Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Fighters and shield issue  (Read 3046 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fighters and shield issue
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:36:37 AM »

Yesterday I was trying out SCY ship (Keto class, carrier-4 wings) in simulator. I didn't play Starsector for a looong time, so basically I'm a newbie.

First issue:
     I wanted to send my fighters to attack but i couldn't do it. Looking around in CONTROLS tab only thing i could find is "Pull back fighters", but i didn't want to do that i wanted them to attack. So maybe that ORDERS: REGROUP will change if i have active target? Nope. Maybe if i hit active target? Nope. Maybe it doesn't change? Hitting U and letting auto-pilot did change it to ENGAGE. Sigh, so it can be changed  :-\ Ok, what if i hit Z and pull back fighters. Oookay that worked. :) What i expected to see under Controls tab is "Pull back fighters/engage", so i would know one key altering orders for fighters. I didn't play campaigning so don't know what tutorial teach us aka don't know if giving order to fighters is explained there.

Second issue:
     This SCY ship have one kinetic weapon with huge range (2000) and if you aiming target at it's maximum your ship wont be on screen (this is maybe because of my tiny 18" monitor with 1366x768 resolution). Oh, and, that weapon have "cast time", after clicking left mouse button you need to wait couple of seconds for it to actually fire. My ship is out of screen, Conquest is barraging me with rockets while i'm waiting for gun to fire and i have no idea if my shield is up. Some indicator somewhere, like, next to FLUX bar just word SHIELD when shield is on or in bottom left corner where we can see armor of our ship in middle of it we could have word SHIELD or little blue circle when shield is active. At other hand maybe this is just edge case scenario that manifest itself only in specific situation (extremely long rang in combination with tiny resolution).
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Fighters and shield issue
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:19:45 AM »

Maybe the flux bar should turn yellow when the shield is up? To tell that you aren't dissipating any hard-flux and only partially soft-flux? Then it could be red when overloaded or venting?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 01:51:29 AM »

First issue:
     I wanted to send my fighters to attack but i couldn't do it. Looking around in CONTROLS tab only thing i could find is "Pull back fighters", but i didn't want to do that i wanted them to attack. So maybe that ORDERS: REGROUP will change if i have active target? Nope. Maybe if i hit active target? Nope. Maybe it doesn't change? Hitting U and letting auto-pilot did change it to ENGAGE. Sigh, so it can be changed  :-\ Ok, what if i hit Z and pull back fighters. Oookay that worked. :) What i expected to see under Controls tab is "Pull back fighters/engage", so i would know one key altering orders for fighters. I didn't play campaigning so don't know what tutorial teach us aka don't know if giving order to fighters is explained there.

Spoiler alert: Currently working on a Carrier Command tutorial  ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »

(That control's description is already changed in-dev to "Toggle fighter engage/regroup"; someone's run into that one before :))

As far as the shield, yeah, I think it's more of an edge case - generally you know anyway, but if you forget the shield state and *really* want to check, you can always pause, pan to look, and pan back + unpause.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:16 AM »

Maybe the flux bar should turn yellow when the shield is up? To tell that you aren't dissipating any hard-flux and only partially soft-flux? Then it could be red when overloaded or venting?
That could work too but then again I can totally understand Alex decision not to introduce too many UI elements.

And I totally did not forget that there is Pause button. At all.  ::)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »

Maybe the whole UI could turn red when overloading, heh