Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 722283 times)

MaysaChan

• Ensign
  • Mod collector & rookie anime artist
    • View Profile

Ah thank you very much!!!! Now everything work perfectly fine except Tiandong Heavy Industries which said to be incompatible so it is fine AND portrait pack

none of them work anymore :-\

Any solution tho?

Tiandong Heavy Industries does this purposely through a check for me as the mod author in the mod plugin. I think that may change in the next update for that mod, but I'm unsure. It was from back when Archean Order was less compatible and caused issues for faction mods. There was also an embarrassingly long amount of time the mod wasn't flagged as a TC because I forgot to re-add the flag after testing out some feature mods and by the time it was caught I wasn't working on the mod at the time. That *shouldn't* happen anymore but I wouldn't blame MesoTronik if he kept the check in there just in case.

Ah, I forgot that locking vanilla faction files would affect portrait addition mods. Darn it. I'll see about potentially removing that behavior. (I actually can't remember why that was necessary but I think it was for some reason. We'll see.) Several portrait packs have already been merged, however, and they can be found on the main mod page under Credits with a link to the portrait pack mod so that you can see examples. Still, I'd like to allow additions to those if at all possible. I think it had something to do with stations, though, so no promises there, sorry. :(
I see, well, thank you very much once again for keep a track of my dumb problem with compatibility and solved most of my problem ;D Keep up an awesome work with this amazing mod!!

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

I see, well, thank you very much once again for keep a track of my dumb problem with compatibility and solved most of my problem ;D Keep up an awesome work with this amazing mod!!

Thanks! Will do! (Also not dumb at all, compatibility can be super tricky :) )

Supplius Maximus

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hey, I tried out a game with the test version. It worked pretty well, no visible issues, apart from Prism Freeport having less ships than usual and only having a single blueprint to buy. I didn't play very long, about half an hour to test out the waters and see if the factions worked correctly and everything seemed fine. This was my mod order:

"Another Portrait Pack -ReWork-",
  "anvil_industries",
  "ApproLight",
  "ApproLightPlus",
  "archeus",
  "raccoonarms",
  "NeutrinoDetector",
  "blackrock_driveyards",
  "sd_boardable_unboardables_vanilla",
  "efficientPop",
  "CWSP",
  "CaptainsLog",
  "Celestial Mount Circle",
  "CombatAnalytics",
  "chatter",
  "lw_radar",
  "communist_clouds",
  "COPS",
  "lw_console",
  "istl_dam",
  "diableavionics",
  "DisassembleReassemble",
  "edshipyard",
  "XLU",
  "flagsforfounders",
  "sun_flux_reticle",
  "fortheemperor",
  "foundation",
  "FDS",
  "GKSec",
  "gates_awakened",
  "gladiatorsociety",
  "ZGrand Sector",
  "GMDA",
  "HHE",
  "HMI",
  "hullmod_expansion",
  "hullmod_specialization",
  "nbj_ice",
  "deconomics",
  "interestingportraitspack",
  "Imperium",
  "kadur_remnant",
  "kiprad",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "ArkLeg",
  "logisticsNotifications",
  "LorePortraits",
  "luddenhance",
  "MSV",
  "MagicLib",
  "Mayasuran Navy",
  "metelson_release",
  "missingships",
  "mobile_star_fortress",
  "Neutrino",
  "sun_new_beginnings",
  "nexerelin",
  "ORA",
  "pearson_exotronics",
  "playerflagpack",
  "portrait",
  "SCY",
  "RC_Second_Wave_Options",
  "secretsofthefrontieralt",
  "SEEKER",
  "shabro",
  "shadow_ships",
  "swp",
  "bonomel_skilledup",
  "solsystem",
  "speedUp",
  "StopGapMeasures",
  "Sylphon_RnD",
  "tahlan",
  "Terraforming and Station Construction",
  "mayorate",
  "transfer_all_items",
  "TS_Coalition",
  "underworld",
  "US",
  "ungp",
  "vayrasector",
  "vayrashippack",
  "vesperon",
  "wotani_federation",
  "yrxp",
  "audio_plus",
  "shaderLib",
  "Safety Override mod"

The only mod that gave me problems was Commission Hullmods, since it crashed every time time I docked with a planet. Something about the Commission Hullmod of the Archean faction being missing.

