Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (Thumper Ed., 0.3.7b)  (Read 645015 times)

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (New Version Ed., 0.3.5i)
« Reply #585 on: May 31, 2023, 08:20:06 PM »

Hi, first time trying this mod and having a lot of fun with it!

I am a little confused by the Richardson Cannon. The description calls it "surprisingly flux efficient," but it uses 3200 (!) flux per second. It also supposedly does 6400 dps. Are these typos or what?

Thanks!
I think something's really wrong with that thing's efficiency. 0.5 flux per damage on a frag weapon (which has 25% damage against anything except exposed hull, which would be 2 flux per effective damage to shields and probably even worse against armor due to hit strength mechanics) is clearly not "surprisingly flux efficient", that would instead be "so inefficient it'll build up flux for you faster than it does to the enemy's shields".
And good luck actually applying that 6400 DPS with the terrible accuracy and reliance on the enemy not having much remaining armor coverage, because if it's armor is stripped on an entire side, it's probably going to die to other weapons anyways.
I'm not really sure if it actually serves any niche that other large ballistic weapons have, or at least one that's worth the extremely high sustained flux per second. If you're fielding ships with large weapons, then you probably have the DPS to chew through hull anyways, so you won't need an overspecialized weapon for that purpose. And if you want saturated PD, just use a devastator cannon, paladin PD, or any other modded large PD weapon.

Maybe all this is the reason why the weapon's blueprint was left buried in the middle of goddamn nowhere, only being recovered and used by a faction of scavengers known for using literal trash as part of their fleets. I would probably not even notice if the Richardson Cannon gets removed during the next de-bloating spree, and that trash getting removed from the HMI blueprints could probably be a useful buff for the faction's fleets so they won't run out of flux as quickly, as I've been hearing discussion on other sites about how HMI's ships tend to be on the underpowered side (at least regarding junkers/modified mining hulls) and I don't think terrible weapons help with that. (I'd also prefer being able to loot weapons that are actually useful, by the way)

This rant is probably a bit long, so i'll just throw out a TL;DR question: Why is there a terribly flux inefficient large slot fragmentation weapon without the accuracy, range, or hit strength to accomplish anything that other weapons can't do better?
oh and sorry if this post feels a bit harsh, I just really wanted to vent (hah) about how inefficient the Richardson Cannon is. If you want to keep it, find some way to buff it or just rework it.

You know you're not supposed to use frag damage weaponry against shields (and armor, too), right? The frag damage information is very specific in it being the worst of the four damage types to use against both. Thus, you shouldn't be using it when shields are up as you mentioned. It's meant to be a finisher sort of damage, as frag weapons tend to have an impressive DPS that is only fully used when armor is stripped and shields aren't blocking. In this case, the Richardson has absolute batshit RoF and damage which will smash any damaged ships (and batter incoming missiles/low armor fighters) leading to it's strange assault-and-PD role.

Screech9791

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 02, 2023, 06:24:02 PM »

-snip-

You know you're not supposed to use frag damage weaponry against shields (and armor, too), right? The frag damage information is very specific in it being the worst of the four damage types to use against both. Thus, you shouldn't be using it when shields are up as you mentioned. It's meant to be a finisher sort of damage, as frag weapons tend to have an impressive DPS that is only fully used when armor is stripped and shields aren't blocking. In this case, the Richardson has absolute batshit RoF and damage which will smash any damaged ships (and batter incoming missiles/low armor fighters) leading to it's strange assault-and-PD role.
I already knew that frag weapons aren't supposed to be used against anything except exposed hull lol
I just don't understand why it'd be worth it to use a large ballistic slot for a finisher role, and if you have a ship that can spare a large slot for a niche task (for large weapons), you can probably just use torpedoes instead, or just the regular weapons you already have on your ship.

I found a couple of fairly insignificant errors.  The Prester John Inner Jump Point appears to be an Ice Giant in hyperspace, I'm fairly sure it's supposed to be a regular jump point. -snip-

Also, the Hazard system has an overlapping jump point and gravity well, -snip-
Probably not a bug, jump points usually display a nearby celestial body if one is close enough when viewed in hyperspace. The overlapping jump point and gravity well probably is.

Anyways, what's with the obsession with having every default variant weapon group set to alternating, including beam weapons which are incompatible with alternating fire mode? Why does every slot on the Category's default variants share a weapon group, despite the turrets having absolutely no overlapping arcs with the other side's turrets and the gun hardpoints? What's with all the shieldless ships having excess capacitors and vents despite them doing nothing? There's so many questions about default variant oddities and so little answers.

