Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 722358 times)

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

You could release an update in half a year and it'd be fine, no one here is owed anything, with an exception being you and any other mod maker for doing such great stuff for an already fantastic game. Take your time, when you have a beta I'm eager to test it, gonna have to see what I can get up to with the new game in AC.

capshades

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yes, rest assured there are a lot of us looking forward to your progress, and I'm very sorry to hear about your wrists.  Perhaps try a different chair/table, to change the angle that you use with the mouse?

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

Thanks for the understanding everyone. :)

@capshades

I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow and I will mention it. I've tried lowering/raising the angle but I think I also need to get an elbow and wrist cushion and I definitely need to ice it more when I have pain. Unfortunately, it may be early athritis and I'm just going to have to deal with it/change my diet (nooo lol).

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

The cushion may help a ton especially if you are gonna develop arthritis, but there's lots of ways to help deal with that. Good luck and hope you get some relief!

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

In case of a version of 0.95 Archean Order being available, all my mods and future mods will support and make compatibility patches if necessary. Better Colonies as of now no longer needs any changes nor a compatibility patch since what conflicted with Archean Order no longer exist.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The cushion may help a ton especially if you are gonna develop arthritis, but there's lots of ways to help deal with that. Good luck and hope you get some relief!

Thanks and yeah it definitely seems to help. Much less or even no pain after long periods at the computer with a cushion for my elbow and wrist.

In case of a version of 0.95 Archean Order being available, all my mods and future mods will support and make compatibility patches if necessary. Better Colonies as of now no longer needs any changes nor a compatibility patch since what conflicted with Archean Order no longer exist.

Oh nice! I'll run a test with it and let you know once I get to campaign testing - which should be happening soon. I just finished up all the variants and added additional ones for some of the capital ships. So now it's mostly a matter of clean up and implementing the new stuff from 0.95a.

There is also a bug with the Tachyon Lance changes that I need to track down. It has only happened a couple of times out of a lot of tests so its been a bit difficult to pinpoint what exactly is causing it. (That's what I get for trying to be fancy with custom combat engine hashmaps required by everyframe scripts running on separate frame intervals. I'll figure out a way to maintain the data stability I said... It won't be as hard as I think I said... :P)

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Well, I've finished the obligatory station balance pass after the weapon adjustments and increased the amount of strike craft they field as a whole. They will probably be harder than the last version.

I went through some of the energy weapons and missiles and buffed some low tech ships' dissipation a bit. Beams should definitely feel a little different.

That's probably all the balancing I'm going to do for this update. From here, I will just be working on descriptions and 0.95a integration.

Descriptions will probably take a bit, but it shouldn't be too terribly long (hopefully) before the update is ready now. Balancing is generally the toughest/most time consuming part.

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Cannot wait to see what AE brings to the table in the next release, should be a fun time to test it all out and cannot wait to hear the great music and find BP's of all the great stuff again.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:49:24 PM by Radicaljack »

Albreo

• Commander
  • A! Oh nyo!
    • View Profile

I'm impressed with the new story mission. A pretty good multi-prong approach even though there still some plot holes here and there. You would have to beef up that unique phase ship if you which to integrate it into your mod though. It's crappy.

The new raiding mechanic is great but still needs improvement. Especially, the reserved force that does nothing and unlimited supply you can get from raiding pirate base over and over.

The new contract mission is kind of a mess with contacts all over the place. Low paying wages discourage me. Sometimes your contact went missing and it's kind of a waste of time to check in on them every now and then. If Alex could make it so that we could check all available priority contact quests on the fly...

Do you plan on messing with the skill tree? I think a few will need a necessary balance pass, especially fighter buff. +100% damage to fighters would be utterly broken. Carrier Group would need a minimum value of 15-20% if you exceed it. Weapon Drills is useless, my fleet only has a 3% buff now. And if my fleet is not this big (not even max yet), then I have no chance of completing any end-game content anyway. Gunnery Implant's ECM might have to go. Coordinated Maneuvers and Wolfpack Tactics shouldn't require an officer to take effect. Automated Ships also need limitations removed so that I can have fun with them hehe.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Cannot wait to see what AE brings to the table in the next release, should be a fun time to test it all out and cannot wait to hear the great music and find BP's of all the great stuff again.

Thanks! :)

I'm impressed with the new story mission. A pretty good multi-prong approach even though there still some plot holes here and there. You would have to beef up that unique phase ship if you which to integrate it into your mod though. It's crappy.

The new raiding mechanic is great but still needs improvement. Especially, the reserved force that does nothing and unlimited supply you can get from raiding pirate base over and over.

The new contract mission is kind of a mess with contacts all over the place. Low paying wages discourage me. Sometimes your contact went missing and it's kind of a waste of time to check in on them every now and then. If Alex could make it so that we could check all available priority contact quests on the fly...

