Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 236615 times)

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.5a (In Development) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »

Love the inclusion of Fast Forwarding, though I'm hoping it won't be limited to just 2x speed (halving 4 minute travel times still means it takes 2 minutes to get from one station to another, but a 10x reduction makes it just 24 seconds long).

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »

I'm curious, actually, what the purpose of the non-combat speed calculation is?

I, for one, find even the revised version you've mentioned exceedingly non-intuitive.  I'd expect my fleet to move at the speed of the slowest ship (excluding fighters that have hanger space) - penalties based on fleet size just feel weird.  Especially the new method looks like it will give some odd results - if I have three ships with the same speed (so speed = ship speed minus fleet size penalty), and then add a few much faster ships (so the average speed increases) then my fleet as a whole will speed up?  Huh?

If the purpose is to discourage oversized fleets, I'd suggest finding some other way to do that; maybe making ships have some small maintenance costs in terms of supplies?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:53:09 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »

....Especially the new method looks like it will give some odd results - if I have three ships with the same speed (so speed = ship speed minus fleet size penalty), and then add a few much faster ships (so the average speed increases) then my fleet as a whole will speed up?...

Quote from: Alex
Changed travel speed to be tiered, to avoid protracted chases where one side is just slightly faster than the other

I think in next patch that your fleet speed will move in quanta rather incrementally
i.e.
there are set fleet-speed tiers  and your fleet speed calculation results get you put in to them
e.g. 100, 100, 120, 140, 155,...
rather than just the calculation results
e.g. 100, 101, 121, 143, 158,...

although this is just a guess
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:06:04 PM by intothewildblueyonder »

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »

• Changed retreat and surrender mechanics
    • Retreating ships have a chance to surrender based on how damaged their hull is
    • The chance is always lower than the chance to repair a disabled ship - letting a ship retreat never gives better odds
    • Retreating ships take some extra damage, unless the fleet had the "Escape" tactical goal
    • Ships left in reserve are treated as retreating, unless the tactical goal is "Escape", in which case they're all automatically captured
      • This means that any ships without enough crew to deploy can never escape and will always be captured

What would happen if, faced with a much larger fleet, the player chose to engage (attack/defend instead of escape) but then just deployed one ship, retreated, and waited for the enemy fleet to take all the objectives? Would that potentially be a safer way to get a fleet out of a bad situation than actually trying to escape?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:13:15 PM by harrumph »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »

What would happen if, faced with a much larger fleet, the player chose to engage (attack/defend instead of escape) but then just deployed one ship, retreated, and waited for the enemy fleet to take all the objectives? Would that potentially be a safer way to get a fleet out of a bad situation than actually trying to escape?

Potentially - but the retreated/reserve ships would take some damage in the process, after the "battle". So after a few rounds of that, the player's fleet would be very beat up, leading to some ships surrendering instead of retreating.

On the other hand, ships that "escape" aren't subject to this extra, post-battle damage - assuming they actually manage to escape.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »

I think in next patch that your fleet speed will move in quanta rather incrementally
Yes, the tiered travel speed makes sense from a game-mechanics perspective (and could be easily displayed by just dividing the current values by 10 and rounding down).  It's how you get the base speed prior to applying that step that is, to me, counterintuitive.

Although, tiered speed might not be needed when we've got more than one system - add interstellar travel, and suddenly there's a limit on chase duration; if the fleeing fleet gets far enough out to jump to hyperdrive, well, that's that.  Of course, in that case, we'd need a good built-in ETA calculation - so that you'd be able to see something like "pursuing pirate fleet; intercept in 2 days", or "pursuing pirate fleet; intercept in 5 days (outside hyper limit)", or something.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

orion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »

Is there any word on getting the ability to tell fleet to travel somewhere off screen rather than having to click and hold in the direction you want to travel? i.e. travel to Corvus II when you're no where near Corvus II and you have no idea which direction to go (since the game is paused when in the map view).

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »

Yes, the tiered travel speed makes sense from a game-mechanics perspective (and could be easily displayed by just dividing the current values by 10 and rounding down).  It's how you get the base speed prior to applying that step that is, to me, counterintuitive.

I see what you mean. I would have to see the calculations to be sure, but I think as long as no ships speeds are placed too close to tier divisions then neither to fleet penalty nor the lowest speed will affect fleet speed tier.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »

Any chance of increasing the range of cruiser and capital weapons? Reasoning is here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1296.msg13791#msg13791

Otherwise, this "patch" looks amazing! Awesome work.

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »

The MRM pods and sweet new AI will be much appreciated! Can't wait 'til the next release :)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »

would it be possible to get these fighters implemented into the game i would LOVE to see there weapons systems and stats. :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Metadi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »

All awesome changes, and woo! New missiles! ;D

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »

Nice changes, I especially like the changed to fleet speed and the 2x time mode.

Btw, have you fixed the bug that makes a fighter group still appeared damaged on a combat mini-map if you brought it in with missing ships, even after you send it to repair at a carrier? Example: Bring in a talon group with 2 out of 4 ships alive, order "repair and refit", after it's fixed it has 4 ships but appears to still have 2 on the mini-map.
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

stonehand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 03:24:28 PM »

do have 1 suggestion can u disable the abilty for fighercraft/bombers to lose their weapons after being repaired/boarded since we can't put new 1's on?

very much looking forward to it will miss my speedy tempest and madussa fleet
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:37:34 PM by stonehand »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »

do have 1 suggestion can u disable the abilty for fighercraft/bombers to lose their weapons after being repaired/boarded since we can't put new 1's on?

Ahh, good news - this is one of those fixes I made, but forgot to write down :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29