Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 345 days - you've read this post before  (Read 21149 times)

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
345 days - you've read this post before
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:39:04 PM »

come on man, i know we arn't suppose to talk about it...

but bro... 345 days of reading/checking the blog page about good ideas and plans....

why sit on something like this for so long?  By the time you finish the game at this rate, we will have moved on from 2D screens completely.

This has had so much potential from day one. It still does...  If you actually kept this game moving forward and updated it more, as well as brought it to release it would probably more then out shine whatever job you are working now in income.  The sky is the limit for actively supported games theses days. 

If i was in your shoes I would have doubled down on this project so hard, given all the followers and community.  Defiantly would have quit my job.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 345 days - you've read this post before
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »

And so we begin...

Edit: Ok I just can't help it but ask you, are you being serious? Like the last couple of days/weeks Alex has shown sooo much what he has done and what exactly are we getting in the next version. I'm sure you already know it by now but he's the only one working on this game full-time, one freaking guy for the whole game. And he tries so hard to test everything so we have a cleaner release without game breaking bugs. I'm not fanboying here, it's just Alex has never failed to deliver since I started following this game. Just be patient dude, rushing a developer is one of the worst thing you can do.

ded gaem hurr durr durr
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:04:36 PM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »

dont get me wrong, this is the single game i've learned to wait for updates....

but broooooooo

reading about all the things...... a year..... i have more patients then most... but brah.... almost a year....   

come on... I love that the patches are almost always playable without problems... but come on.

Even the driest deserts get more rain then this!

XJD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »

Pretty sure Alex quit his job in 2011 to work on this full time.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:48:11 PM »

But it's just one person programing all that stuff... And you got free save slots (looking at METAL GEAR SURVIVE) with zero, EAlike, loot boxes. What i want to say: he is making it in his own pace, would most of us like it's done faster, most probably yes, but it's done as fast as it could be.

edit: and it's really close to be finished. When all that stuff get implemented my guess is that next version is 0.9 and after that is just one more 'till 1.0 (just my wild speculation here)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:51:11 PM by arcibalde »
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »

The last update was mid June, so only about 250 days.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »

dont get me wrong, this is the single game i've learned to wait for updates....

but broooooooo

reading about all the things...... a year..... i have more patients then most... but brah.... almost a year....   

come on... I love that the patches are almost always playable without problems... but come on.

Even the driest deserts get more rain then this!

Did... did you not look at the progress and the duration of it when you bought in?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 03:20:22 PM »

This is pretty normal.  Around 2 updates a year, around a month between blog posts on average (both of which are always exciting), and Twitter posts from Alex and David sprinkled in between that we can rip apart for information.  I've been around for 5 years.

Also, in case you didn't known OP, this is Alex's main job.  He has no other job AFAIK.

If you don't like it, get used to it or find something else to do in between updates and blog posts.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:23:47 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 04:16:03 PM »

Hey! Dodgy arithmetic aside, just a quick reply here. I *am* working on Starsector full-time, and as much as you might want the next release to be finished, I want the same thing ten times more. I just don't want to put out something half-baked without the necessary set of features coming together to make it fun to play.

Also: I wouldn't equate infrequent updates with a lack of progress - it's exactly the opposite; more frequent releases would slow the overall pace of development down - due to the large amount of extra effort associated with making a release - even though it would probably *feel* like it was moving more quickly.

So, um - I appreciate that you care enough about the game to find the pacing of the releases to be frustrating, and offer my apologies for that, but ultimately stand by it :)

Arkiuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »

While I would wholeheartedly and enthusiastically support a steady stream of releases and updates for this incredible game, I would rather have quality over quantity.

I'd rather wait a year and get one big patch over 300 small patches and bits and pieces of the game.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 12:31:37 AM »

I have only one question for Alex: how do you manage not to get burned out with Starsector after all these years of development?

To clarify, I'm not asking to stop development, and I'm absolutely inspired by such dedication, but it's hard to imagine talented developer like this wouldn't want to tap into different types of projects over the course of years. I've seen bigger, way more ambitious projects falling into abandonment because of this. If I didn't know better, I would assume same for SS, just glad it's still getting actively worked on.

Rigel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 01:23:08 AM »

Also: I wouldn't equate infrequent updates with a lack of progress - it's exactly the opposite; more frequent releases would slow the overall pace of development down - due to the large amount of extra effort associated with making a release - even though it would probably *feel* like it was moving more quickly.

and that's not all, it would also make mods incompatible and will require modders to update their mod everytime a new version happens  :P

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 03:41:29 AM »

Not to mention that releases cost a lot of money in bandwidth fees, so more frequent updates could very much lead to scope cuts, publisher involvement, or a straight up end of the development. And none of those sounds appealing are they?

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 04:07:38 AM »

Something I would like to add to the topic is that an important thing for me is the consistency of updates and progress.

I feel this gets overlooked frequently but was ultimately the reason I chose to buy this game in an unfinished state. It doesen't matter that the updates take a long time and development is arguably slow. As long as the game is consistently developed I'm happy. With the last few devblogs  we can see so many systems coming together... waiting pays off !

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »

Thank you all for your support and general understanding :)

I have only one question for Alex: how do you manage not to get burned out with Starsector after all these years of development?

To clarify, I'm not asking to stop development, and I'm absolutely inspired by such dedication, but it's hard to imagine talented developer like this wouldn't want to tap into different types of projects over the course of years. I've seen bigger, way more ambitious projects falling into abandonment because of this. If I didn't know better, I would assume same for SS, just glad it's still getting actively worked on.

I don't know! As cliche as that sounds, it's something I'm super passionate about - it's just *so cool* that this is what I get to work on, right? (Don't answer that.) Beyond that, while I'm still working on the same game, it has a lot of different aspects to it, and I feel like I've been learning things throughout, so that helps to keep it fresh. It also helps to be working with David; his art and writing (and design collaboration) are a constant source of motivation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4