Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (Thumper Ed., 0.3.7b)  (Read 632227 times)

Salamander989

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (Compatibility Ed., 0.3.4k)
« Reply #495 on: March 01, 2022, 01:34:15 AM »

After role-playing as a pure Brighton loyalist for a couple of weeks, here are some of my thoughts:

1. As stated, the Brighton is a desperate polity: "a weakling polity". It has been a frustrating experience moving from mid-game to late-game stage, and it has been a mixture of a love-hate relationship. I love it because they grow so slow; I'm constantly buying more crews and supplies because my ship gets blown up a lot (maybe I'm just a terrible captain). Yet, there is satisfaction in seeing progression while constantly resisting the temptation to pick up stronger and faster ships from other factions. I hate it because the AI is terrible with using missile. So during the late game - fighting the Remnants in large groups, it has been a rough experience. Not to mention they outspeed and outmaneuver most of my ships. Making progression against the Remnant base has come to a halt.

Perhaps include a larger cargo + civilian ship into the list? At one point, I was running 3 Colossus (BRV) to keep up the supplies cargo space, and it takes up the 30 ships limit. The Nubula (BRV) is fine for the early game, but I feel like we need a bigger crew ship for the mid to late game. After one or two big fights, I'm constantly under-crew. Going back to base re-crew has been a very tedious experience. Is Junk meant to fill in that role? This would lead to my next thought.

2. I don't understand the lore well enough. HMI constantly declares war on the Brighton. Is it just bad lucks? Or are we meant to compete against each other? Cause I noticed they are on the far west region and I'm on the east side, and they are willing to travel that far to fight over my territories. I tried politicking with them, and there are all these random events that make them flip 180 on us.

3. I'm running the skill: Derelict Operations. It's pretty cool to field a Radiant (BRV) for 35 deployment points. But both of HMI's Junker and Rapid Repair System hull-mods... oh the temptation. If I could get some clarification between the relationship of HMI and Brighton, I feel like it would brighten our role-play future.

4. I saw you included 4 new Remnant ships, but any chance will we see the BRV version of them?

5. Since the Brighton is packed with missile slots, will we see a BRV faction missile? Perhaps include built-in extra missile hullmod for some of the BRV ships?

By the way, you have done an outstanding job with the ship models and details. These factions really feel like they are part of the original game.

Screech9791

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 02, 2022, 10:25:51 PM »

Brighton definitely needs better access to military grade weapons, and especially missiles. Only having hammers, single mount Atropos torpedoes, and dual mount harpoons/sabots is not a good thing for a missile focused faction. Maybe you could give their markets and fleets more blueprints, especially for military grade weapons. About the only genuinely useful weapons I can get from their legal markets are mining blasters, railguns, and possibly dual mount hammers.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 19, 2022, 02:30:57 PM »

After role-playing as a pure Brighton loyalist for a couple of weeks, here are some of my thoughts:

1. As stated, the Brighton is a desperate polity: "a weakling polity". It has been a frustrating experience moving from mid-game to late-game stage, and it has been a mixture of a love-hate relationship. I love it because they grow so slow; I'm constantly buying more crews and supplies because my ship gets blown up a lot (maybe I'm just a terrible captain). Yet, there is satisfaction in seeing progression while constantly resisting the temptation to pick up stronger and faster ships from other factions. I hate it because the AI is terrible with using missile. So during the late game - fighting the Remnants in large groups, it has been a rough experience. Not to mention they outspeed and outmaneuver most of my ships. Making progression against the Remnant base has come to a halt.

Perhaps include a larger cargo + civilian ship into the list? At one point, I was running 3 Colossus (BRV) to keep up the supplies cargo space, and it takes up the 30 ships limit. The Nubula (BRV) is fine for the early game, but I feel like we need a bigger crew ship for the mid to late game. After one or two big fights, I'm constantly under-crew. Going back to base re-crew has been a very tedious experience. Is Junk meant to fill in that role? This would lead to my next thought.

2. I don't understand the lore well enough. HMI constantly declares war on the Brighton. Is it just bad lucks? Or are we meant to compete against each other? Cause I noticed they are on the far west region and I'm on the east side, and they are willing to travel that far to fight over my territories. I tried politicking with them, and there are all these random events that make them flip 180 on us.

3. I'm running the skill: Derelict Operations. It's pretty cool to field a Radiant (BRV) for 35 deployment points. But both of HMI's Junker and Rapid Repair System hull-mods... oh the temptation. If I could get some clarification between the relationship of HMI and Brighton, I feel like it would brighten our role-play future.

