Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468258 times)

mkire

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #240 on: September 06, 2018, 02:46:43 AM »

While we're on the subject of polishing...

Prometheus still uses a drone system instead of drone wings like every other ship that previously used drones.

Also given Expanded Magazines has nothing to do with Ballistics anymore maybe it should have a different icon and be called Expanded Capacitors or something instead. Or maybe it should stop existing since it just doesn't affect that many weapons and feels more like an OP tax than anything.
i still find it useful for the weapons that do use it (the burst pd lasers are a prime example),

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2018, 04:12:43 AM »

Expanded Magazines feels like a relic from a bygone era and would not mind seeing it removed.  It feels required on Onslaught (for TPCs) and the few other ships that use Autopulse Laser.  Occasionally handy for AM Blaster if twenty shots is not enough, although I prefer if ammo for that weapon was done away with.  Twenty shots is sometimes enough before CR decays, and AM Blaster is very expensive already by itself.

Autopulse Laser looks cheap at 20 OP, until you plug Expanded Magazines in to make it more functional, then its actual OP cost can vary, maybe closer to the (overpriced) plasma cannon.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »

I kinda like it, because it can create synergy effects, like combining Autopulse and Burst PD. Same is true for Advanced Optics. It's fun to consider synergies during refit, I'd rather have more than less.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:59 AM »

I just made it affect refire rates (raises alpha DPS, but costs more Flux).  Seemed like the simplest way to make it relevant.  As it is, it'd probably be best if it went down in costs, given the marginal use-cases.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »

Expanded Magazines feels like a relic from a bygone era and would not mind seeing it removed.  It feels required on Onslaught (for TPCs) and the few other ships that use Autopulse Laser.  Occasionally handy for AM Blaster if twenty shots is not enough, although I prefer if ammo for that weapon was done away with.  Twenty shots is sometimes enough before CR decays, and AM Blaster is very expensive already by itself.

Autopulse Laser looks cheap at 20 OP, until you plug Expanded Magazines in to make it more functional, then its actual OP cost can vary, maybe closer to the (overpriced) plasma cannon.

If it increased burst size from burst-firing weapons (Thumper, Light/Heavy Needlers), that could give an extra purpose for Expanded Mags (if the reload rate was increased to compensate, so the DPS remains the same but burst damage becomes better).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2018, 10:20:20 AM »

I had no problem with Expanded Magazine gaining new life if it provided another benefit.  Increased burst size, faster clip recharge, whatever.

Although in case of increased burst size and reload times, I probably would prefer the more continuous option.  Too long reload time has a downside too despite Starsector favoring burst weapons to the point that AM Blaster is more effective despite having worse stats than IR Pulse Laser on paper.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:22:15 AM by Megas »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »

Yeah, longer burst would hurt Needlers in any situations where enemy can make said burst a wasted one. Kinetics work best when your fire flows as constant stream mixed with HE, otherwise enemy can armor tank your kinetic burst then shield tank your HE separately. Longer burst would also improve efficiency of avoidance/blocking with phase skimmer/ fortress shield/ damper field/ etc by enemy.

Needlers are vulnerable to armor tanking as is (even if AI doesn't fully exploit that fact), I wouldn't pay OP tax to make situation worse.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2018, 11:51:19 AM »

Not just that, but also flux load.  Part of the reason why a Needler and Phase Lance combo can be dangerous is the attacker can max flux very fast and can then be cherry tapped on shields for an easy overload.  Also part of the reason why plasma cannon is generally impractical to use.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »

Burst kinetics have to be backed up by something that forces the AI to put up shields, but that doesn't necessarily have to be HE; EMP weapons work just as well. A Falcon or Eagle with Heavy Needlers and an Ion Beam can make decent use of the burst, as can a Medusa with Light Needlers and Ion Cannons.

I think Expanded Magazines is fine. It encourages mounting more than one magazine-style weapon to get the most out of the bonus, which can lead to more interesting builds. A Sunder with 1 Autopulse and 2 Ion Pulsers, a Paragon with 4 Antimatter Blasters and 2 Autopulse on the front, that sort of thing.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #249 on: September 07, 2018, 05:13:29 AM »

Didn't see it in the changelog, so quick question: are there API methods to bring up the "name your faction" dialog screen, and to check if the player has already gone through it at least once?

borisdm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2018, 06:29:33 AM »

Hello How do i get my hands on 0.9a??

Thanx
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:04:21 AM by borisdm »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »

wait until it comes out like the rest of us
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »

Didn't see it in the changelog, so quick question: are there API methods to bring up the "name your faction" dialog screen, and to check if the player has already gone through it at least once?

No and yes (via Misc.isPlayerFactionSetUp()) - is the former an issue for Nex? The faction config dialog comes up when 1) you colonize your first planet, and 2) when you click on the faction name in the trade/colony info screen.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2018, 09:56:53 AM »

No and yes (via Misc.isPlayerFactionSetUp()) - is the former an issue for Nex? The faction config dialog comes up when 1) you colonize your first planet, and 2) when you click on the faction name in the trade/colony info screen.
Hmm, it's a bit awkward if the player were to get their first market by conquering an existing one, and then see it using the default faction name (especially if it's still "Your"). It's not so bad if they can fix the problem from a market screen, although that doesn't sound like the most visible feature.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2018, 10:19:54 AM »

Let me make a note. It *is* possible to set it to something else in code, btw - i.e. all the faction setup the dialog does can be done with mod-accessible calls, afaik.

(As far as its visibility, it tells you how to get to it the first time it shows up, so hopefully that'll help. Plus the name glows on mouseover, and there's a similar set of interactions for naming/renaming a colony, which might help with that as well.)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 87