all enemies with no way for them to flank or surround player-controlled Onslaught.  Probably to mitigate cheese the player can do to AI with the corner or walls.

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 28, 2019, 03:01:50 AM »

seems tag_data.json doesn't work ???
Code
{
"originemMission":{
"name":"????"(Chinese character),