Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 236746 times)

kekar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.5a (In Development) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2012, 02:05:21 AM »

Beyond 2x, it gets very Benny Hill. With lots of quick-loading because you engaged something you couldn't react to in time. Never mind that it'll be a bit rough trying to simulate the whole sector at something greater than that :) This is very much a "for now" feature, because of how the current star system is. Depending on how the larger campaign shapes up, it could go away entirely (if warranted), or not - but it won't get faster. It could really mess up the feel of the game, if we're not careful. I'd rather add other means of quickly getting from place to place than ramp up the fast-forward button.

What if the game automatically reduced the acceleration down to 1x (or some levels) when your fleet is at a certain proximity to other relevant objects?

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2012, 02:34:33 AM »

At 2x speed or more that proximity would need to be pretty large.. small fleet going at 150+ (300+) or more on the travel map, a small pirate fleet intersects you also going 120+ (240+) unless the proximity is almost a full screen away your not going to have time to react.. sure you can hit space and pause, but by the time you react I think it would be too late as even if you manage to pause before you engage, you still have to get your fleet to turn around..

And having a "feature" like that would annoy me more than it would help I think..

I just lost my fleet, I'm back in a shuttle, I have plenty of cash so I just want to get back to a orbital station so I can buy a new ship.. but I can't go very fast cause the game forces 1x speed whenever I get close to a small hostile fleet..
dunno about your games but in mine I end up getting tons and tons of small 1-3 ship fleets flying around.. Most of which are hostile to me..
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2012, 02:44:12 AM »

Spam f5. A lot. Quicksave is kinda useful.

kekar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:46 AM »

Well, if the game will have the time acceleration when it's ready, I feel it would need to have this implemented one way or another if time acceleration is going to stay. It's all about fine tuning the implementation. There's a lot of games that do this really well.
 At least it can be an option to enable this behavior.

The example you gave about you limping back to base at 1x while a pursing fleet, preventing you from accelerate time, could be solved by the game ignoring proximity for objects that already have triggered the slow-down last time, so pressing the accelerate button would speed things up again.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:56:00 AM by kekar »

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:28 AM »

Then you will in all likelyhood end up in a situation where you quicksave right before you get brutally slaughtered by a fleet.. and since you quicksaved so close, your screwed.

Well, if the game will have the time acceleration when it's ready, I feel it would need to have this implemented one way or another if time acceleration is going to stay. It's all about fine tuning the implementation. There's a lot of games that do this really well.
 At least it can be an option to enable this behavior.

The example you gave about you limping back to base at 1x while a pursing fleet, preventing you from accelerate time, could be solved by the game ignoring proximity for objects that already have triggered the slow-down last time, so pressing the accelerate button would speed things up again.

This could work, but Alex said it gets all Benny Hill beyond 2x, and I think 2x is just fine. but shall see.. just gotta wait a few days for Alex to put the finishing touches on it :)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2012, 08:01:54 AM »

Added fast-forward button (speeds up the campaign game 2x, bound to Shift by default)

instead of binding it to a button, how about we activate the time acceleration when you zoom completely out in the campaign? (it seems like it kind of does that already.)
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2012, 12:42:16 PM »

Then you will in all likelyhood end up in a situation where you quicksave right before you get brutally slaughtered by a fleet.. and since you quicksaved so close, your screwed.

mmm yeah I did that once - Overall, if youre paying attention, you tend to be able to do it without too much problem...

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »

Once you have an Aurora, you're unstoppable.  I was able to capture 5 Auroras and a variety of other craft, and at this point I can take on and completely destroy those 10-triangle Tri-Tachyon fleets (the ones with an Odyssey, multiple Auroras, and a Paragon) with NO CASUALTIES.

It helps that I have an absolutely broken loadout for my flagship Aurora; it can defeat any ship in the game in a 1v1 fight, and is utterly invincible when backed up by support craft.

