Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468346 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »

My best guess is that this will be excessively used by Luddic Church fleets or only available from Luddic markets.
There might also be some spec change on it so it can be worth it's cost as a "large" pd, since it's now quite crappy.
I'm pretty sure there will be other thing called Guardian now, which caused the PD system name change. Remember Alex's tweets?
Hm, sorry, I can't really recall anything related.
About when was that tweet?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:00:42 PM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

c0nr4d1c4l

• Commander
  • Local forum transient
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2018, 12:49:46 PM »

Oh mah gawd....COLONIES!
"Slap slap slap, clap clap clap"

Head salesman and CEO of the Discount Shipyard

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »

Great, thanks Alex!

I'll need a few goes at that to take it all in.

Poor Mudskipper MkII.

Insult to injury.

:D

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2018, 10:01:55 PM »

Your formatting is messed up, yo.
Check out this thread: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=13249.0
I'm not seeing anything specifically "new" tbh.
I mean, I do see a "Paladin PD" up there, but I'm not seeing any "Guardian" candidate.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2018, 09:01:53 AM »

Poor Mudskipper MkII.

Insult to injury.

Oh man, I didn't catch that! That's hilarious!

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, my favorite ship the Afflictor was nerfed :'( :'( :'(

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »

Hey Alex, how complete would you say the roster of vanilla ships and weapons is at this point? Are we looking at 90% of ships are in the game and then 85% of weapons—I ask because not very many new ships/weapons were added over what is nearly a year of development time. Now obviously you've got some stations going in and surely a couple REDACTED ships/weapons, but do you feel most niches have been filled, then?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »

Poor Mudskipper MkII.

Insult to injury.

Hah, yes, that's exactly right.

Hey Alex, how complete would you say the roster of vanilla ships and weapons is at this point? Are we looking at 90% of ships are in the game and then 85% of weapons—I ask because not very many new ships/weapons were added over what is nearly a year of development time. Now obviously you've got some stations going in and surely a couple REDACTED ships/weapons, but do you feel most niches have been filled, then?

I think what's in covers the bases pretty nicely. There are certainly some more niches that could be filled, but that would always be the case, for increasingly narrow niches. If 1.0 shipped with the current set of ships and weapons, I would be 100% ok with it. Of course, there's still the possibility for adding more, but it's on the "whether me or David feel like adding something in particular" basis, rather any kind of specific plan to do so. The Devastator is a pretty good example - it didn't really need to be in, specifically, but it does have a role and, well, I just thought it'd be fun and wanted to do it.

Or, something like the Gremlin - the introduction of doctrine controls and a "phase" component to it made having a low-grade phase ship desirable, and there we go.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, my favorite ship the Afflictor was nerfed
Maybe quad Reaper loadout did, but AM blaster loadout, if anything, probably got better.  More damage to AM blaster shots?  That is good.  Using a faster ship to unload two or three AM blaster shots with more damage per run, instead of Harbinger's triple Mining Blaster, is better - and cheaper.  Not only that, after Afflictor unloads AM blasters, it can back off (for AM blasters to cool down) and let its buddies wail on the enemy while Amplifier lasts.

If anything, the change from disruptor to amplifier is either upgrade or sidegrade for Afflictor (playership that abuses invulnerability frames during decloak), while Harbinger getting disruptor will probably be a big upgrade.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »

Any notable differences between Hegemony and Diktat now?  You user Pathers as an example, but they were already fairly distinct, while I feel Hege/SD fleets are almost colorswaps sometimes.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2018, 12:43:50 PM »

Any notable differences between Hegemony and Diktat now?  You user Pathers as an example, but they were already fairly distinct, while I feel Hege/SD fleets are almost colorswaps sometimes.

Did I mistype? If I did, I meant to say Luddic Church, not path.

As far as the Hegemony and the Diktat, there are some differences, but they're supposed to be fairly similar, what with the Diktat being directly derived from a Hegemony task force going rogue.

The main difference now is that the Hegemony has higher-quality officers, while the Diktat has more and higher quality ships (putting that fuel money to use). In practice, Hegemony ships still have good quality because of their manufacturing. The Diktat also doesn't use carriers much, while the Hegemony uses them a bit, which also means that it may end up with a Legion in one of its fleets, where the Diktat wouldn't. There are also significant differences in what hulls and weapons are available, especially on the capital side of the spectrum.

Just for fun, a comparison of a couple of randomly generated patrols:

https://imgur.com/a/SVfXmyo

Note that the Hegemony one has a high quality due to nanoforges, so actually has less d-mods despite having lower doctrine quality. The Diktat may get a nanoforge on Sindria as well; haven't gotten all that sorted yet.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, my favorite ship the Afflictor was nerfed
Maybe quad Reaper loadout did, but AM blaster loadout, if anything, probably got better.  More damage to AM blaster shots?  That is good.  Using a faster ship to unload two or three AM blaster shots with more damage per run, instead of Harbinger's triple Mining Blaster, is better - and cheaper.  Not only that, after Afflictor unloads AM blasters, it can back off (for AM blasters to cool down) and let its buddies wail on the enemy while Amplifier lasts.

If anything, the change from disruptor to amplifier is either upgrade or sidegrade for Afflictor (playership that abuses invulnerability frames during decloak), while Harbinger getting disruptor will probably be a big upgrade.

It's not a fatal nerf for Afflictor Reaper usage either. Afflictor can bypass omni-shields with Reapers vs Cruiser or Capital sized targets without QD, though it's obviously harder to pull off (shoot corner of enemy ship ahead of shield rotation). But in exchange you get a chance to inflict 150% damage.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »

I think what's in covers the bases pretty nicely. There are certainly some more niches that could be filled, but that would always be the case, for increasingly narrow niches. If 1.0 shipped with the current set of ships and weapons, I would be 100% ok with it. Of course, there's still the possibility for adding more, but it's on the "whether me or David feel like adding something in particular" basis, rather any kind of specific plan to do so. The Devastator is a pretty good example - it didn't really need to be in, specifically, but it does have a role and, well, I just thought it'd be fun and wanted to do it.

Or, something like the Gremlin - the introduction of doctrine controls and a "phase" component to it made having a low-grade phase ship desirable, and there we go.

For the most part, I agree, though I'd argue there's a pretty big need for an additional Small Energy weapon that deals hard flux. Right now, IR Pulse is the only "real" one.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »

On topic of those sliders (because that's what they really are), what do they scale from? Individual shipyards/planets, faction size, wealth?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 87