Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Some small stuff  (Read 5627 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Some small stuff
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:57:39 AM »

- You can't use modspecs in the salvage screen after transferring them to your cargo hold. That's a little strange, since you can use them at any other place.

-  In pursuit scenarios, it's pretty annoying that your ships sometimes brake for asteroids upon entering the map. This random event can foil your chances to capture a target.

-  In the deployment dialog, the position of the deployment costs makes it look as if they were officer levels. A few more pixels between them would help. (Ignore the red circle, I was indeed confused by this.)
Spoiler
[close]

- When upgrading an officer, please don't close the level up dialog after each level. Only when no further level ups are available. It is annoying having to re-open it all the time.

- I'd personally love the option to start in (or acquire early on) an Odyssey (d) class. It's the perfect ship for lone exploration, but by the time you can afford it, that role is obsolete.

- If hyperspace storms would show up on the radar, that would enable you to traverse hyperspace while zoomed in on your fleet.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:00:51 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Some small stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:39:27 AM »

-  In pursuit scenarios, it's pretty annoying that your ships sometimes brake for asteroids upon entering the map. This random event can foil your chances to capture a target.
Originally, ships did not break for asteroids.  There were complaints about people taking heavy damage (and maybe a fatality or two), with ships burning into random asteroids and had no way to avoid it.  Breaking for asteroids is probably the lesser of two evils.  It is annoying that you lose speed, but probably less so than taking avoidable damage.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »

Originally, ships did not break for asteroids.  There were complaints about people taking heavy damage (and maybe a fatality or two), with ships burning into random asteroids and had no way to avoid it.  Breaking for asteroids is probably the lesser of two evils.  It is annoying that you lose speed, but probably less so than taking avoidable damage.

Happens 50% of my pursuit,  where i take a asteroid when he spawn and lose the speed burst '.'
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 10:30:27 AM »

Ships could be invincible while burning in. Then they wouldn't need to brake for asteroids, or anything else for that matter.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 12:28:53 PM »

- You can't use modspecs in the salvage screen after transferring them to your cargo hold. That's a little strange, since you can use them at any other place.

It gets weird if you can use up items during a transaction. That's the condition when you can't use an item, btw; if you were e.g. in the middle of buying something then you couldn't use the modspecs right then, either. It'd be nice to be able to do that, but I don't want to do it quickly, since a minor screwup here can lead to duping etc.

Hmm. I mean, that sucks, but that's the breaks sometimes? (Ha, ha.) Also can work for you if the tables are turned..

-  In the deployment dialog, the position of the deployment costs makes it look as if they were officer levels. A few more pixels between them would help. (Ignore the red circle, I was indeed confused by this.)

Funny - noticed this a few months ago and it was bothering me, so, already fixed!

- When upgrading an officer, please don't close the level up dialog after each level. Only when no further level ups are available. It is annoying having to re-open it all the time.

Good call, did that. Also added "G" as a shortcut key for "Level up" in the dialog, so you can do it all quick-like.

- I'd personally love the option to start in (or acquire early on) an Odyssey (d) class. It's the perfect ship for lone exploration, but by the time you can afford it, that role is obsolete.

That'd be a lot of fun, yeah. But I'm also extremely hesitant to give the player a capital ship straight out the gate. Open to ideas here; I mean, it's not going to be a starting ship, you know? That'd just be crazy.

- If hyperspace storms would show up on the radar, that would enable you to traverse hyperspace while zoomed in on your fleet.

I'll see if I can take a look at some point - that makes sense and would probably be good, but I'm very much in a "focus on what's essential for the next release" mode right now.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »

Odyssey (D)
There are two ways of doing that come immediately to mind.

1. Salvage
Much like the derelicts around Petra in Galatia are always fixed, there could be a mothballed Ody sat around somewhere out of the way, but still somewhat near the core sectors. Bonus if this could be made semi-random - like here is a list of possible places to spawn this thing, now pick one for this game during inital gen.
Then it's up to the player to find it.

2. Continuation of Heg mission/story
When you deliver the message from Galatia to Corvus, the base commander on Jangala gives you a bit of a prompt when you ask what to do next.
Here is a good place to insert something about exploration, and how there's a) a dusty old ship just taking up space in the yard that would be really good at that, or b) some rumours of a large derelict near xyz, but we can't spare the ships etc etc.
But they can't just give this to anyone and the player is then prompted to do a few "good deeds", raise thier rep a bit and check back.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 06:14:39 PM »

Odyssey is not good at exploration.  Its capacity is not much better than other capitals, and it is a fuel hog.  Also, there is that new (D) mod highlighted in the 0.9 patch notes that reduces capacity.  Early game player probably cannot afford to support a capital.

Odyssey may have had better explorer stats during early versions, but not today.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 12:34:29 AM »

Maybe some special, modified version of it. It can lose one large mount for more cargo space and maybe some combat speed for more efficient fuel consumption. Something like that. 
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »

That'd be a lot of fun, yeah. But I'm also extremely hesitant to give the player a capital ship straight out the gate. Open to ideas here; I mean, it's not going to be a starting ship, you know? That'd just be crazy.

Maybe the simplest solution would be to make the Odyssey(d) a common hull on black markets. I'm OK with having to earn it, I just want to be able to do so while it's still useful.

Maybe even a civilian version that has less armament but better logistical stats?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »

If this kind of start was generally available, if it was good, it'd be basically mandatory, right? That doesn't seem good. And if it wasn't effective, then it might as well not be there. Though if you had to buy it, that'd alleviate much of that concern.

Hmm. This is giving me an idea for a mission - some sort of Odyssey enthusiast gets in touch with you, tells you where to find a heavily damaged one, and gives you missions along the way, gradually removing d-mods from it one by one. It wouldn't be always-available and there'd be a commitment to seeing it through, but it also sounds like it could be fun.

There's also some potential in making the Odyssey lean more into being an exploration ***. Well, will think about it!

(I guess in theory an Odyssey might be available early if one finds it floating around, but that isn't super likely.)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 03:24:29 AM »

OMG, all this time I wasn't thinking of the Odyssey at all, I was thinking of the Apogee-class cruiser! ^^" That makes a little more sense as an early available (d) hull, doesn't it?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 04:58:18 AM »

There is always the Venture boss in the tutorial.  Apogee is not much of a fighter anymore, so might as well use the Venture.  Odyssey as it is, is kind of crappy as a fighter without Tachyon Lances too (thanks weak shield and low OP), and it needs a huge boost in fuel and cargo capacities if it wants to play explorer, maybe better fuel efficiency (than normal capitals) too so it does not kill fuel for beginners.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 06:38:36 AM »

Don't feel so bad Gothars, I read the entire thread thinking you were talking about the Apogee as well..

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 11:06:39 AM »

OMG, all this time I wasn't thinking of the Odyssey at all, I was thinking of the Apogee-class cruiser! ^^" That makes a little more sense as an early available (d) hull, doesn't it?

Oh! Yes, that makes a lot more sense :)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 11:23:41 AM »

There is always the Venture boss in the tutorial.  Apogee is not much of a fighter anymore, so might as well use the Venture.  Odyssey as it is, is kind of crappy as a fighter without Tachyon Lances too (thanks weak shield and low OP), and it needs a huge boost in fuel and cargo capacities if it wants to play explorer, maybe better fuel efficiency (than normal capitals) too so it does not kill fuel for beginners.
Appogee might be overpriced in DP, but it’s still a .6 shield with a large energy slot and large missile
Pages: [1] 2 3