Hull Mods
Stabilized Shields (This cuts down the flux usage by an incredible amount.  Since you'll have shields up for the vast majority of the time in an Aurora, this is equivalent to about 20 flux vents and only costs 8 OP.  There's a reason that this is on the Aurora by default.)
Extended Missile Racks (Holy ***, this is worth the money.  Instead of being able to fire three salvos of the Harpoons and five Reaper torpedoes, I can fire five salvos of Harpoons and eight Reaper torpedoes.  Nearly doubling the effective killing capabilities of this variant means that the extended racks are mandatory.)
Augmented Engines (This is well worth the exorbitant cost.  Being able to keep up with and sometimes outrun a Medusa is amazingly useful.  Few ships can get away from me using this mod, plus it allows circle strafing at a high enough speed to avoid many projectile weapons.)
Additional Thrusters (Or whatever it's called, this adds maneuverability to the ship so that it can turn very quickly.  This is very useful for just about everything that this ship does, as it can keep the Pulse Lasers pointed on the enemy, it can swing the ship around to dodge missiles, it helps the ship strafe the enemy to avoid some projectile weapons, and it allows the torpedo tube to be used effectively.)

Weapons Group 1 (Linked)
2x Pulse Laser [Two front medium turrets] (This weapon is able to put the pressure on the enemy destroyer/cruiser/capship shields until they eventually drop, and has a good enough range to stay out of the way of most other weapons, and they are rapid-fire and turn fast enough to drop any and all fighter/bomber wings and frigates that come near.  Seriously, I can just hold the trigger down and watch the destruction.  The pulse laser is by far the best weapon in the game for its OP cost.)

Weapons Group 2 (Linked, Automatic)
3x IR Pulse Laser [Three front small turrets] (These help the full Pulse Lasers deal damage.  The constant non-beam pressure brings down shields very effectively and is virtually impossible to dodge.  Because of the volume of fire, missiles and fighters also fall prey to the dakkadakkadakkadakka.)
3x LR PD Laser [Two rear small turrets and one rear medium turret] (These offer extra missile protection from behind.  Since the shields take a while to extend to the back, this is fairly important.  Plus, you can swing the ship around with the increased turn speed to take out some missiles and fighters using these, if you really want to.)

Weapons Group 3
1x Cyclone Reaper Tube [Front heavy hardpoint] (We don't have enough OP for a Hurricane MIRV, so we use Reapers instead.  This is very good for putting ships into overload since the damage is so high.  And if the enemy ship drops their shields instead of going into overload...)

Weapons Group 4 (Linked)
4x Harpoon Rack [Four front small hardpoints] (Oh my God these things are godlike.  These are linked because you will only need to fire these off all at once.  With the extended racks, you get 5 salvos of 4 missiles, which is enough to drop a Paragon.  Each salvo does 3,000 explosive damage, meaning that if you get the other ship to drop shields and you use your supercharged engines to swing around to the rear or an area of exposed hull, you can let loose with your IR Pulse Lasers, Pulse Lasers, the Reaper Tube, and -- most importantly -- the frontal Harpoons.  Nothing survives.)

The rest of the OPs are used for Flux Vents.  Being able to tank lots of hits while constantly pounding on the enemy with Pulse Lasers is very valuable.

The important part is the frontal array of Harpoons which give meaning to my flagship's name: ISS Ezio, Aurora-Class Assassin Cruiser.  Being able to deal 15,000 explosive damage in five seconds is enormously powerful.  As soon as you get behind an unshielded ship, that ship is ***.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:17:58 PM by Dark.Revenant »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2012, 01:40:27 PM »

I have to ask, will there come an ability to have MORE weapon groups for the larger capships?

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »

I have to ask what you even need more groups for?
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »

Not for the vanilla ships, I don't think, but for modded enormous capships, if can get quite cramped with those. So therefore my reasons.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2012, 08:01:13 PM »

I have to ask what you even need more groups for?
For more weapons, of course! ;D
More seriously, it is a bit cramped when you have a lot of weapons to see one weapon group take up more space then all three others in pictures.

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2012, 03:40:18 AM »

1 sabot
2 harpoon
3 front/assault weapons
4 flak/pd
5 anti frigate side/rear

on a big ship
just an example

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55:37 AM »

A 5° weapons group is needed for biggest ships. Also a one shot button

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2012, 07:49:28 AM »

We desperately need more weapon groups... Cruiser and above are where they are needed. 4 is fine for destroyers and frigates, but I often find myself wanting 5 for cruisers, and 6 or more for the cap ships. I make it work, but it isn't ideal...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29