Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Orbital Fleet Behavior  (Read 10742 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Fleet Behavior
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 06:18:03 AM »

does the player fleet factor into this? I imagine the AI wouldn't make us move our fleet, but would other fleets move out of our way?
Player fleet kinda is allowed to overlap, because it's transparent for selection purposes, so it doesn't really need not to overlap.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »

I don't know if this is weird but  I really appreciate the detail you went into on explaining the logic behind your algo. Cheers  ;D
I quite like these mini blog posts.  Keep it up!
To me small mechanical tidbits like this are actually more interesting than the sweeping teasers.
One of those times when the logic is really simple but the resulting behavior could be mistaken for intelligence.

Glad you're finding it interesting, thank you!

... Like cars going down the right side of the road without having to talk about it. ...

What magical fantasy land do you live in? :P

... fair point.

mav

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 11:38:07 AM »

Thank you for the blog post, found it quite interesting learning a bit about what's going on behind the scenes regarding such a seemingly small detail.

The small things do matter. :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 12:10:56 PM »

You could play a bit with this by having low stability influence orbiting behavior negatively. Then if a player spots fleets orbiting a planet in a messy way, shoving and jockeying, he'd immediately know something's up.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 03:42:31 PM »

Thank you for the blog post, found it quite interesting learning a bit about what's going on behind the scenes regarding such a seemingly small detail.

Cool!

You could play a bit with this by having low stability influence orbiting behavior negatively. Then if a player spots fleets orbiting a planet in a messy way, shoving and jockeying, he'd immediately know something's up.

Huh, that's a very neat idea! Not quite sure how to implement it, though - I guess could allow more overlap at lower stability? Hmm. Don't know if that'd really convey that properly; it wouldn't exactly be "more jostling". Tough to do something half-way here without it potentially looking like a bug.

(Speaking of things like that - just took out the name "Random" from the list of star names. It's a Chronicles of Amber reference, but it just looks wrong when you see it pop up, so, sadly, it had to go. Erm, point being that sometimes things that are right look wrong...)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 03:57:02 PM »

Danger could be conveyed via ships staying further away from one another or moving out of the way briefly.

Kanil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 04:29:18 PM »

I'm not sure stations are regularly crowded enough to justify orbits conveying information to the player. Not that it would be a negative to add, but it seems like something you'd never notice.

Like others, I enjoyed the mini blog.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »

Huh. Neat!

I appreciate your ability and sense in crafting these simple but elegant solutions to interesting problems like this.

I would definitely be interested any time you post these mini-blogs. They are fun.

“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2]