Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468307 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1200 on: December 12, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »

They ought to hail you, iirc, like Pathers do. That is a bit odd; having a hard time thinking of any other circumstances where a fleet would be this large and this persistent.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: December 12, 2018, 12:31:50 PM »

They ought to hail you, iirc, like Pathers do.
...I've never seen Pathers hail me unless I picked the 'talk to them' option?  At which point, depending on rep level, I can sometimes bribe that fleet to leave me alone.  Which is occasionally useful, but can really drain your cash quickly if there are a bunch of pather fleets all in one place, since paying one off doesn't help with the next.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: December 12, 2018, 12:44:29 PM »

I have to hail pathers first too
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: December 12, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »

I mean this sort of thing (see green text), not them actually opening the comm dialog.

https://i.imgur.com/RCoXfkH.png

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: December 12, 2018, 02:03:30 PM »

I mean this sort of thing (see green text), not them actually opening the comm dialog.

Oh.  ...Yeah, I would totally not have noticed that as being anything special.  Would suggest, instead, highlighting the text for "open a comm link", and maybe change it to note, there, that they're trying to hail you.

Edit: Maybe a highlighted "Accept comm request" instead of "Open a comm link"?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:19:29 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: December 12, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »

With fleets joining, it is too easy to miss the hail alert because it appears as yet another fleet joining in unless you read the fine print.  Highlighting the hail option in a different color would probably be more useful.

Similar problem with fleet limit warning in refit screen.  Too easy to miss due to dark gray color text that appears just like other fluff text.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: December 12, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »

Had you not posted that screenshot I would have never known that fleets trying to hail you was A Thing™. I've skipped over that portion of the encounter so many times I've trained myself not to look there. And yes, it gets lost in the fleets joining the fight.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: December 12, 2018, 03:20:45 PM »

I have managed to never once notice that lol
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: December 12, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »

Oh.  ...Yeah, I would totally not have noticed that as being anything special.  Would suggest, instead, highlighting the text for "open a comm link", and maybe change it to note, there, that they're trying to hail you.

It should flat-out not allow you to move to combat until you've accepted/declined the comm request.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: December 12, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »

It should flat-out not allow you to move to combat until you've accepted/declined the comm request.

+1, since it's pretty rare and basically only comes up to warn players of unusual content

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: December 12, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »

Seconding as having never, ever noticed this before.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: December 12, 2018, 05:40:03 PM »

I wonder, did those pirate fleets have anything to say to you? And on a completely unrelated note, did either of you happen to fail any delivery missions some time in the past?
In my case, I did not do any delivery missions at all in the game.  All I did was stop in a system to complete a survey mission and on my way out I saw that 67 pirate ship fleet monstrosity headed toward me.  Since my fleet was only starter Apogee and few frigates, I ran and left it behind.

+1, since it's pretty rare and basically only comes up to warn players of unusual content
Not if all Pathers try to stick my fleet up for money.  That would be another annoying key press once my fleet is strong enough to crush them.

If player does not bother with delivery missions, the Pathers or the rare distress call are the only times player gets hailed.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:42:55 PM by Megas »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1212 on: December 12, 2018, 10:18:06 PM »

Man, we have multiple major forum users who've never noticed the hail message? The notion just feels wild to me.

On making it more visible: Writing the "open a comm link" button in a different color (like the important bar quest(s)) would be helpful while not getting in the way, but may not be colorblind-friendly. Perhaps it should automatically open the comm link, as with the suspected smuggler scans.
(Important: do not make the player have to click the button to open comm link in this case. It'll be the same as the current case if a decline button is present or the same as my proposal if there is no decline option, except with more clicks required.)

Bunshichi Tawara

• Ensign
  • Call Me Exorcist Tawara
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: December 13, 2018, 03:29:35 AM »

Man, we have multiple major forum users who've never noticed the hail message? The notion just feels wild to me.

On making it more visible: Writing the "open a comm link" button in a different color (like the important bar quest(s)) would be helpful while not getting in the way, but may not be colorblind-friendly. Perhaps it should automatically open the comm link, as with the suspected smuggler scans.
(Important: do not make the player have to click the button to open comm link in this case. It'll be the same as the current case if a decline button is present or the same as my proposal if there is no decline option, except with more clicks required.)

your joking right?, if this ain't a joke then I'm speechless. In a game where you are required to read for any context, speechless.  xD

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: December 13, 2018, 04:36:13 AM »

I typically don't bother with reading what does the encounter text say, since a) I know in advance if the fleet in question is hostile, b) in the case it's hostile, unless it's pathers, comm link option is useless. When I encounter pathers, patrols, distress signals and other things like that, I go straight to the comm link.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 87