Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468466 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #375 on: October 22, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »

Only thing is my beloved aurora's nerfed!!!  :'(

Had to be done! It's a fairly minor nerf all things considered; it's a fun ship and I'd like to keep it that way.

Also logistics flag will ruin my power-gaming!!!  :'(  Is there a way to turn this off in setting.json???

"maxLogisticsHullmods":2,

Not sure how many spaces for future skills will be left now / how many skills per tree will be in game after patch?

Not entirely sure at this point. I do think I'll cut down the total number of skills, but that's not set in stone.

Does Gryphon's missile autoforge recharge?

Yep, it does. Hmm. But then you're only really getting half the missiles with each re-deploy, for the same cost, so it's probably alright.

Ali

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 22, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »

"maxLogisticsHullmods":2,"

Thanks so much for this!! and for your efforts that allow Starsector to be so modible and allow users to taylor their playthrough's to their individual tastes!!!  ;D

Ah, personally i hope you can maintain a wide selection of skills etc to give players plenty of choice!!! I was sadened at how much WoW cut content to keep a finite amount of skills to learn :(

More options = more fun in my book, ( although i guess you need to keep to maybe 10? active skills but no reason not to allow plenty of passive's and unlocks elsewhere in the skill tree!!??... )

Am sure you'll make a good decision regardless as Starsector is truly a marvel to play!!  :)

Looking forward to easier to find pirate battles in this update!! large pirate fleets have been unusually elusive in my recent playthrough's  :-\
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:42:30 PM by Ali »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 23, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »

Thank you! Really looking forward to that, (gritty) Enterprise roleplaying enabled!

It's not a single ship, right, but you could of course scuttle everything else :)

Scuttle it? What do you take me for?

I will of course lose those other ships in the dramatic opening scene fight, against the terrible pirate armada which is thereby established as my mortal enemy (and totally not just the first big pirate fleet I see). You see, the pirate admiral is actually my uncle, who, as I discovered earlier, murdered my father, an techno-archaelogist, to get to the rare treasurers he uncovered.
After this failed attempt at revenge I will have no choice but to flee to the furthest reaches of the Sector, only to discover a new purpose for my existence, out among the stars. While I turn towards exploration and archaelogy, just like my father once did, my uncle's treachey and my need for revenge never quite leave the back of my mind...

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 23, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »

Thank you! Really looking forward to that, (gritty) Enterprise roleplaying enabled!

It's not a single ship, right, but you could of course scuttle everything else :)

I will of course lose those other ships in the dramatic opening scene fight, against the terrible pirate armada which is thereby established as my mortal enemy (and totally not just the first big pirate fleet I see). You see, the pirate admiral is actually my uncle, who, as I discovered earlier, murdered my father, an techno-archaelogist, to get to the rare treasurers he uncovered.
After this failed attempt at revenge I will have no choice but to flee to the furthest reaches of the Sector, only to discover a new purpose for my existence, out among the stars. While I turn towards exploration and archaelogy, just like my father once did, my uncle's treachey and my need for revenge never quite leave the back of my mind...

So when Alex starts putting story elements into the game, I vote this should be a plotline. All I'm saying.

Carabus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 23, 2018, 12:55:58 PM »

Known hullmods no longer drop

I have a problem with known hullmods not spawning as a item, however. I mean, they could always be used for a extra source if income.

Yeah; imo not worth it for the disappointment factor and just having to check to see if you know it or now. Plus they're not *that* expensive. Blueprints, on the other hand, are, and there known ones can drop.

This creates a strange situation where player is incentivized to delay learning of any new hullmods he finds, but doesn't immediately need to use. Instead storing them in cargo or storage until they are really needed to be learned. This way allowing them to spawn in loot again, to be sold for profit.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:59:29 PM by Carabus »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 23, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »

This creates a strange situation where player is incentivized to delay learning of any new hullmods he finds, but doesn't immediately need to use. Instead storing them in cargo or storage until they are really needed to be learned. This way allowing them to spawn in loot again, to be sold for profit.
Automatically convert known hullmods found as loot into credits.

That said, I do not know if storage of any kind will be 100% safe, given raids and all, not to mention storage fees if it is not your colony.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 23, 2018, 06:30:12 PM »

More options = more fun in my book, ( although i guess you need to keep to maybe 10? active skills but no reason not to allow plenty of passive's and unlocks elsewhere in the skill tree!!??... )

I think that's true as long as the options generally provide interesting choices, and it feels like with the current numbers, the options actually outnumber the choices quite a bit, if that makes sense.

Am sure you'll make a good decision regardless as Starsector is truly a marvel to play!!  :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence :)

A red-handed ... techno-archaeologist, apparently.

That's a fair point. There are also cases where knowing a hullmod will mean a hullmod you don't know will drop, though; that's just not how stores work.