4. I saw you included 4 new Remnant ships, but any chance will we see the BRV version of them?

5. Since the Brighton is packed with missile slots, will we see a BRV faction missile? Perhaps include built-in extra missile hullmod for some of the BRV ships?

By the way, you have done an outstanding job with the ship models and details. These factions really feel like they are part of the original game.

The old Brighton before King nerf it can solo Legio Infernalis from Tahlan Shipworks or the Knights Templar, it's so funny watching them snow-balling their way to conquer entire sector in Nexerelin in just about 60 year in-game time.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 21, 2022, 04:10:44 PM »

1. The Junk is a super-logistics ship. Terrible burn speed and fuel use for good stats otherwise for fuel, cargo, and crew holding.

2. HMI isn't really related at all to Brighton, though Brighton IS related to a special system added by HMI in the outer areas of the sector.

PeopleThief

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 02, 2022, 07:36:09 PM »

When I try to trade with HMI, they won't trade with me because my transponder is on, but then their patroller takes notice so I still can't trade, and they tell me to turn the transponder on, and then after I comply, I try to turn off the transponder off to trade, but they see me again but they don't attack, they just continually chase me and keep opening comms without attacking. Anyine know any fixes for this?

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 02, 2022, 08:03:01 PM »

Uh, get better relations with HMI. They aren't an outright pirate faction and will try to enforce legal trading around their planets and outposts.

PeopleThief

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 03, 2022, 01:56:54 PM »

They won't trade with me unless my transponder is off, but they want me turn it on

Coil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 03, 2022, 09:58:04 PM »

When I try to trade with HMI, they won't trade with me because my transponder is on, but then their patroller takes notice so I still can't trade, and they tell me to turn the transponder on, and then after I comply, I try to turn off the transponder off to trade, but they see me again but they don't attack, they just continually chase me and keep opening comms without attacking. Anyine know any fixes for this?

This is a vanilla problem. Factions wont trade with you in your relations are too low. They way around this is to trade with transponder off, but then patrols will stop you if they see you. There's no fix for this besides going somewhere else to trade or getting better relations. If you're using nex, you can trade in high value prisoners with the faction to improve your relations. Just go to a planet you want to raise relation with go to special options and then prisoner actions and repatriate prisoner. +8 relation for each one

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 03, 2022, 10:10:10 PM »

And like, when Coil says it's a "problem", it's an intended mechanic. Between -25 and -49, any faction port that is not a free port will refuse to let you dock. As HMI doesn't run any free ports, you won't be able to do so. You likely picked a start that has very low HMI relations.

(Fun fact: patrols launched from free ports also don't care about your transponder status and will let you sail by with it off, even if you're *hostile* to that faction! "Aggressive" factions like pirates and pathers are the exception.)

nukularpower

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 04, 2022, 05:45:41 PM »

Hey, love the mod, but there is a problem, I think.   The vanilla skill that clears dmods in the industry line is stupidly OP.  It doesn't take long for it to strip all dmods, which not only goes against the other capstone that reduces DP based on dmods, but also messes with the Junker trait here.

I read somewhere that skill may get nerfed, and I hope that happens.  In the meantime, as a suggestion, would it be possible to get a blank hullmod that stops it from removing dmods on the ship it's applied to? 

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2022, 06:00:13 PM »

I mean, that skill's been there for more than a year now, it's not likely to get removed any time soon.

The Junker Lifeā„¢ is just something you have to embrace and your skill selection needs to reflect it (it's very much a Derelict Contingent kind of style). Not every skill will work with every optimal play-style for a given line of ships.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 04, 2022, 09:08:03 PM »

really enjoying the extra special content that this mod adds to the sector!  some really good sci-fi meta going on

nukularpower

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 04, 2022, 10:37:04 PM »

Fair enough if you gotta commit.  Just sucks cuz that skill is too good to not take for the other ships I use (not into commitments, just ask my ex!)  Which means no sideline junkers.

But oh well.  Such is life

war3scv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 19, 2022, 07:23:54 AM »

Taxima of fang has 4 industries at game start which exceeds the industries limit,causing huge shortage some time. is this intended?

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 22, 2022, 02:31:47 PM »

Hey, do the phaseless ships have some sort of tag that makes them appear only super rarely in fleets? I got a BP for the Pardon from the Prism Freeport and prioritized it in the hopes of having it in my faction's fleets, but it never actually appears in the 'typical heavy patrol' box. Even if it is the only prioritized cruiser it still acts as if I had no cruisers prioritized at all, and just picks random ones. I tried this with different doctrine settings.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47