Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Coincident Debris Fields combine rather than overlapping  (Read 1570 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Coincident Debris Fields combine rather than overlapping
« on: March 16, 2018, 07:50:07 PM »

Sweet and simple, as all QoL suggestions should be.  ;)

In game I find a lot of instances where two or more debris fields overlap. This could be due to several battles in succession occurring in the same place (whether the player is involved or not); procedurally-generated fields overlapping with one created after salvaging a mining station or research station; or even when a player is unable to properly salvage a "ship graveyard" and simply blows several of the derelict ships comprising it apart to pick through the debris.

A brief aside:
Spoiler

In such cases, it isn't always clear which debris field you are picking through if you attempt to salvage one of them. Is it the most recent one? The biggest one? The one spatially nearest the center of the star system? The map clearly shows there are more than one debris field in the location, but I am concerned that players may be missing out on potential salvage in a debris field by another one "blocking" it.

... Say, Devs, I don't suppose you'd mind sharing how the game actually picks a debris field in this situation?  8)

[close]

My idea is that in such situations, where two or more debris fields coincide in the same location, the game should combine them together into one. I feel this would make "stacking" of debris fields far more understandable to the player, and perhaps also help performance by cleaning up memory losses from large numbers of debris fields around the same general location (say, in a star system inhabited by two warring factions). Fair enough?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:52:07 PM by AxleMC131 »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Coincident Debris Fields combine rather than overlapping
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:48:30 PM »

Yes please to this!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 01:55:24 PM »

+1000.  Good QoL improvement, probably pretty easy to code in, would improve efficiency in long games.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »

They already do combine in most cases.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 03:23:16 PM »

Also fighting in debris fields should have random broken up ships in it like fighting in asteroid fields has more rocks