Bribe Guntails

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 23, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »

That's a fair point. There are also cases where knowing a hullmod will mean a hullmod you don't know will drop, though; that's just not how stores work.
Alternatively hull mods could be worth 0 credits to sell, or you automatically learn them when they're first transferred into your fleet inventory (with feedback before the screen closes).
I like the latter idea, just need a check to prevent learning already-learned mods.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 24, 2018, 02:11:32 AM »

I'd prefer if they got re-rolled into non-hullmod items of similar rarity but this is a really minor point.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 24, 2018, 07:57:41 AM »

•Implemented Tech-Mining Industry
?Chance to find blueprints, modspecs and other rare items, based on the size of ruins being mined
?Generates some basic commodities (fuel, supplies, metals, machinery); delivered to gathering point
?Output goes down over time

This reminds me alot of another book from H. Beam Piper (Space Vikings), The Cosmic Computer. It describes an entire planet where the industry is based on tech mining, as it was once a miliatry staging point in an interstellar war. The protagonists are looking for the crown jewel of the technological remains, said super computer. I dind't get very far yet though, the blatant 50s misogyny is a real turn-off.

•Can "stabilize" a colony that's suffering from Recent Unrest?Maximum equal to Recent Unrest minus one

?Expensive - generally not worth it purely to improve colony income through higher stability
?Primarily a means to stave off the decivilization of a bombarded/raided colony

Doesn't that mean you can never decivilize a rich factions colony? Like, you completly control the system, raid/bomb the enemy colony to reduce stability, they just pay a heap of credits and like by an invisible hand, all your destructive effort is undone? Same for the reverse, just channeling credits seems like a boring way to safe your colony.
Maybe something like a expensive "disaster relief fleet" that has to be send from another planet would provide more chances of interaction.

•Added hullmods:

Looking forward to playing around with those civillian hullmods:)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:56:07 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Carabus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 24, 2018, 08:07:20 AM »

Alternatively hull mods could be worth 0 credits to sell, or you automatically learn them when they're first transferred into your fleet inventory (with feedback before the screen closes).
I like the latter idea, just need a check to prevent learning already-learned mods.

I like this idea too. Could be combined with them "disappearing" from markets once you learn them. And make markets only ever have 1 hullmod per stack so you can't buy more. This way there is no way of double-acquiring one hullmod (as they won't appear in loot either), and also it won't look like a trade good to be sold, as you will never have it in your inventory. And without separate "learn" step there will be one click less. :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:14:31 AM by Carabus »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 24, 2018, 09:05:14 AM »

If learned hull mods do not spawn, there is no point in having them be worth money. They only time you would sell them is if they were so bad you would never use them, or if you were abusing the method mentioned above (leaving them in storage 'unlearned' to farm more). Neither of these seem like desirable game mechanics. Maybe a third case where you are very desperate for money, but they aren't worth much, so that hardly seems realistic.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 24, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »

This is a case where gameplay considerations trump logic or verisimilitude.  If anything, I would not like it because I get a bit less loot and feel ripped off, but since exact loot varies, player has no way of knowing if the hullmod would drop in the first place (if he did not have the hullmod).

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 24, 2018, 10:00:12 AM »

To be frank, why wouldn’t you endeavour to sell already known hullmods? They may be redundant to you but there is always someone where that is not the case. It’s a really good way to make money

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 24, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »

This reminds me alot of another book from H. Beam Piper (Space Vikings), The Cosmic Computer. It describes an entire planet where the industry is based on tech mining, as it was once a miliatry staging point in an interstellar war. The protagonists are looking for the crown jewel of the technological remains, said super computer. I dind't get very far yet though, the blatant 50s misogyny is a real turn-off.

Yeah, that may or may not be a direct inspiration for tech-mining. Aaand, yeah, I kind of had to approach the books as a "historical artifact" to get past that stuff - like, they're very interesting, but it's also hard to unreservedly recommend them.

Doesn't that mean you can never decivilize a rich factions colony? Like, you completly control the system, raid/bomb the enemy colony to reduce stability, they just pay a heap of credits and like by an invisible hand, all your destructive effort is undone? Same for the reverse, just channeling credits seems like a boring way to safe your colony.
Maybe something like a expensive "disaster relief fleet" that has to be send from another planet would provide more chances of interaction.

Well, the AI doesn't do that :) Right now, it's just a mechanic for the player to be able to do something to save one of their colonies. If the AI did do this, then it'd probably be possible to balance out with costs and alternate demands on credits. For example, does it do that, or does it launch a military operation to defend another system? As long as it's plausible, I think it'd be alright. A relief fleet is a nice idea, though; could definitely go in that direction if it were to get more fleshed out.

(It also wouldn't undo all of the destruction - you may stabilize the colony and prevent decivilization, but all of its industries are still knocked out for the better part of a year, and it may have gone down in size as well.)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 87