Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 722262 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

are the raiding results always constant or can I just keep loading till i get it,also is it affected by the scavenging skill?

It is not affected by the skill - that only applies to generic salvage of supplies/fuel/metals etc.

Quote from Alex regarding raiding results:

Not really a modding question but someone asked about it on my mod thread:

Is raiding a market to get a blueprint seeded? So that save scumming doesn't give you the same results?
IIRC yes but the seed changes after... some time period. Now that I think about it, actually, it might've also been bugged and not actually seeded; if that's the case this is fixed for the next release.

So either it won't change between saves now or it's bugged and will but only for this version of Starsector. Either way, it would probably be better to spend time doing something else between each attempt or just come back and raid the market again without save scumming.

To my knowledge I know that the Malevolent bp has been found, and that's rarer than the Tyrant (this was after a full sector sweep, however). So it should be possible but likely it will take a lot of time/effort.

Because I get that RNG can be frustrating, I will eventually add quests for these things. I just don't want them to be easy to acquire.

If it gets too crazy to find, you can always give it to yourself with Console Commands.  :P

ClosedBoudy

• Ensign
    • View Profile

well I thought about giving it to myself plus removing like 500k to give myself abit of a setback but problem is I couldnt find the tyrant Blueprint ID, can you please mention it or at least tell me where it is located?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

well I thought about giving it to myself plus removing like 500k to give myself abit of a setback but problem is I couldnt find the tyrant Blueprint ID, can you please mention it or at least tell me where it is located?

Ahh, turns out that since it is not an explicitly defined blueprint and instead is created during blueprint salvage you cannot get it using AddItem. So use this command instead:

Code
RunCode Global.getSector().getPlayerFaction().getKnownShips().add("archean_tyrant");

I tested it out and that works just fine.

Gunfire007

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hey, I'm really enjoying this mod, and i've been trying out the different factions with it. Currently, I'm using the Consortium, and I've been having a game slow-down problem whenever the carrier uses its phase fighter ability or whatever, the one that makes the fighters more resilient to damage. I haven't had lag anywhere else besides this, and I was wondering if there's a way to disable just those effects, the purple/pink tint around the fighters when the ability is active. I'm not 100% sure if the effect itself is the problem, or the ability entirely, regardless, anything helps.

Thanks

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hey, I'm really enjoying this mod, and i've been trying out the different factions with it. Currently, I'm using the Consortium, and I've been having a game slow-down problem whenever the carrier uses its phase fighter ability or whatever, the one that makes the fighters more resilient to damage. I haven't had lag anywhere else besides this, and I was wondering if there's a way to disable just those effects, the purple/pink tint around the fighters when the ability is active. I'm not 100% sure if the effect itself is the problem, or the ability entirely, regardless, anything helps.

Thanks

Hmm I'll have to take a look at the code and see if anything stands out. Not sure why it would cause slowdown that drastically other than a lot of the effects being on screen. Out of curiosity, did you encounter slowdown when you deployed a bunch of wings that phase in and out - like the spectre?

It could be something unique to how the system's glow works though. I'll see what I can find out about it.

Gunfire007

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hmm I'll have to take a look at the code and see if anything stands out. Not sure why it would cause slowdown that drastically other than a lot of the effects being on screen. Out of curiosity, did you encounter slowdown when you deployed a bunch of wings that phase in and out - like the spectre?

It could be something unique to how the system's glow works though. I'll see what I can find out about it.

Currently my fighter force consists of majority Banshees and Broadswords, I may have 1 spectre in there somewhere. Even in something like the simulator the moment i activate the ability with the malevolence class, there is a definite performance hit, and the game does slow down. i can have fairly large battle with little to no slowdown, but as soon as that ability goes off, it tanks pretty hard for as long as it's active.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Currently my fighter force consists of majority Banshees and Broadswords, I may have 1 spectre in there somewhere. Even in something like the simulator the moment i activate the ability with the malevolence class, there is a definite performance hit, and the game does slow down. i can have fairly large battle with little to no slowdown, but as soon as that ability goes off, it tanks pretty hard for as long as it's active.

