Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NPC Distress calls  (Read 6253 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
NPC Distress calls
« on: March 06, 2018, 03:51:43 AM »

I haven't seen this being discussed before, but I'd like to make this put this out here before the next update rolls around.

The current NPC distress calls system is very underwhelming. There are two scenarios only with always the same outcomes. Either it's an independent fleet that needs exactly 10 fuel, even though they can be on the other side of the sector from the core worlds, or it is a pirate ambush. Both options provide little incentive for the player to check them out. Not because of their predictability (that's another problem I'll get to), but because their rewards are very minor. There is never a chance to make, say, big bucks by selling large quantities of supplies or fuel to other fleets. Or running into an opposing faction ambush and getting some commission money. Point is that by now I just pretty much always ignore all of them since they are pretty much a waste of time past a certain point of the game.

Moreover, as I mentioned, they are very predictable. While new scenarios would be very well appreciated (think Remnants), spicing up the current ones could also have great effects. Say, an independent fleet that requests the player a large sum of supplies and if they aren't able to provide, the fleet might attack them in an act of desperation, with the combat AI set to full assault.

Look, I don't want to berate on it, I understand that .8 was just the initial batch of the exploration part of SS, but I did want to drive attention to it. Small changes here could have a big impact on how new players perceive the game since it will make it feel much more alive.

Blothorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: NPC Distress calls
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:32:33 AM »

I think you are missing some scenarios--I have run into one other (in only half a dozen attempts), and the game files suggest there are other possibilities neither of us have encountered.
Spoiler
Found an officer in a cryopod and a somewhat valuable derelict in good condition.
[close]

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »

I ignore distress calls.  If your fleet is small enough to not get hurt by the detour, it is extremely vulnerable to an ambush if the call was fake.  If your fleet is big enough to defeat the pirates, then you burn too much if the caller is dead.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »

Think of it as a mini event experiment not meant to be a major thing, just like the idea of AI cores in the current release.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 05:18:50 AM »

That "experiment" is a failure and should be removed to avoid clogging intel/events with spam.

Cores are a big deal.  They are the only way to undo Vengeful relations with major factions or otherwise profit from them handsomely.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 08:00:16 AM »

I have come across a cryopod with an officer at least once though, don't remember if there was a derelict ship too or not as I tend to leave a trail of debris whenever hostiles fly my way. Most of the times it's either a fleet needing help or it's an ambush. The latter being the more common occurrence for me because I never seem to quite grasp which direction a distress signal was sent from exactly until I've patrolled enough and thus I tend to fly into redacteds or pirate ambushes quicker while being confused.

In short, I don't bother with distress signals as much either and instead hunt for warning beacons in hyperspace when I'm away from central star systems exploring/scouting.
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.