Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 722664 times)

BreenBB

• Commander
    • View Profile

The Guardian is probably too powerful for a player ship. In this mod it spawns a large number of derelict drones over time, has even more powerful stats than the Radiant, and has the same ship system.

I just personally not fan off things in games when NPCs have stuff what player can't have for some reasons, take for example first Half-Life and Half-Life 2, in first game player have access even for alien organic weapons, while in HL2 arsenal is both very scarce, and it has NPC only stuff, like Alyx SMG and emplacement Sniper Rifle in Episode 2 which player can't use despite they looks really cool.

So I liked ability to be capturable just for that reason, especially its looks strange for lore perspective, why one specific drone can't be captured at all, its looks logical for Omega drones, because they are something what no one saw before, while these Guardians appear both as keepers for Cryosleepers and appear in bounties, again as idea how make them not absurdly overpowered, you disable that drone spawning, make a bit toned down stats in player-captured version, and explain it in description like it is some battle damage which no one know how to repair.

And in late game you already capable of destroying pretty much, you already need to be strong enough to defeat it in first place, and enemy ships in vanilla not always recoverable even with story points.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:47:20 AM by BreenBB »

th3boodlebot

• Commander
    • View Profile

not to bother anyone but is this m,od getting an update for 9.5?

curious for purposes of a playthrough

capshades

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yeah the mod author is working on it.  Will release a test version first and then handle flavor text and other non-functional updates in a later release.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

The hullmod description could use better phrasing like "Beam weapons that generate hard flux (highlight text) deal 50% additional/extra damage to armor" and we should already understand most of it.

Yeah I was being too wordy. I need to try to remember to be concise with those kinds of things. Anyway this should be a bit better. I also highlight what type of flux is dealt in the weapon tooltip now for every beam just to make it extra clear:

Spoiler

[close]

I just personally not fan off things in games when NPCs have stuff what player can't have for some reasons, take for example first Half-Life and Half-Life 2, in first game player have access even for alien organic weapons, while in HL2 arsenal is both very scarce, and it has NPC only stuff, like Alyx SMG and emplacement Sniper Rifle in Episode 2 which player can't use despite they looks really cool.

So I liked ability to be capturable just for that reason, especially its looks strange for lore perspective, why one specific drone can't be captured at all, its looks logical for Omega drones, because they are something what no one saw before, while these Guardians appear both as keepers for Cryosleepers and appear in bounties, again as idea how make them not absurdly overpowered, you disable that drone spawning, make a bit toned down stats in player-captured version, and explain it in description like it is some battle damage which no one know how to repair.

And in late game you already capable of destroying pretty much, you already need to be strong enough to defeat it in first place, and enemy ships in vanilla not always recoverable even with story points.

Fair enough, it will be pretty easy to make this a setting and so I will do so. It's really just using code to add a tag if the setting is on - so not a lot of work. You will still need to take the Automated Ships skill to do this though.

Yeah the mod author is working on it.  Will release a test version first and then handle flavor text and other non-functional updates in a later release.

No bother at all. Yup I'm pretty close now I just need to clean up skills and do some campaign tests (which might prompt a bit more work we'll see). I'm not necessarily shooting for 100% bug free since it will be a beta, but I at least want to take care of the lower hanging fruit first.

I also want to see how easy it is to implement the Shard's circle firing behavior because that would work perfectly with many of the tank-like gunships.

beyondfubar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Best mod ever Thanks!

Can't wait to try the new version you eluded to there, good luck!

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

^ Thanks I appreciate it!  :)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Can we see more changes to skills, please?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

As in you would like to see more of what I'm currently doing with skills (screenshots, etc) or you want me to change skills more than I already have? (I haven't showcased everything I'm doing and I'm also not done thinking about changes. Some things I'm still in limbo about as far as them being worth the back-end hassle.)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile

As in you would like to see more of what I'm currently doing with skills (screenshots, etc) or you want me to change skills more than I already have? (I haven't showcased everything I'm doing and I'm also not done thinking about changes. Some things I'm still in limbo about as far as them being worth the back-end hassle.)
Just screenshots

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Just screenshots

Sure. Here are most of the combat skills as they currently are implemented. I still haven't changed Missile Specialization but I'm fairly certain I know what I am going to do with it. Fpr one thing, 100% additional missile storage is waaaay too good for this mod. Fire rate is also underwhelming in most cases. I'll probably make the storage component 50% and part of the elite version and provide a small bonus to missile damage (like 20%) for the elite version as well. Systems Expertise seems like it will be fine considering how powerful some of the ship systems are. The only thing I might do is move some some of bonuses to the elite version and possibly move the elite bonus down to the normal version.