Oh, and uh, is it normal for this mod to generate independent fleets consisting almost entirely of those dedicated mining drone converted ships?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 06:33:31 PM by Screech9791 »

Candlebury

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 03, 2023, 11:06:18 AM »

Spoilery bug report:

Spoiler
It seems like all the salvage fights in the manchester system have been replaced by taskforce safeguard instead of the normal DomRes drones.
[close]

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 03, 2023, 02:07:45 PM »

Spoilery bug report:

Spoiler
It seems like all the salvage fights in the manchester system have been replaced by taskforce safeguard instead of the normal DomRes drones.
[close]

Use the most recent version of HMI.

Candlebury

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 03, 2023, 02:38:00 PM »

That happened on 0.3.5i

Drone_Fragger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 03, 2023, 02:41:57 PM »

Update your starsector, it's a bug that was fixed in RC10

Gift-of-Life

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 06, 2023, 04:55:42 PM »

Bug report:

Vertice Rifle states its primary role is Anti Shield. Though its Damage type is High explosive doing 200% vs armor, and 50% vs shields.

Is this intended?

vicegrip

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 11, 2023, 03:53:33 PM »

The Mess Ecstacy description has a small mistake that's preventing the text from showing up. In descriptions.csv the id is listed as "mess ecstacy" rather than "mess_ecstacy", although "ecstacy" is also a pretty rare variation of the much more common "ecstasy" so I'm not sure if that's a typo as well. Also the Mess Colossus is missing a description.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 15, 2023, 07:04:32 PM »

thanks a megaton for keeping this mod updated and in my game!

vicegrip

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 17, 2023, 01:13:04 PM »

Hey King Alfonzo, this is a great mod. But I'm curious if you know about the starfarer.res folder. When you make changes to a build in the dev mode variant editor, a copy of that gets saved to that folder, located on the same drive as the Starsector install. These can then be copied over to the mod's variant folder on a reload.

I bring this up because I've noticed a lot of the existing variants either don't fully use up or exceed a ship's OP, which makes me wonder if you've been making all the builds manually, rather than with the varaint editor.

Drone_Fragger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 26, 2023, 03:35:00 PM »

Hmmm. All Mercenary fleets appear to be literally nothing but dromedaries, donkeys and crooks, even ~200k bounty ones.

I'm guessing this is unintended?

Talinoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 29, 2023, 02:50:33 AM »

One of the many faction mods I added to the game, but this one seems to be having wild (good) effects on my playthrough.

Independent scavenger fleets are way more terrifying with some of the new ships you've got mixed in. That Monjeau "destroyer" heavy mech is horrifying. It easily chases down and kills my frigates like it's got permanent safety overrides, and it's so tanky it's hard to pick off. I think I've only ever killed one in the pursuit phase (auto-calc) of a won battle, and I've run up against it like four times now. I know the obvious answer is "beams lmao" but UAF doesn't use beams :P

I've only been to a couple of these new sectors but I'm enjoying them a lot. Obsidian is lots of fun - 2 Pirate and 1 Luddic market that are almost always deficient in Supplies/Fuel/Food etc alongside swarms and swarms of low level enemies to gank for commission payouts and loot. Stick an outpost in there and you have a money printer. Just next door is Mercy, where I can swoop in to pick up Red Water and typically make a decent profit selling it elsewhere.

JuliannaClarke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 01, 2023, 10:49:24 PM »

Game crashed upon trying to start it. There seems to be a skin or variant of a dominator that's missing from HMI:

17134 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [dominator_hmi_p_std] not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [dominator_hmi_p_std] not found!
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.O0Oo$Oo.getFPCost(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.O0Oo.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.oo0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.ÓO0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ResourceLoaderState.init(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

JuliannaClarke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 04, 2023, 02:41:44 PM »

Ah, nvm, there wasn't an error with the mod. I just installed it improperly.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 12, 2023, 11:38:28 AM »

Not sure if this mod or some other mod but I have in the HMI home system HMI fleets spawning who are called Company Armada who are fighting against HMI Patrols and Prospectors. Anyway I am picking up a lot of Junk ships thanks to them, have 5 so far and I have only just started the game. I think it might be your mod as it is the same colour scheme as yours, that dark orange colour. I was wondering what was going on with HMI fleets fighting invisible ships when it turned out there were two factions fighting each that looked the same as each other.

EDIT: It might have been me. I set at Nex setup, random faction relations. I never imagined that HMI might have factions within factions that got triggered into warring with themselves, bazaar but cool. In fighting rebellion in action.

I think there is a bug with the Junk ship Miner setup load out (default Nex start as a super freighter Junk Mining ship). The weapon links don't make sense to me. Not sure how it is setup with modding it but I think you might have messed up what aligns with what. I can see some 360 degree weapons linked to some random side PD weapon and odd things like that but just above it is another 360 degree weapon that I think it was supposed to be linked with.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 12:22:01 PM by Zalpha »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48