Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Quick suggestion re: buying multiples  (Read 4634 times)

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Quick suggestion re: buying multiples
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »

When you go to buy, say, 30 crewmembers out of a 500-crew stack, is there any chance we could change the button that lets you pick the number from shift-click to right-click?

It's much more intuitive, and you wouldn't have to explain it in the manual or force people to search the web to figure it out.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
Re: Quick suggestion re: buying multiples
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:02 PM »

How about a dropdown that allows you to input the number you want to buy?

kwekly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »

That's not necessarily more intuitive, just depends on what the user is used to. "Shift+click" to mean split or select multiple is common among most browsers and CAD programs.

That said there's nothing wrong with a right click either. I'm sure there plenty of planned UI developments in the works

Degraine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:38:38 AM »

I'm used to right-click meaning to pick up half (rounding up) of a stack of items, from Minecraft, although I think I'd prefer if it put down one item from a held stack (which Minecraft also does so I guess I come by that preference honestly).

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:02 AM »

That's not necessarily more intuitive, just depends on what the user is used to. "Shift+click" to mean split or select multiple is common among most browsers and CAD programs.

That said there's nothing wrong with a right click either. I'm sure there plenty of planned UI developments in the works

In a *game*, shift-click is hardly intuitive, especially since shift+click in, say, a file browser selects multiple different items, instead of multiples of the same... judging by the number of threads on this topic. I mean, how long did it take you to figure that one out? Or did you have to look online?

DanJSC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:47:37 AM »

Remember this game is only in Alpha, function comes in this part, right now it functions. Polish comes after the game's fully functioning.

LuckStealer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »

In a *game*, shift-click is hardly intuitive, especially since shift+click in, say, a file browser selects multiple different items, instead of multiples of the same... judging by the number of threads on this topic. I mean, how long did it take you to figure that one out? Or did you have to look online?

for a ""casual gamer"" the shift+ command if is not explained in a tutorial it will never be used by that person, i know it from experienc, i played heroes 3 for 6 month not knowing that i could split my army using shift+, now since i played a lot of games if something seems off, i will search in controls, then try the shift+/ ctrl+ commands, or use google

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

Huh.  I'd just like to go on record that shift-click was totally intuitive for me - though I did need to come here to learn about shift-click-hold-drag (very useful for breaking up large stacks of supplies or personnel...)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »

Remember this game is only in Alpha, function comes in this part, right now it functions. Polish comes after the game's fully functioning.

Oh, I know. It's just a small thing, and since the right-click button isn't currently used for anything in the purchasing screen, I figured it'd be a nice, utilitarian change.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »

Just a quick note - right click + drag is used throughout the UI for dragging the view around (which in this case means scrolling the list).

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »

You learn something new every day! If nothing else then, I'd definitely suggest a prominent tooltip.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »

Yep - adding a dialog that explains stuff the first time you're on the trade screen is on my todo list. Definitely wouldn't expect someone to just know.

Degraine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »

Does that preclude the use of right-click by itself for anything else, like setting waypoints in combat, as TB mentioned in his WTF video?

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 02:16:31 AM »

Yep - adding a dialog that explains stuff the first time you're on the trade screen is on my todo list. Definitely wouldn't expect someone to just know.

In regards to the inventory I have some requests if you wouldn't mind looking into these.

Inventory:
Make items stack up to 100,000 units so there isn't issues with clogging your inventory with a lot of different ranked crewmembers.  After a certain point I'd say make it say something like 10k for 10,000 or so with the specific amount shown when moused over.

Add the ability to buy items in specific amounts such as a prompt that asks you to fill in the number of items you wish to buy, rather than needing to make 200 clicks for 200 supplies.

Add the ability to 'max purchase' where it will give you either as many of a specific unit as are in stock, or until you can no longer afford them.

Fleet:
Add a 'Sort' button like is found in the inventory.  Possibly with multiple options like 'Sort by type' or 'Sort by expense' or what have you.

Bump up 'Destroyed'  'Scrapped'  'Repaired' ships to the top of the stack of the fleet when a battle ends.  When you have a lot of ships it's a bit of a pain scrolling down a lot.