Ok, thanks! That helps. I'll try and troubleshoot tomorrow. It must be specific to that system, then. Hopefully looking at the code will tell me more about what could be going wrong or otherwise cause this.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ok, thanks! That helps. I'll try and troubleshoot tomorrow. It must be specific to that system, then. Hopefully looking at the code will tell me more about what could be going wrong or otherwise cause this.

I *think* I understand what is going on, but part of your description differs from what I am seeing when testing this. The script iterates through every combat ship upon activation and deactivation looking for fighters to apply/unapply the effect. It works the same way for the Targeting Feed ship system and I definitely do notice similar performance drops when replacing the Phase Shell system with that one.

That you are experiencing drops in performance for the whole duration is a little weird, though, so maybe there is more to it. I only noticed spikes during activation and deactivation - and it wasn't enough to cause a huge slowdown during a max battle (default battle size settings in the simulator). The lowest it got was 4% cpu remaining and that was deploying 50% of the DP with Herons and Vigilance-class light carriers (who also have Targeting Feed currently and now from this test likely won't in the near future. :) ) and it stayed around 40% using the Phase Shell system and "idled" at 60% during the rest of the battle.

I didn't notice any drops in FPS at all in any of the tests. It was always 60 iirc. *Maybe* one spike to 30 very briefly in the vigilance test but I'm not 100% sure because I was paying more attention to cpu % since that was being affected way more.

In your version, I think the Executor may still have Targeting Feed as its ship system so that could be a test to see if there is something different between the two for you. It could potentially be the visual effect's color blending with the red glow engines of the banshees causing stress to the gpu or something, but my experience with such things is very close to 0.

System specs will matter, of course, but one thing to try would be to update your graphics card drivers in case the issue lies there. Another thing that would help me troubleshoot- are you having drops in cpu or fps? (Putting Starsector in dev mode lets you view this during a battle at the bottom of the screen)

TeSparg

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Got another misaligned pair of weapons on:

On the Onslaught XIV and original the second row of small ballistics slots from the bottom-up.
On the Eagle XIV and original (I also suspect that the Eagle (SCI) has the same problem) the first small hybrid slots from the top-down. (not the medium ones)

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Got another misaligned pair of weapons on:

On the Onslaught XIV and original the second row of small ballistics slots from the bottom-up.
On the Eagle XIV and original (I also suspect that the Eagle (SCI) has the same problem) the first small hybrid slots from the top-down. (not the medium ones)

Thanks! Fixed on all accounts hopefully - though the Eagle ones were less a clear case than the Onslaught. I *think* I got what you meant though and moved it back a pixel. In that vein I also moved the rear weapons back a pixel to be more center on the mount's central circular portion.

I_Am_Dean

• Ensign
  • Nooob
    • View Profile

So when you have AO and Commissioned Crews on, if you choose to spawn in as part of one of the AO factions (in my example the trader guild) the game will crash and say.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Hullmod CHM_trader_guilds not found!

Any fix for that or do you just have to wait until your factions get their own buffs?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

So when you have AO and Commissioned Crews on, if you choose to spawn in as part of one of the AO factions (in my example the trader guild) the game will crash and say.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Hullmod CHM_trader_guilds not found!

Any fix for that or do you just have to wait until your factions get their own buffs?

Hi I'm back from a small break! Needed to camp for a bit and get away from technology. Ready to get back to it! First, welcome to the forums!  :)

Regarding your concern: Yes this was a notable oversight from the last update that was supposed to build the foundation for some cool things I'm putting into the new update that hasn't come out yet. Since the new update still has some work that needs to be done and this issue has come up several times now (I'm actually trimming some of the update goals to get it out faster because it was more work than anticipated and admittedly I've been experimenting with several concepts which takes time and testing to ensure actual quality) I'll try and get a fix for this into the current version because it's not great to have crashes and I've also been in the mindset that the update wouldn't take this long. Hopefully this fix won't break other things (always my concern with editing existing updates) but I'll try and test a bit to prevent this if I can!

I'll update here when that fix is downloaded-able.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You should now be able to re-download this version to prevent the crash for Commissioned Crews - though note that the hullmods provided for each of the Archean Order mod's factions will only grant 20% additional hull instead of the intended effects in the next coming update. Sorry I didn't do this sooner, I got too distracted with other code in the mod and wanted to stop mini-updating so the time frame to fix was longer than originally intended.

