Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468268 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #735 on: November 19, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »

Some more colony feedback, in no particular order:

Pop increases way too fast, and boosting needs to cost more so it actually sucks as much money as you can put into it. Maybe the costs should be: 1k(3) 5k(4) 50k(5) 500k(6) 1m(7) 5m(8) 10m(9). That should soft lock the player to size 5/6 colonies (so they can't brute force the economy) and help push them to go do high-value tasks instead of rolling in the colony income.

Seems like Cryosanctum should increase defense.

Battlestations seem much deadlier in real combat than in autoresolve.

Free-standing stations should suffer hazard penalties like planets: low gravity, extreme temperature, no atmosphere, etc. Would help explain why they're not everywhere.

Luddic Path sleeper cells are way too common/easily revealed. Like every planet and their dog has sleeper cells.

Shouldn't AI colonies without a Commerce industry lack an open market? Maybe size 5 and up colonies should get an open market automatically; if they have Commerce too then it has more/better stuff.

Related: it felt weird that player colonies never have black markets or military markets.

Took a bunch more notes!

Reaper damage maybe is too high (that is, higher than stated) for some reason? Going to take a detailed look.

I was testing a Harbinger vs. an Onslaught in the sim on Saturday and noticed sometimes 3 Reapers would wreck an Onslaught and other times it took 10 to kill it. Not sure if it was because the Onslaught was shooting the Reapers down or if they were sometimes doing crazy damage.

Ubik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 19, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »

Regarding colony management:

I find it slighty confusing that I have to click every industry/structure to find out which one might be upgraded.

Any chance to add an optical cue for that on the depiction?
For example a greyed out arrow when I lack items for the upgrade, a green one when I can upgrade the industry/structure right now and none when there is no upgrade...

Colony defense:
One of my colonies gets raided. The enemy i stronger than my defense fleet but weaker than my own fleet, so they only engage when I am a bit off.
When I try to join the fight, my own defense fleet always defaults to let the enemy go, preventing me from fighting the raiders.

I'd like to be able to tell my own defense forces what I expect them to do...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:53:28 PM by Ubik »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 19, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »

Related: it felt weird that player colonies never have black markets or military markets.
I vaguely remember some comment that player does not know where it is (because the criminals do not want to tell the judge, jury, and executioner of the state).  Player is the king of his castle.

As for military market, it would be nice to have a military base market if only to dump excess vendor trash if I have a military base.

I was testing a Harbinger vs. an Onslaught in the sim on Saturday and noticed sometimes 3 Reapers would wreck an Onslaught and other times it took 10 to kill it. Not sure if it was because the Onslaught was shooting the Reapers down or if they were sometimes doing crazy damage.
If it explodes like Devastator, it could have variable damage.  I remember testing Proximity Charges and they did less hull damage than blasters despite having the same damage per shot.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 19, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »

I find it slighty confusing that I have to click every industry/structure to find out which one might be upgraded.

Oh yeah, forgot that bothered me too. I think upgrading should be in the same menu as adding industries/structures. It would be much more obvious and would tempt us with previews of the illustrations.

Icons as you mention would be helpful, too.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 19, 2018, 12:24:58 PM »

Bug report
Don't know if it was reported but I get constantly Nebula civ transport drop from fight s against derelicts and AI ships.
They are usually recoverable and are inside of debris.
Kind of strange.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 19, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »

Not sure if this is a bug: I think procurement contracts don't reduce the demand/shortages on a world?

I've run about 600 units or organs on missions to Keptyn Starworks, which has a shortage of 200 units, and the contracts keep coming. Made several hundred thousand quite quickly. That said, the work is dangerous as I need to smuggle it out of lawful stations, past patrols, and then past pirates to get to the station. Quite fun!

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 19, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »

Hi Guys,

0.9 is in a nutshell is a blast.
I really enjoy it. still on my first play through.

My current play through.
Spoiler
I have been really lucky with my start.
took a easy bounty in a system nearby and while scouting the rest of the system,
I found a Legion only with "minor" d-mods. It was a real struggle to get it home (hat to scuttle parts of my fleet)
and was running dry in an empty system though my distress call was answered by a really friendly Sindrian fleet which saved me an my crew.
I had to bank it for some time until i needed a bigger fleet.
Spoiler
[close]
Now I own a class 5 earth like planet with ruins and a class 5 jungle moon orbiting it,with ruins, too.
Also somewhat close to the core sector (~8 Days at Burn 16 to Westernesse, 9 to Tyle )
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Now to the patch itself.

