Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Oh thee pirate smuggler!  (Read 5718 times)

JP161

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Oh thee pirate smuggler!
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »

Arrrrrrr.

I so dislike their ability to turn from red to gray.

Yeh, that's all I had to say. Good day.

::)

Philder

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Oh thee pirate smuggler!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »

Tricksy smugglers gonna tricksy smuggle. SMUGGLE smuggle smuggle, SMUGGLE smuggle smuggle....

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »

I dislike double agents' reputation tied with independents.  I had reputation with Independents ruined (before promptly reloading a save) due to their clunky game mechanics.  Smugglers are annoying, but worse are the big salvager fleets.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »

The only thing that bothers me about this mechanic is that I can't do the same.  If I could flip over to a false flag, go pirate and attack someone and then flip back with no consequences... well.  Then there wouldn't be a problem here, would there?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »

Yeah, as I've already said, I don't think smugglers, scavengers, bounty hunters and alike should be fully a part of independent faction. I'd rather see them as 'free agents', with some player-like features and behaviors (more like SPAZ 2 captains).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 10:48:20 AM »

NPCs are not fooled by our transponder shenanigans when they see us recently, why should we be fooled by their tricks?  We saw them be pirates, and then turning gray the moment before contact should not give them instant absolution and diplomatic immunity.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »

The player should be given the ability to serve up to the NPCs a big taste of their own medicine.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »

Possibly of interest: in the next release, scavengers - and possibly some other fleets, I don't recall just now - will have reduced reputation impact, i.e. attacking them won't make you instantly hostile with their faction, regardless of what it is.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »

@JP161:

This feature be as it may...
Poor players write poesy of our dismay.

NPCs are not fooled by our transponder shenanigans when they see us recently, why should we be fooled by their tricks?  We saw them be pirates, and then turning gray the moment before contact should not give them instant absolution and diplomatic immunity.
Agreed.  I mean, in the real world, we'd have data of them pulling the false-flag trick to beam to the Independents (not that I'd think they'd have a centralized repository of hashed transponder IDs, but nevermind) to show that we're righteous.  I feel like the whole false-flag thing shouldn't ever happen when we can observe the fleet in question, frankly.  

I don't mind so much when a Pirate fleet I've lost track of suddenly returns to the System's trade areas as a suspicious Independent, but when it happens right in front of me, it breaks the immersion a bit.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »

Thanks to game magic, Independents (and Pirates) are centralized enough that anything you do to one is done to all.  You sneeze on a double agent at the wrong time and your whole rep crashes down to -50 (until next release, according to Alex).

I wonder if you attack such a fleet while they are pirate (or they attack you), but they survive (with less ships), then quickly turn independent a few moments later.  Do I lose much reputation because the now independent fleet remembers me attacking it (while it was a pirate fleet) and cry "poor indie me, look what the big bad player did to me!" and my reputation plummets?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:31:55 PM by Megas »

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 06:59:24 AM »

I don't think the Indie faction as a faction makes a lot of sense. It would make more sense to have local indies for individual systems or small groups of systems, while separating the groups for which big interstellar reputation make sense (like Bounty Hunters and Mercenaries) out into their own faction/s.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »

PersonallY, I think smugglers merchants, and scavenger fleets should be a seperate subfaction, where getting plus or minus relationship with them will increase/decrease the subfaction a lot,  and only minorly impact the main indie faction
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 02:36:54 AM »

I think  for my part, than Scavenger do not inflict a loss of reputation.

Compared to the pirate who are very far on the galaxy, when they die, often, others pirates can know who have kill them, or suppose. If this is a bounty, they know who have kill them. Scavanger, there are independant, but do not work for them, so they need to do not inflict loss reputation. Except if there are on a independant system, maybe?
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Aieonae

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 03:57:17 AM »

There are always make them come to you... ;D