Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question on top speed, acceleration, and maneuverability  (Read 7210 times)

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
Question on top speed, acceleration, and maneuverability
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:08:09 PM »

ok what is maneuverability?

lets just assume top speed is vertical top speed.

1.what is your horizontal(strafing) top speed, is  horizontal(strafing) top speed function of vertical top speed? what about back ward vertical top speed?

2. is acceleration proportional to top speed ( does increase in top speed correspond to a similar increase in acceleration)? if not do you have separate acceleration for horizontal and vertical (forward and backward) movement.

3 and most importantly what is this thing call maneuverability? is it turn radius?

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
Re: Question on top speed, acceleration, and maneuverability
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 11:43:31 PM »

Just my probable guesses from playing for some time now:

1) Top speed applies to any direction you travel. i.e. Reverse top speed is same as forward top speed and strafing top speed. Pretty sure about this one.

2) I think acceleration is tied to maneuverability. Not so sure about this one.

3) I think this ties to turning speed. Higher maneuverability = faster turning speed (not strafing).
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:08:22 AM »

In the game files ships have the following stats for their handling:

Speed: Ship's maximum speed in units/second, in any direction.

Acceleration: Ship's increase in speed, primarily in the forward direction (I think).

Deceleration: Ship's increase in speed in the reverse direction (may also apply to strafing since those seem slower)*

Turn rate: Ship's maximum rotation speed, in degrees/second (I think)

Turn acceleration: Ship's increase in turn rate

* Because Acceleration and Deceleration are two disparate stats, you can get ships that accelerate faster than they stop. Most stock ships have this difference in fact, though the difference is usually minor.

Under the assumption you're specifically referring to buffs from systems/hullmods etc. then the keywords "Speed", "Acceleration" and "Manoeuvrability" are exactly what you would expect:
- Speed is top speed
- Acceleration is increase in top speed
- Manoeuvrability is turn rate and (usually) also acceleration/turn acceleration

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:23:16 AM »

Among other questions, it would be nice to know when exactly is Acceleration vs Deceleration used.
Like:
1) Acceleration vector and speed vector directions are opposite - Deceleration
2) Acceleration vector and speed vector directions match - Acceleration
3) Acceleration vector is perpendicular to speed vector - ?
4) All of unmentioned in-between states - ???

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »

Among other questions, it would be nice to know when exactly is Acceleration vs Deceleration used.
Like:

Press W: acceleration. Press S or C: deceleration.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »

And strafing uses some % of Acceleration.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 10:33:04 AM »

Oh, right, yes - 25% for capitals, 50% for cruisers, 75% for destroyers, and 100% for frigates, if you're curious.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 08:55:49 PM »

Oh, right, yes - 25% for capitals, 50% for cruisers, 75% for destroyers, and 100% for frigates, if you're curious.

Indeed?

Furiously takes notes

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 09:22:04 PM »

Like:

Press W: acceleration. Press S or C: deceleration.

Much more straightforward than I expected. That's what I get for trying to analyze a problem in wrong terms :).

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »

TIL :D

I'm wondering if all these wonderful under-the-hood mechanics might be compiled one day into a nice big manual.

It's surprising how terrible most game manuals are now, even those with rather involved mechanics.  Trowling online for the information is fairly common, but as these websites are usually updated and maintained by 3rd parties, there is no guarantee that the information will be complete or even up to date.

I would pay happily for a complete manual covering all aspects of the game including detailed behind the scene mechanics, but I guess not everyone wants to know how everything works in detail, so I'm not sure if it would be even profitable for the work required to put something together.

Will the tooltips maybe have little tidbits of information like this added to them at some stage as another possibility?

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 11:07:02 PM »

yeah i agree like we could also use the information such as deployment points and the deployment supply for the ships  , as well as their sensor strengths and profile. those are all useful information when we choose to buy a ship.

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:21 AM »

yeah i agree like we could also use the information such as deployment points and the deployment supply for the ships  , as well as their sensor strengths and profile. those are all useful information when we choose to buy a ship.

Sensor strengths, and profiles are fixed value for all ship depended on their class/size. You get base range of 300. 30, 60, 90, and 150 for Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, and Capital. Hull mod can modify these value. Only top five strongest strengths, and profiles are counted. Those information can be see if you hover your cursor over them in lower left.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »

There's quite a lot of useful information on the ship info cards, via the in-game codex or by the ? button next to each ship.  I'm also considering updating the wiki to show more information that is not nominally provided, such as ship acceleration and turning rates
There's also a push to polish up the game concepts documentation on the wiki, including information on sensors and now movement

It is an 3rd party volunteer effort however we do take accuracy seriously, such as tagging which game version pages are verified for and it's probably as good as we'll get for now in lieu of a proper official manual.  If anyone comes across an answer to a great question, just like this thread, then please do let me know so I can get it in there :)