Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (Thumper Ed., 0.3.7b)  (Read 632404 times)

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (Beta, 1.5)
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 11:12:47 PM »

Quick reupload - fixed the Scale so it's actually useful, and fixed the mod_info file.

Give me a yell if something is horrifically wrong.

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 03:30:14 PM »

In mod_info.json, version number is defined incorrectly as 0.5.1 instead of 0.1.5.

The masterVersionFile being linked to in hmi.version (https://bitbucket.org/King_Alfonzo/i-will-make-sindria-great-again/downloads/hmi.version) defines mod version as 0.5.1 while the .version file bundled in the download defines it as 0.1.5, which causes Version Checker to announce there is an update available.

I forgot to report this one in the earlier versions, but HMI.json in data\config\exerelinFactionConfig has a typo on line 32:
Code
			"shadow_industry": -0.4. #You're not even out here! Why are you bitching about us!?
The . instead of the comma malforms the file and stops some stuff being defined (there are no valid fleet choices when trying to start as HMI currently, even though startShips are defined in the faction file, because of this typo).
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders
Old Hyperion - for your dose of nostalgia
Adjustable Skill Thresholds - set fleet DP and fighter bay thresholds

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »

Many thanks Storm!

Quickfix to fix these niggling issues. New update

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 03:28:40 PM »

Huge wall o text but most of this is going to be about description/nitpicky stuff as well as things that are almost certainly already on your todo list or will be inevitably noticed by you and fixed, but:

In the Mercy system, is the Abandoned Research Station supposed to way out off the edge of the map?

Tempest-S needs a ship system.

Fighter names are messed up (e.g. "Scale Support Fighter class Standard"). In ship_data.csv you should specify the name of the fighter wing in the name field, and the wing type as displayName in the .variant file. The convention for fighter wing naming is "[name from ship_data.csv] Class [displayName from relevant .variant]" when you target or mouseover them, and "[name from ship_data.csv] [displayName from .variant]" when you view in refit. You want something like "Scale" as the name in ship_data and "Support Fighter" in the displayName in the variant file.

The most important info in a ship description should be in the first paragraph because that's the tooltip, the rest all requires clickthrough to read the whole codex. For modifications of vanilla ships, that most important thing for me to know is how they differ from the vanilla ships. For example, the Shepherd Heavy/Light currently have the same tooltip description which gives absolutely no info about how they are different from a standard Shepherd and each other. You can fix this by just swapping those paragraphs around and rewriting them a little so the sentences still flow logically. This is done the clearer way round for the Hammerhead (TT), but the Lasher (Miner), Hammerhead (C), Cerberus (Miner) description uses a default-sounding first paragraph tooltip description and you have to click through to find out the important bits.

Heavy Borer Drones have a description for the fighters (which I can't find in the codex - it seems like fighters without a defined wing that are used by ship systems don't get a codex description?) but not the ship system.

Stuff I noticed that are missing descriptions:

Ship Systems:
Heavy Borer Drones
Rapid Repair
Phase Skimmer (Tempest-S Terminator Drone)

Weapons:
Desolator Cannon

Ships:
Scale
Mule Light
Mule Heavy
Lumen Scav X
Junk (has one, but assigned to "Junker" and not "Junk" in description.csv)
Scintilla
Tempest-S
Terminator drone for Tempest-S

Even something as short as the image descriptions for the ships in the OP would be pretty good in game as placeholder text until you can write a longer more flavourful description. Just a short note helps save a bit of mental bandwidth and get a handle on things when someone starts a new game and has a long list of unfamiliar weapons and ships to look at, even if the player can read the stats and test things in sim.

This is a matter of opinion, but consider changing names of (Scav) ships to (Salvaged). Then you can shorten the names from e.g. "Berserker (Scav) Custom Salvaged Freighter" to "Berserker (Salvaged) Custom Freighter" or "Berserker (Scavenged) Custom Freighter", which is shorter but conveys the same info.

There's also a bunch of typos of "scavanged" for "scavenged".

Also, the Heavy Frigate in "Shepherd (Heavy) class [Variant] Heavy Frigate" seems somewhat redundant.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:41:38 PM by stormbringer951 »
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 05:24:30 PM »

Huge wall o text but most of this is going to be about description/nitpicky stuff as well as things that are almost certainly already on your todo list or will be inevitably noticed by you and fixed, but:

In the Mercy system, is the Abandoned Research Station supposed to way out off the edge of the map?

Yes. This is part of the shady backstory of the system, kind of like an easter egg of sorts. Which reminds me, I have to put stashes etc. in those systems.

Tempest-S needs a ship system.

I kind of had that designed without a ship system. It's based on the original Tempest from 0.7.2a, which had the phase drone as the ship system. In that build of the game, the Tempest was pretty OP because of that drone alone. I felt that if I stuck a ship system on it and left it with a small missile slot, it might very well break the ship.

Fighter names are messed up (e.g. "Scale Support Fighter class Standard"). In ship_data.csv you should specify the name of the fighter wing in the name field, and the wing type as displayName in the .variant file. The convention for fighter wing naming is "[name from ship_data.csv] Class [displayName from relevant .variant]" when you target or mouseover them, and "[name from ship_data.csv] [displayName from .variant]" when you view in refit. You want something like "Scale" as the name in ship_data and "Support Fighter" in the displayName in the variant file.

I honestly didn't know this is how the naming worked. Will be fixed in a future quick fix.