I really like the Apogee. Using it with the (buffed) Plasma Cannon which I now is worth using.
The Perdition (Luddic Path bomber) (but why is it classified high tech?? bug?) is okayish. (might be to weak for 12 OP) but i still use it in combination with a Khopesh Wing.
Warthog wing is not as bad a I thought it would be. Its more in line with other ships.
My new Mod to go is Efficiency Overhaul. (I use it on every ship) like ITU or Burnspeed before they got tweaked.-> Still think no need it needed due to the fact its only about resources and the player is the only
one in need of them and i reduces the combat power due to not having the little OP on other things.
I like how D-Mods a now more common even in the sector
The bar is a good one and I cant wait to see more Quests and such.
Spoiler
Bug in the bar?
Someone offering Heavy Armament for a cheap sum of supplies ~20. Which you can sell at the same(!) station for far more supplies then you traded it for
[close]
Red Planet!
Spoiler
Man did i get mauled the first time...
since I only took a small fleet since it was very far away. The redacted 5! Tachyon Lances BB kicked my ass
[close]

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 19, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot that bothered me too. I think upgrading should be in the same menu as adding industries/structures. It would be much more obvious and would tempt us with previews of the illustrations.

Icons as you mention would be helpful, too.

the game has this problem with diagnosing fleet speed as well; there's plenty of room on the fleet UI for there to be some way to highlight your fleet's speed bottlenecks.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Pimpio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 19, 2018, 01:40:01 PM »

There is a problem with hyperspace sector map generation. The stellar clouds are not in the place that map shows them to be.

SpaceMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 19, 2018, 01:43:32 PM »

Bug report

Expected: When you click on a column you can change the sort to that column. Click on the same column again to toggle between Asc/Desc.

The bug: Clicking on a different column that the current sorted one *also* toggles Asc/Desc for the clicked column.
e.g. On the blueprint production screen, keep clicking between 'ship hull' & 'size'. This changes the sort column but also keeps reversing the sort direction.

So far I can repro this on custom production, colony / planet list, etc.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 19, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »

the game has this problem with diagnosing fleet speed as well; there's plenty of room on the fleet UI for there to be some way to highlight your fleet's speed bottlenecks.

Press F1 while hovering over the Burn counter.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 19, 2018, 01:59:20 PM »

Battlestations seem much deadlier in real combat than in autoresolve.

I thought this too (but figured I was imagining things), but I've joined a battle on my High-Tech Star Fortress (From Mining Lasers then Heavy Blasters and Finally Tachyon Lances so they do upgrade with what weapons you can make which is cool), and it lives up to it's name quite well; huge range, fantastic shields and very much like a super-unfair, bullet-hell, boss on a ship shooter.  Maybe the reason is the ship-size limit when I join a battle; so even with numbers they can't swarm in (and so are easily picked off), where with auto-resolve enemy fleets have no restrictions on how many ships they can field at once?

On another note, this is purely subjective...I wasn't going to bring it up, but since someone bought up the Battlestation, has anything changed with AI controlled ships during combat?  I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, but I've seen cases with dropping shields while under 25% flux to take damage, or not backing away at high flux levels, or backing away to safety and not venting, only to reengage with it's flux still above 60/70% or so.  FYI most of my officers are Steady/Cautious, but the same could be said for ships not commanded by an officer.

It's a subjective thing, so I don't know whether it's something I'm imagining, but I have found myself wishing for the seemingly more careful AI from the last version of the game.

EDIT:
I have a habit of doing this (Finding the answer to my question immediately after posting), but I figured the doctrine "Aggression" only applied to faction created ships.  I just read the tool-tip now and so found it applied also to ships in your own fleet that don't have officers.  I had it on the middle setting which is Aggressive, so I'm going to dial it all the way down to the lowest setting and see if that helps. Whoops  ::)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:14:14 PM by Baqar79 »

Sebenko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 19, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »

Possibly related to the Reapers doing excessive damage, just witnessed a pair of Kopesh one-shot an intact hull Dominator.
Ships produced with custom production still have ISS prefixes instead of player faction ones for their initial names.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:20:40 PM by Sebenko »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 19, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »

what governs the strength of colony patrols? it shows the size and quality in the colony screen, but i think my numbers look pretty good, as does the rest of the colony. yet it only has two tiny "Fast Picket" patrols, and has had exactly those two for ~half a year now.

i got my doctrine set up, i got max stability, i got great access, i got good ship production, i got a Military Base and a Megaport. but even the occasional mercenary patrols that i've seen spawn from it are much bigger than my colony's own patrols.
Spoiler
[close]

typical heavy patrol supposedly looks like this. except it never spawned anything even close to such a heavy patrol:
Spoiler
[close]

i understand there's some randomness, and patrols can get thinned out by fending off pirates and such, and then will likely need a while to respawn. but i don't think that's what's happening here, because those two tiny patrols i do have are the same as they have been for quite a while, even though the colony had everything i thought it could need to spawn more and/or bigger ones for quite a while too.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 19, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »

@Sy: could you email me your save?

The "typical heavy patrol" thing is way off, btw, but you should still have more than two fast pickets given the colony size and stats.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 87