(Just be aware I'm leaving this evening for a 3 day camping/kayaking trip so I won't be on here. I'll respond to any feedback when I return.  :) )

Helmsmanship:
Spoiler

[close]

Damage Control: (In Combat not Industry and competes with Flux Modulation so it needs to be fairly strong.)
Spoiler

[close]

Point Defense: (The hullmod unlocked by the Elite version is very, very useful for support builds. Npc fleets use it too.)
Spoiler

[close]

Target Analysis:
Spoiler

[close]

Strike Commander: (I may have already shown this but I don't quite remember.)
Spoiler

[close]

Ranged Specialization: (Might make the Elite version better. Still deciding on a good bonus that's not too overpowered though.)
Spoiler

[close]

Impact Mitigation: (I'm going to make the armor calculation bonus scale with hullsize like Helmsmanship. Just haven't gotten to it. And might make the Elite version more interesting.)
Spoiler

[close]

Darrow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

No pressure or anything.

But I still havent played the new update solely because I'm waiting for this mod to update.

Excited for the release, keep at it.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

No pressure or anything.

But I still havent played the new update solely because I'm waiting for this mod to update.

Excited for the release, keep at it.

Thanks and I am slowly but surely making progress. Some recent skill changes:

Spoiler

[close]

I want to look at Shield Modulation's elite bonus and make a couple changes to EW and CM. Then I need to do something with industry as far as combat bonuses at the end of the tree. Not sure what to do with Derelict Contingent yet for instance.

Finally, I am making skill thresholds able to adjusted in the mod settings file. I have a feeling its going to be hard to satisfy everyone with any one threshold.

Albreo

• Commander
  • A! Oh nyo!
    • View Profile

Not sure what to do with Derelict Contingent yet for instance.
How about bringing back the D-mods supply cost reduction.

Having a fleet-wide buff on combat tree is a great idea. I'm about to suggest that myself but I want to look at your update first. As for T5 combat, I think a chunky fleet-wide boost would be enticing. All T5s have to be able to lure players into putting points in their respective tree one way or another.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 03:16:00 AM by Albreo »

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile

If I may nitpick a little, can you reduce the fleet/marine bonuses from elite Combat skills?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Not sure what to do with Derelict Contingent yet for instance.
How about bringing back the D-mods supply cost reduction.

Having a fleet-wide buff on combat tree is a great idea. I'm about to suggest that myself but I want to look at your update first. As for T5 combat, I think a chunky fleet-wide boost would be enticing. All T5s have to be able to lure players into putting points in their respective tree one way or another.

That's definitely an option yeah. My only concern is that I'd ideally I'd like it to be good through late game though. Is that benefit still useful at the high level colony stage? It doesn't reduce DP it really only saves on supplies/money afaik.

As far as combat T5 yeah I'm considering something like that. I'm probably going to move missile specialization down a tier, reduce its effectiveness a bit, and put Shield Modulation at T5 since I'd imagine few players wouldn't take that skill. That also puts specialization skills in a linear path which is a goal of the skill system overhaul. It lets the player avoid specializations while you wrap around a tree if they want to and gives them the option to skip them altogether and choose a couple low tier skills of other trees if they want.

If I may nitpick a little, can you reduce the fleet/marine bonuses from elite Combat skills?

Sure what value would feel better? 20%?

Keep in mind that I reduced the bonus to that stat that you get from Ground Operations so the max bonus the player can get stays the same. I'm definitely trying to keep DatonKallandor's advice about overall power creep in mind. That's why I am trying to not buff the same thing when I add additional effects to skills. So far, things feel pretty good but I haven't tested some of the most recent changes yet.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 125