Do you plan on messing with the skill tree? I think a few will need a necessary balance pass, especially fighter buff. +100% damage to fighters would be utterly broken. Carrier Group would need a minimum value of 15-20% if you exceed it. Weapon Drills is useless, my fleet only has a 3% buff now. And if my fleet is not this big (not even max yet), then I have no chance of completing any end-game content anyway. Gunnery Implant's ECM might have to go. Coordinated Maneuvers and Wolfpack Tactics shouldn't require an officer to take effect. Automated Ships also need limitations removed so that I can have fun with them hehe.

Yes skills is definitely one of the things I am going to look at as part of the 0.95 integration. As a whole I'll likely reduce their effectiveness since endgame content is already designed to be difficult and the officer numbers in NPC fleets might make it too difficult otherwise.

I haven't gone too far yet in the story on my vanilla run but I'm looking forward testing more out and thinking about if I need to make adjustments for the mod, etc.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

How many total fighter bays are in the average late game fleet for the player in this mod?

I ask because Carrier Group is one of the main skills that will need to be adjusted since the mod obviously adds a lot more bays to most ships.

I'm tentatively setting the threshold to 20 bays for the maximum bonus (so capital carrier + two cruiser carriers - or 7-10 destroyer carriers, etc), but the bonus has been reduced to 30% down from 50%.

Thoughts? Should it be higher to account for warship bays?

(And yes I will override the Automated DP threshold for that skill as well so in addition feel free to suggest a number for that one too.)

Mysticunicycle

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Just chiming in about how useless skills are. I only have a fleet of 23 ships, and that includes logistics. I have 2% damage bonus from Weapon Drills. I'm pretty endgame, and every fleet I go up against takes the 180/120 split of deployment points. If I filled my fleet spots with Paragons to balance the deployment points, I think I'd get decimal values from Weapon Drills.

I would love to play this conversion when it updates, with skills that are less useless than vanilla :].

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Just chiming in about how useless skills are. I only have a fleet of 23 ships, and that includes logistics. I have 2% damage bonus from Weapon Drills. I'm pretty endgame, and every fleet I go up against takes the 180/120 split of deployment points. If I filled my fleet spots with Paragons to balance the deployment points, I think I'd get decimal values from Weapon Drills.

I would love to play this conversion when it updates, with skills that are less useless than vanilla :].

If I am understanding what you mean by fill your fleet with Paragons, I think the DP ratio is more effected by officers now based upon what I have read rather than hullsize. The idea of the 0.95 update was to reduce the effectiveness of capital stacking and emphasize merc officers in late game fleets. At least from what I have gathered.

As far as Weapon Drills (and really any scaling skill just in general), that will be something to address. What is your total DP? When it says "Maximum at 90 or less total combat ship recovery cost for fleet." does that mean the total DP actually deployed in the battle? Or total DP of the fleet period regardless of what you actually deploy?

I'm a little confused as to how the scaling currently works since I haven't tested campaign stuff and just now got to skills.

capshades

• Ensign
    • View Profile

How many total fighter bays are in the average late game fleet for the player in this mod?

I ask because Carrier Group is one of the main skills that will need to be adjusted since the mod obviously adds a lot more bays to most ships.

I'm tentatively setting the threshold to 20 bays for the maximum bonus (so capital carrier + two cruiser carriers - or 7-10 destroyer carriers, etc), but the bonus has been reduced to 30% down from 50%.

Thoughts? Should it be higher to account for warship bays?

(And yes I will override the Automated DP threshold for that skill as well so in addition feel free to suggest a number for that one too.)

I typically have two fleets, one with the hightech battelship (forgot the name) and 8 apogees, no other carriers.

Other fleet depends on parent faction, but typically 5-6 battleships and only 1-2 carriers.  I don't typically go for light/medium carriers in late game.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I typically have two fleets, one with the hightech battelship (forgot the name) and 8 apogees, no other carriers.

Other fleet depends on parent faction, but typically 5-6 battleships and only 1-2 carriers.  I don't typically go for light/medium carriers in late game.

What I should probably do is only make actual carrier bays count for the threshold and ignore warship bays altogether for the threshold calculation. Your fleet description sounds like it would greatly surpass the threshold and drop the bonus to very little unless running a destroyer/frigate fleet.

So if I leave it at, say 25, and ignore warship bays, then that would account for 2 capital carriers with Converted Hangar installed or roughly 4-5 cruiser carriers at the full bonus. You could also fill in your fleet with half of the fleet consisting of light carriers and probably not surpass the threshold. Or of course you could use something like 1 Astral, 2 Heron, 1 Condor and 1 Vigilance for 25 total carrier bays.

Of course, warships wouldn't actually get the bonus either. I'll look into how hard that would be to do. I'll probably have to play around with the numbers to see what feels the best.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 125