Let me know if anything else goes awry from this and I'll provide further fixes until the next update is live.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile

What role is the Tyrant supposed to fill?

I just reloaded a fleet battle between AC and Tri-Tach 3 times to test balance.  Each time, it was an hour long stalemate.  (I didn't actually run it to completion of all reinforcement waves on the 2nd and 3rd attempt.)  The Tyrants would prance around and eventually one of them would flank the Tri Tach fleet and kill some epiphanies.  They were useless against capitals or even most cruisers because they would jump obscenely far away after sending a single salvo.

Their 4000 armor makes them virtually immune to fighters and most long-ranged guidance missiles--the only kind that could be reasonably expected to hit them outside of player control.  The Tri-Tach Paragon was almost never able to connect with the Tach Lance and they would just immediately phase regardless.  Massed fighters from the Astral were fairly useless between the 4k armor, the phasing, and the jumping.

25+ minutes into 2 of the 3 fights, the AC managed to have reinforcements kill one of the Astral or Paragon after they were at 0 CR for an extended period of time.  None of the Tyrants died.  They all retreated safely after my Revenant chased them.  My Revenant was also unharmed and never seriously threatened because Tyrants would behave like Wolves and jump away almost immediately.

I made some changes to reduce the jump range from 3,500 to 2,000 and the Tyrant's hull by half.  It was still quite durable because of the 4k armor, and would only be killed without retreating when overwhelmed.  They were also able to damage my Revenant's hull some in 1 on 1 because of flux pressure from the increased engagement ratio caused by the reduced jump.

If you really did want a battleship to fill a flanking role, my suggestion would be to greatly reduce their peak CR time.  They currently jump far enough away not to experience decay a fair portion of the time (which is also why my chasing Revenant was able to stay active for so long), so I'd suggest reducing it by at least half.  This would allow them to nom all the Epiphanies, but not draw battles out unnecessarily.

Of course, I've also probably just made Radiants both simultaneously easier to kill and more deadly, but I'd view that as a plus, too.

Sic Semper Tyrannis!  Nerf them or make them great again, but please don't leave them like they are.

On the issue of BPs, I found both Tyrant and Malevolent in my AC game last version.  I can tell you with great certainty that the critical BP isn't a ship hull at all.  It's the Hivemind Orb Launcher BP.  Once you find that beauty, you can probably field a fleet of literally nothing but 30 Apogees and... do anything.  The only other thing you need is a good book.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

What role is the Tyrant supposed to fill?

The Tyrant is difficult to balance for now, but I do like the idea of reducing the jump range (maybe a separate system for both the Tyrant and Radiant but I'll see if it's necessary) and maybe a bit of CR reduction, but it's supposed to be scary to the player as an endgame threat and many of the attributes are assigned with the AI in mind.

In that respect, it fits the job well in this current release. But the point is for it to be hard to pin down and be able to dish out extremely strong strikes when unphased, not extremely annoying to engage because it can't be caught.

The reason I gave it its system was to improve the AI's use for it, since, as you have seen by all the stalling battles, the AI for phase ships is too timid in this current release of Starsector. From the twitter posts I've seen, this is being addressed in the next release and that will allow me to do more with it. For now, reducing the jump range might at least help the situation.

On the issue of BPs, I found both Tyrant and Malevolent in my AC game last version.  I can tell you with great certainty that the critical BP isn't a ship hull at all.  It's the Hivemind Orb Launcher BP.  Once you find that beauty, you can probably field a fleet of literally nothing but 30 Apogees and... do anything.  The only other thing you need is a good book.

Yes that weapon is quite strong I definitely agree. Perhaps it's even too strong when massed and maybe it needs higher flux cost per salvo to make it "capital only", but I'm hesitant to make it too weak to PD because that is kind of its niche as a Legendary weapon. It is supposed to be *mostly* uncounterable to smaller ships, whereas something like the Devastator is an upfront anti-capital weapon that frigates can at least try and dodge a bit.

*EDIT* Didn't catch it when replying, but welcome to the forums! And thank you for your feedback. :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:51:43 PM by Morrokain »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 125