Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 345 days - you've read this post before  (Read 21147 times)

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 345 days - you've read this post before
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2018, 05:19:21 AM »

From another point of view, I fear the nex release will be a nightmare for current mod, with many more thing to update on systems and markets.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2018, 05:54:18 AM »

Nah, I don't think it will. Except for trying to sprite custom Station that is.

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »

This has had so much potential from day one. It still does...  If you actually kept this game moving forward and updated it more, as well as brought it to release it would probably more then out shine whatever job you are working now in income.  The sky is the limit for actively supported games theses days. 

I sincerely doubt that. Starsector, as good as it is, is a very niche game.

I dunno, everyone I show this game to is like wow I love it, where has this been hiding, (and that is in the current state and even before) I think once this hits steam it will quickly become a top seller, it will be featured on the store page for quite a while, flinging Alex into video game stardom. 

I'm in sales and marketing, one thing I would advise when you get close to release is to send some 1.0 versions to some steam curators.  they will generate hype pushing sales higher, keeping you on steams featured store page longer.

I wish you the most success, which I hope you will take to create many more gems in the future (hopefully being able to afford a larger dev team to push them out faster ;) )

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »

I think once this hits steam it will quickly become a top seller, it will be featured on the store page for quite a while, flinging Alex into video game stardom.

Yea man, as much as I love Starsector as the next guy on these forums, it won't be even close to that. I've had exactly the opposite experience and everyone I've showed this to was just not really interested. Personal experiences aside, objectively, Starsector is not an easy game, it's complex (even in this version, imagine what it'll be in 1.0) and unforgiving which drives some people away. Tutorials can help but it doesn't change the fact that you need to know so much about it to really enjoy it. Since most of us here got the game some time ago, we were introcued to new mechanics one patch at a time, imagine how overwhelmed you'd be if you saw this for the first time and tried to give it a go.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying complexity is a bad thing, it's just most people want games that are easy to get into and don't require you to play or read about it for who knows how many hours before you understand what exactly is going on. Of course there'll be new people who will absolutely adore this, but that is a minority since space-combat-4x-rpg isn't the most popular thing.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2018, 01:26:34 AM »

In the coming months, I bet less and less indie games will get on Steam anyway. Why bother when you share your release day with 50-100 other games and DLC and you only get minutes on the front page. At least for a first release platform it seems less and less interesting to get on Steam, and only when the game has built an audience releasing it there might yield more than a handful of sales.

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2018, 12:24:53 AM »

Understanding the frustration a lot of people are feeling about the long gap between releases, I'd recommend going to Alex's profile, and looking at his most recent posts. The amount of work he does here on the forums is staggering. You often get a good look into how the long periods of playtesting help improve the game through various bug reports and fixes, and design changes coming from community suggestions. I know it always leaves me impressed and feeling a lot better about the wait, because you can see the changes happening incrementally. It also gives me a great deal of respect for a lot of my peers in this community, when they give Alex really good bug reports that make a better game for me, and the modders who take the game in different directions, adding features and designing ships in ways Alex doesn't have the time or inclination to.
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2018, 08:10:57 AM »

The one time when Starsector is brutally difficult, is the early-to-mid game transition.  This is when player has almost everything in a single medium-to-large sized fleet, mostly low-quality, has not yet accumulated enough in storage (because player needs everything in the fleet) and has invested hours in the game.  This is the point when losses are crippling and player has not yet built up enough of a cash and material cushion to replace losses.  Combat at this point is close to a series of Daily Double double-or-nothing bets.  If the player can survive them all with almost no casualties (and profits somehow), then he will probably have it made.  But if he loses just one of them, it is nearly a total wipe and game over moment.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2018, 10:50:48 PM »

I've been through many frustrations and expectations with waiting for updates for other games in the past and at one point eventually I had enough of it to the point I don't have much expectations nor the will to wait much so instead I just play a game as it is, provided it is not a multiplayer and has a lot of cheats there. If I can mod it too, I mod it just enough to make it enjoyable and fun for myself.

Real life has way too many limitations and obstacles and my fuse is short and it is one of the primary reasons why I in video games never care to bother grinding and leveling up my characters because I see it as a waste of my time and my life and my brain cells, so I just skip that hassle part to enjoy my need for overkill and the satisfying feeling of being a living god-like entity. Even in shooters I don't care about the progression from low-end gear to high-end gear as I have a strong need to hammer my foes with end-game weaponry and end-game gear usually anyway and it brings me the most joyous and unique experience when being death incarnate one-man/alien army able to tear through opposition as if it was a mere paper.

Just the other day in SS I tested over and over various overkill configs of an overpowered version of a Starlifter's particle-beam that I minaturized and installed on my Dramlord heavy frigate/freighter/tanker/hoarder polymath doomsday super-ship. I just love dominating the battlefield into a flying scrap junkyard in SS, the more insufferable a faction is like luddic-everythings and the Templars the more satisfying it is for me to rip and tear them apart brutally without mercy worse than than the forces of Doom.

This is merely just an insight of how unusually I play games in general as it is the only relaxing and harmless way for me to vent my frustrations and dark thoughts away and be happier and less toxic. And yes, I've used a lot of the word "and" in this post of mine and I don't care to learn where a comma or whatever is supposed to be where exactly, eh.. just one of those days.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:30:24 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »

so, to not make anotther OMG WTF BBQ where is da release *foam at mouth* thread. /sarcasm

i figured i would use this one.

even without a road map, or any long update blog about what has been done and what still needs to be done etc. I do wonder *About* how close the next release is. now im NOT looking for some date here. or again a list of what still needs to be done. but maybe a general feeling of confidence about how far out we MAY be. like

soon tm
not that close
ehh. maybe half way.
bit over half way through.
pretty close

i only ask because lets be honest it HAS been a while since the last update. and i KNOW development has been going on that whole time. Alex is pretty good at showing what he has been working on with blog posts and if you follow his posts here as well you can get an idea of some of the things that have changed and been fixed or added etc. so by no means am i saying work faster. or anything like that. i guess im just looking for a small update, even if its just like 1 sentence with a very rough idea of how things are going.

if its possible.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »

Did you look at his Twitter?  :D   I mean, there is nothing that could answer your question but still, you get little info here and there about stuff he is working on.
https://twitter.com/amosolov
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »

soon tm
not that close
ehh. maybe half way.
bit over half way through.
pretty close

i only ask because lets be honest it HAS been a while since the last update. and i KNOW development has been going on that whole time. Alex is pretty good at showing what he has been working on with blog posts and if you follow his posts here as well you can get an idea of some of the things that have changed and been fixed or added etc. so by no means am i saying work faster. or anything like that. i guess im just looking for a small update, even if its just like 1 sentence with a very rough idea of how things are going.

if its possible.

Thanks for your understanding! I would say it's somewhere between "over half way" and "pretty close" :)

Not quite at the "can start to work on content" phase, but it feels like that's getting close. Looking forward to writing the next blog post, super excited about what's going to be in it - which, to be fair, it's a UI overhaul for a specific area of the game, but it has implications and is I think a qualitative game-changer. Ahem. Back to work on it!

Giblodyte

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »

What I'm really interested in is how do you remain so civil and forthright when people are whining about and slagging off your baby. Do you have some kind of zen mantra you repeat or do you have a really good therapist or something? Seriously impressive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]