Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: When are you going to finish this game or even release a new patch?  (Read 29543 times)

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: When are you going to finish this game or even release a new patch?
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2018, 03:04:16 AM »

In the meantime adding a few mods (Nexerelin, Dynasector, some hulls and factions to taste) makes the game feature-complete. Any future patches will feel more like expansions, so the polish is appreciated :)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2018, 07:50:01 AM »

With all due respect, they don't. They are excellent addons though.

Shuka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »

Everytime I come back to this game, a bunch of things have been added and I lose myself in it for a couple months, getting probably another 100 hours of entertainment out of it. I've noticed I play completely differently than many other people who write about their experiences, and each run is different than the last.

Somebody mentioned in this thread that if you can't handle toxic communities you shouldn't be part of online communities. That explicit gatekeeping was very funny to read, and I'm glad starsector is doing its own thing.

Game publishing these days is terrible. DLC's is paying for content that should have been in release, and lootboxes are literally gambling. We could dig a little deeper and find some really dysfunctional development practices. Anyone advocating corporate publishing methods is a very well trained consumer, hooked into this "give us everything, your money, your friend list, your data, your psychological profile."

Starsector is an incredible product, and I'm proud of its development. There is plenty of corporate developing going on out there, if starsector isn't babying you enough then go give rockstar 10$ every month for another hat for your avatar.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 08:05:46 PM »

reading this thread made me jump off the fence and buy the game

substantive testimonials don't lie in a time when there are a lot of noise between "a good or great game" and "customer who wants it" (hi Steam I'm looking at you)

snooze

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2018, 07:33:08 AM »

While I do understand that it takes time to develop a game like this, I think there should come a time when enough is enough and the game has to be wrapped up. Don't do a Chris Roberts and develop this game forever because that would be a mistake. You lot might not care because you've invested the most precious currency of them all - time - but the rest of us standing on the sideline would rather see closure.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2018, 08:04:20 AM »

While I do understand that it takes time to develop a game like this, I think there should come a time when enough is enough and the game has to be wrapped up. Don't do a Chris Roberts and develop this game forever because that would be a mistake. You lot might not care because you've invested the most precious currency of them all - time - but the rest of us standing on the sideline would rather see closure.

I'd rather have the opposite - steady stream of early releases followed by expansions.

Battle Brothers did exactly what you imply - decided that some point is enough and stopped at that, releasing only few minor patches and a mini-dlc after. Despite having ton of untapped potential for expansions/deepening of game systems. Devs had their reasons (financial ones were implied), but this was hardly optimal outcome for game fans.

Comparison to Star Citizen isn't fair either - SS had playable *and worth playing* releases for quite a few years already. And that's without milking fans by selling virtual ships in an unreleased game.

djcrovley

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »

Lets face it, first 18 months of waiting for this game to be release are painful, after that u just sit and check page every 2 weeks and hope to play it before 2020.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »

Somebody mention Battle Brothers??
<angry noises>
Spoiler
Battle Brothers is a game that could easily steal disappointment of the decade for me.
its not bad game per see - actually pretty decent but at the same moment it have plenty of strange designs and a tons of wasted potential.
Encrypted files and lack of any way to mod it is the biggest one.
I still ponder how at anybody could or can think it was good idea. (I don't even...)

SS on the other hand have steady(even if slow) updates and lively modding scene and to make minor tweaks or mods all you can need is a Notepad++ and GIMP.
Imagine that Alex would keep all files under key and say right now say final release is in July make some half hearten outposts and that's it.
That how final BB update happen.
[close]
<more angry noises>

Skyrage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2018, 12:55:44 AM »

Long development times is not necessarily a bad thing.

But on the other hand having your customers dying of old age before the game is completed isn't all that great either.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2018, 02:37:05 AM »

My only worry is that hardware will outstrip what the game supports.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2018, 08:42:51 AM »

My only worry is that hardware will outstrip what the game supports.
Yeah, I think Apple is dropping iOS support for java?
https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/995010382862405632
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Hamerton9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Camslurp
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2018, 01:40:11 AM »

The long wait is worth it my friend.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »

Apple is actually dropping OpenGL support, which is the bigger issue.  You can run the game on a newer version of Java - there might be minor issues, but it'll still probably run.  Starsector would have to run in an OpenGL-to-Metal adapter interface, which will significantly hurt performance.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »

Well, LWJGL now supports Vulkan...
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2018, 04:58:42 PM »

Who cares?  Apple won't support Vulkan either.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5