The most important info in a ship description should be in the first paragraph because that's the tooltip, the rest all requires clickthrough to read the whole codex. For modifications of vanilla ships, that most important thing for me to know is how they differ from the vanilla ships. For example, the Shepherd Heavy/Light currently have the same tooltip description which gives absolutely no info about how they are different from a standard Shepherd and each other. You can fix this by just swapping those paragraphs around and rewriting them a little so the sentences still flow logically. This is done the clearer way round for the Hammerhead (TT), but the Lasher (Miner), Hammerhead (C), Cerberus (Miner) description uses a default-sounding first paragraph tooltip description and you have to click through to find out the important bits.

I kind of have trouble getting descriptions to work. Will fix in a future quickfix.

Stuff I noticed that are missing descriptions:

Ship Systems:
Heavy Borer Drones
Rapid Repair
Phase Skimmer (Tempest-S Terminator Drone)

Weapons:
Desolator Cannon

Ships:
Scale
Mule Light
Mule Heavy
Lumen Scav X
Junk (has one, but assigned to "Junker" and not "Junk" in description.csv)
Scintilla
Tempest-S
Terminator drone for Tempest-S

Damn. Completely missed those. Ight, will fix those in the next hotfix.

This is a matter of opinion, but consider changing names of (Scav) ships to (Salvaged). Then you can shorten the names from e.g. "Berserker (Scav) Custom Salvaged Freighter" to "Berserker (Salvaged) Custom Freighter" or "Berserker (Scavenged) Custom Freighter", which is shorter but conveys the same info.

There's also a bunch of typos of "scavanged" for "scavenged".

Also, the Heavy Frigate in "Shepherd (Heavy) class [Variant] Heavy Frigate" seems somewhat redundant.

I used (Scav) because I didn't want to conflict with other mods who used the Salvaged tag. Same for the Shepherd (Heavy), there's a few Shepherd mods already out there. But then again, I'm using Scale for a fighter, which I know is used by the Nomads. So I'll fix it in the next hotfix.

Thanks for the feedback!

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 02:20:16 AM »

I kind of had that designed without a ship system. It's based on the original Tempest from 0.7.2a, which had the phase drone as the ship system. In that build of the game, the Tempest was pretty OP because of that drone alone. I felt that if I stuck a ship system on it and left it with a small missile slot, it might very well break the ship.

I guessed when I saw the ship. The current situation is better than having the ship have a placeholder one that is not fun or meaningful to choose when to use may be worse than no ship system, but the lack of a ship system stands out since all other pilotable ships have one. I guess you could explain that for some reason, such as maybe the modifications to make it mount the autonomous drone etc, the ship cannot mount a ship system in the description, since this is particularly noticeable by the player?

I used (Scav) because I didn't want to conflict with other mods who used the Salvaged tag. Same for the Shepherd (Heavy), there's a few Shepherd mods already out there. But then again, I'm using Scale for a fighter, which I know is used by the Nomads. So I'll fix it in the next hotfix.

I don't have a problem with (Scav) specifically. It just seems a little redundant to have a tag on the end of the ship name, and the ship's actual type designation say the same info. It's only really noticeable on the text for the ship on the buy screen in stations because that also shows the ship designation in brackets, but it looks something like:

Glimmer (Scav) (Salvaged Frigate)
Shepherd (Heavy) (Heavy Frigate)

It just looks a little redundant, seems a bit like calling a "[Wolf (P)] class [variant name] [Pirate Frigate]", if you see what I mean? Since you need to give them a name that differentiates it from a stock Remnant droneship, going with something like "Glimmer (Scav) class Frigate" is fine IMO.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 04:35:07 AM »

QUICKFIX Since been updated.

-Fixed the decriptions and naming of various things.
-The drone for the Tempest (S) now works properly. And instils the appropriate level of fear.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 02:51:16 AM »

Some of the ship systems don't match the info, for example, a few Draco ships say they have an enhanced shield and "plasma jets", but still have High Energy Focus. The Sunder (Draco) is a prime example.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 02:40:22 PM »

Nice mod even if little bloated.
Cool fang ships paint.
Anyway where are they? Fangs and other faction? I do not see them on the map?

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 05:37:20 PM »

They are hidden on some planets with red "icons"
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 12:00:42 AM »

They are hidden on some planets with red "icons"

So they are separate factions that need to be uncovered and then appear normally on faction screen and take part in politics or they are kind of derelicts/AI remnants kind of threat?

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 03:54:38 AM »

So they are separate factions that need to be uncovered and then appear normally on faction screen and take part in politics or they are kind of derelicts/AI remnants kind of threat?

They're like AI/Remnant. Two factions spawn around Obsidian, while one spawns in Opuntia. Be forewarned - these are mini-boss factions of a sort, and they can seriously mess you up if you're still in the early game.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »

`Thanks for help.
Meet Mess nano ships and they  weren't specially though.
Fangs ship look cool with their paint job are their ships lootable?

BTW How your new trade goods work? Do they work as replacements for some normal goods or are different case? What about production?

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »

`Thanks for help.
Meet Mess nano ships and they  weren't specially though.
Fangs ship look cool with their paint job are their ships lootable?

BTW How your new trade goods work? Do they work as replacements for some normal goods or are different case? What about production?

Spoiler
Mess ships are weak for their class, unless you run into one with an absurd, and possibly horrific loadout, or a whole carrier swarm. Especially if it's a Dominator with nothing but Tachyon Lances or Typhoon Reaper Launchers.

Fang and Draco ships are lootable and pilotable, unlike the Mess ships, however they do have major drawbacks to using them.
[close]

The trade goods are like Volturnian Lobster - the further away you are from the source of the goods, the more expensive they become. They are produced irregularly from their sources, or more regularly from the Fuyutsuki market but dependant on market stability. As a byproduct, selling marines at the Fuyutsuki market is quite profitable. The Nanite Goo is also dropped by [REDACTED] in Galena.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »

Thanks for info.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47