Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Right click to fight! (plus one more suggestion)  (Read 1529 times)

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
Right click to fight! (plus one more suggestion)
« on: February 15, 2018, 05:29:35 AM »

Simple suggestion, was watching nemo's DME playthrough and he got annoyed right click is eliminate and not engage (since he uses engage more). I agree with that, however I figure there will be people who use this way and like it a lot so can we have a toggle in the options for it?

Number 2 is, can we have another toggle in options to start our games with help popups auto turned off? I sometimes create a new character and forget to turn them off, their lovely it's just I don't want to be told how to play the game again lol.

Anyways that is it

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Right click to fight! (plus one more suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 05:58:54 AM »

Re suggestion 2; help popups should probably be a global setting rather than per-character.

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 06:17:52 AM »

That would be nice yeah, good idea >.<

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »

I use right-click precisely for Eliminate.  When I right-click on a ship on the map, it is a priority target I want dead now!

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »

Hence the option I suggested, figured there were crazy people who prefer it the way it is lol :P

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »

Agreeing with Megas and Sooner here. Right-click I always use as a specific "kill this" order on a target ship, so having it default to Eliminate is perfectly acceptable. In a more tactical engagement where I would more likely use a standard Engage order, I'm probably taking my time and planning carefully, so having to click twice doesn't bother me.

Having said that. I have seen Nemo screwing up a few times due to this configuration, and I can sympathise with him - especially since, as a YouTuber myself, I know how hard it is to focus on commentary and the gameplay at the same time - so I would not be against this on principle. However, I would prefer it be a config option if anything.

Code
"shipOrderRightClickDefaultsTo":ELIMINATE     # ENGAGE or ELIMINATE

That wouldn't be too difficult, would it?  ;)

As for the Help Popups, I would not mind that being a universal game setting - though if that is done, I strongly recommend it remains in the game creation options defaulted to "Enabled" as it is now, because new players definitely need it and won't know to look for it in the settings.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:12:18 PM by AxleMC131 »

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 06:23:04 AM »

Indeed, if possible every change should be a choice so that way everyone can enjoy what they love :) it’s just the smartest way to do things