Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468449 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »

Like I said, there are other changes as well, so I'm not sure anything much re: balance makes much sense to talk about without accounting for those.

You telling us there will be another changelog to feast upon soon?

PS: another destroyer would srsly be rad, I think combat destroyers is one of the main content holes in vanilla. You've got a good point of origin with that idea. :)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »

Like I said, there are other changes as well, so I'm not sure anything much re: balance makes much sense to talk about without accounting for those.
Considering the removal of arc overlap, I assume that Odyssey is becoming more of a carrier now. I don't really like this direction, but I don't know if it's really going that way either.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2018, 03:30:17 PM »

It had still just two wings in the gif. Maybe it's just the flux stats that have been boosted.

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but the IPD-AI could use some love, it's fairly useless, since none of the small weapons are useful as PD. Maybe it could increase their precision and turn rate?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »

You telling us there will be another changelog to feast upon soon?

It's possible :)

Considering the removal of arc overlap, I assume that Odyssey is becoming more of a carrier now.

It is not!

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but the IPD-AI could use some love, it's fairly useless, since none of the small weapons are useful as PD. Maybe it could increase their precision and turn rate?

Yeah, it's been revamped :) Also renamed to "Fire Control AI"...

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2018, 06:30:16 AM »

I'll be honest, I think the Plasma Burn looks silly. I mean I'm not expecting realism here and it looks fun to use but it looks really odd to see a ship at that size accelerate that quickly and then lose all of the momentum like it hit something.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:39:55 AM by Cyan Leader »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »

So now we have Burn Drive, Maneuvering Jets, Plasma Jets, and Plasma Burn?  It feels almost unnecessary.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2018, 09:27:25 AM »

I'll be honest, I think the Plasma Burn looks silly. I mean I'm not expecting realism here and it looks fun to use but it looks really odd to see a ship at that size accelerate that quickly and then lose all of the momentum like it hit something.

Fair enough. Maybe the one gif isn't conveying it fully. I tend to be pretty bothered by things that feel like they "break" the physics of the game, and this doesn't feel like it to me - it feels great to use. I also did tone the acceleration/deceleration curves down a bit, though.

(Btw: for me it recalls an "Enterprise coming out of warp" feeling, and I'm pretty sure I've seen similar looking stuff in other sci-fi, though I can't right now recall where.)

So now we have Burn Drive, Maneuvering Jets, Plasma Jets, and Plasma Burn?  It feels almost unnecessary.

Also phase skimmer/teleporter, and to some extent phase cloak and temporal shell. There's a lot of mobility systems in the game, because mobility is important, fun, and there are so many ways to go about it.

Buuut, I'm not really sure what you mean, so maybe I'm missing an angle on this.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 03, 2018, 10:21:24 AM »

Plasma Burn does not seem like a total copy.  At least the shield stays up.  Based on the animated image, I have no problem with it so far.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »

We need more built-in and unique weapons like the Onslaught's Thermal Pulse Cannons. Those are tremendously fun and make the hull quite a bit more standout.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »

Plasma Burn does not seem like a total copy.  At least the shield stays up.  Based on the animated image, I have no problem with it so far.
Mmm, didn't notice that.  Suppose so.

We need more built-in and unique weapons like the Onslaught's Thermal Pulse Cannons. Those are tremendously fun and make the hull quite a bit more standout.
Agree, unique and built-in weapons can make the world feel a bit more lived-in, not everything is modular.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »

Plasma Burn does not seem like a total copy.  At least the shield stays up.  Based on the animated image, I have no problem with it so far.
It makes Odyssey look like an oversized Aurora, though I suspect it might not outclass Aurora at rapid insertion. Especially since forward boost for a broadside ships isn't very convenient...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2018, 01:40:32 PM »

It makes Odyssey look like an oversized Aurora, though I suspect it might not outclass Aurora at rapid insertion. Especially since forward boost for a broadside ships isn't very convenient...
Odyssey has been Aurora's big brother for most if not all of Starsector's past history.  Both used to have High Energy Focus, soon both will have mobility systems.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »

Since you seem to work on a lot of smaller not-high-priority stuff, Alex, let me just mention the enlarged pictures idea again :)

Btw., I think the plasma burn looks nice. I think a concern people have is that too many similar ship systems might be introduced. A distinct system for each ship is good, but similar systems make matters confusing. For example, it would be bad to have fast missile racks, quick reloading missile racks and a missile rack enhancer.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2018, 03:27:03 PM »

Since you seem to work on a lot of smaller not-high-priority stuff, Alex, let me just mention the enlarged pictures idea again :)

Ahh, sorry! The newer illustrations are at the size they're displayed at (in significant part for loading/vram reasons), and we'll probably convert the existing ones at some point, too.

Btw., I think the plasma burn looks nice. I think a concern people have is that too many similar ship systems might be introduced. A distinct system for each ship is good, but similar systems make matters confusing. For example, it would be bad to have fast missile racks, quick reloading missile racks and a missile rack enhancer.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2018, 06:23:41 PM »

I think the Odyssey having a mobility system is just par for the course in regards to the High Tech doctrine. It does look interesting, to say the least. I remember pooh-poohing the Aurora ship system change prior to 0.8 because I wanted a high tech ship-of-the-line but Plasma Jets made the Aurora go from mediocre to near-broken. I'm also interested in what other changes it got. If it is indeed a Battlecruiser, part of me hopes that it gets something akin to what the Conquest got with its Heavy Weapons hull mod (not identical but something that makes it unique).

I'm also secretly hoping for another High Tech destroyer, maybe another small Energy weapon that deals hard flux, and a [REDACTED] Capital ship of some sort...if we're posting wish lists. :)

(P.S. Did the Terminator Drone get changed, altered, or is that a new option? Looks like two drones with a PD Laser and IR Pulse.)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 87