Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Revisiting the Economy  (Read 25368 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Revisiting the Economy
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:40:39 PM by Alex »

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
Re: Revisiting the Economy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »

I think I haven't seen you post this frequent, I take it that the things are going exceptionally well?

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »

Not really addressed in the blog post, but I take it you could just plop down a station anywhere? i.e. Make a colony in the midpoint between Jangala and Asharu.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:25:13 PM »

Very exciting! I've recently taken to reading more development blogs of games I play, and yours has been consistently this easiest to digest and understand all of the decisions you made about mechanics. Also good to see stuff about tooltips in here, I imagine the game would be daunting to a new player without them.

Unfortunately I have nothing to say regarding content, except that it all looks lovely and I look forward to ruining all of my grades playing it.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »

I think I haven't seen you post this frequent, I take it that the things are going exceptionally well?

I mean, things are going pretty well, but as far as this blog post, I was just excited about the change - and the consequent removal of a bunch of unneeded mechanics - and so ended up writing about it outside the normal blog post... schedule is perhaps too strong a word, so let's go with "pacing".

Not really addressed in the blog post, but I take it you could just plop down a station anywhere? i.e. Make a colony in the midpoint between Jangala and Asharu.

A colony requires a planet; a "waystation" is a structure you build at a colony (largely in orbit, presumably).

Very exciting! I've recently taken to reading more development blogs of games I play, and yours has been consistently this easiest to digest and understand all of the decisions you made about mechanics.

Thank you - I do wonder about how comprehensible what I write is to someone that's not as immersed in it as I am, so I'm really glad to hear this and it means a lot!

Also good to see stuff about tooltips in here, I imagine the game would be daunting to a new player without them.

Probably a bit daunting with, too, but I'm doing what I can!

Unfortunately I have nothing to say regarding content, except that it all looks lovely and I look forward to ruining all of my grades playing it.

Sorry not sorry? :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »

Looks good!

Bribe Guntails

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »

After reading the post, I'm definitely warming up to the Accessibility mechanic. I see how it makes positive simplifications which are easier to understand.

I'm getting more excited for the next update and I believe that the tooltips will explain everything.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 10:37:15 PM »

Looks great so far! I really like the simplicity of seeing how you profit- and then a drill down to see the modifiers on Accessibility. Very easy to understand at a glance.

basildazz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 01:19:31 AM »

No playable release over Christmas & the new year Mr. Alex. That dog don't hunt.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 01:55:23 AM »

Neat! The mechanic looks really interesting.

It does feel like Accessibility being a % but one that counts down from 100 and can go negative with no cap, as well as modifying prices (but not by its actual % value) is a bit confusing. The idea that smuggling reduces accessibility as well is a bit... awkward? It is *true* that black markets are less accessible than open ones, but I don't think many people would phrase it that way.

Would 'Remoteness' or 'Trade Difficulty' be more intuitive? Then you could write the consequences in a fairly simple list like:
  • 0 Trade Difficulty: 100% price, no unit restrictions
  • 100 TD: 75% price, no unit restrictions
  • Every further 25 TD: -10% price, -1 unit available to trade

Another advantage of this is that '20 Ly of distance adds 200 Trade Difficulty' also feels more natural than '20 Ly of distance reduces accessibility by 200%'. E.g. you can rewrite the Accessibility penalties as:
  • Every Ly of distance: 10 TD
  • Target has no spaceport: 150 TD
  • Trade is smuggling: 100 TD
It also means you can have less subtraction in your calculations. In the current draft starting out with 100 then subtracting away feels like a bit more mental work for the player than just addition (though of course freeports etc. will require it anyway so maybe it's not that much of a benefit?).

Brokenmind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 02:55:35 AM »

Great post!!

if i understood correct each market will have different accessibility score for each other market depending on distance value. All other modifiers( which are super cool btw:) )  are fixed binary up/downgrades.( you have them or not).
My suggestion is when selecting  a planet for colonization on the star map it  may be useful  to have a filter turning on/of  radius around the planet indicating the penalty levels to accessibility from distance - 50%  - 100% etc  . ( similar to fuel range  but around a selected planet not the player fleet)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 03:27:21 AM »

i don't have much to comment on this other than "looks great!". lots of things the player can do to influence the rating(s), and very clear how these things would affect potential export profit.

i am a little sad that those pretty colored reach indicator circles didn't work well for anything other than being pretty though. :D

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 03:51:38 AM »

Great blog post! With this colony system shaping up quite nicely, now it'd be cool if we had a fleet and blueprint system where you could customize your fleets and manufacture ships/equipment in your colonies for which you have the blueprints for. That would be like the cherry on top!

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 04:15:57 AM »

Always nice when you get to slice through a Gordian knot of tangled game rules, eh?

First screenshot looks like a depiction of a Venn Diagram Monster

Not strictly related to the new stuff, but I have a question: How quickly does the system adapt to changes in a particular market's supply/demand?
The particular scenario I've been thinking of:
- Event temporarily increases demand for commodity X on a market
- Market immediately increases imports from supplier (possibly the same one it already had)
- No supply shortfall for player to take advantage of

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 06:21:14 AM »

Excellent, every day is one step closer to 0.9
Pages: [1] 2 3 4