The only real problem I have are the portraits. Is there any way to not have them override vanilla portraits? I have a bunch of portraits that I put in myself and I can't use them with Archean Order.

Anyway, apart from that, everything seems great.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hey, I tried out a game with the test version. It worked pretty well, no visible issues, apart from Prism Freeport having less ships than usual and only having a single blueprint to buy. I didn't play very long, about half an hour to test out the waters and see if the factions worked correctly and everything seemed fine.

*snip*

The only mod that gave me problems was Commission Hullmods, since it crashed every time time I docked with a planet. Something about the Commission Hullmod of the Archean faction being missing.

The only real problem I have are the portraits. Is there any way to not have them override vanilla portraits? I have a bunch of portraits that I put in myself and I can't use them with Archean Order.

Anyway, apart from that, everything seems great.
Thanks for testing things out!

Doh! I totally forgot I set that up for the Commissioned Crews and then couldn't think of any good bonuses to give them. So I never actually made the hullmods and moved on to other things meaning to go back to it later, haha. Thanks for reporting it I'll try and get a fix for that out soon! Maybe even today.

I'll also see about the portraits issue, but I think there was a good reason for this. I may be able to get around it though. There were a couple things I didn't think I could get around that it turned out I could using code rather than the default implementation with the game. That one may take some time depending upon how complex the code will be. I'm fairly overcommitted with Fleet Dialogue as it is atm.

The other thing I have to keep in mind is that if another mod adds ships/variants to vanilla factions (unlocking faction files unlocks all aspects of the faction for merging) then it could completely unbalance Nex campaigns (since those won't be TC balanced obviously). In general this wouldn't be a big deal since mod factions as a whole would operate the same way. The difference here is that it wouldn't be obvious to inexperienced players why that would be happening for vanilla factions. It might also make pirate raids significantly harder to stop because they will use higher tier stations than intended. Idk, I'll definitely give this some serious thought and see what I can do about it. I want to open up the mod as much as possible, but I also want to ensure a quality TC experience even when mod mixing.

In the meantime while I attempt to find a solution, you can always add your custom portraits/remove any you don't care for through the mod's faction files manually. Since you've already added your own I assume you know how to do this, but if you don't/need a reminder let me know.

-----**EDIT**-----

Ah yeah I took a look at the faction files and it just can't be done- at least for now. :(

Since I don't override vanilla ships, fighters or weapons anymore, if I don't explicitly remove them from the faction files by overriding them they will merge even in the stand alone TC. This means that a player can get vanilla ships and weapons from raiding and they might even show up in markets. So even assuming a new player understands the risks of mod merging they would still have to put up with a lot of "useless" (from the perspective of TC balance) stuff bloating markets and loot.

If in the future the faction definitions for weapons/fighters/etc get a weight modifier like hulls and stations (so I can thereby set it to 0), then I can prevent vanilla items from spawning in the TC without overriding the entire file. I'll suggest this to Alex and see what he thinks. Maybe there is way I can do this already and I'm just not aware of it.

If not, the best I could likely do would be to modulize the portraits by adding them to dummy factions and then writing code to "merge" the portraits into vanilla factions when the module is present. Then I can take portrait pack requests and add them as players request them. This would also give more customization options for portrait styles. (Again this will likely take some time to set up.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 12:10:39 PM by Morrokain »

Supplius Maximus

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Your modular portrait idea sounds good, but focus on the stuff you find more important. I can handle putting in some portraits. It's mostly a copy/paste job anyway. Anyway, I'll try and do a full game, and see if anything out of the ordinary happens.

Regarding Commissioned Hullmods bonuses, may I make some suggestions?:

Adamantine Consortium: Bonus to raiding, bonus to marine efficacy (if at all possible to code in) or bonus to fleet speed, either in combat or campaign (since they're meant to be hit-and-run spooky slavers as far as I can see).

Archean Order: Bonuses to energy weapons. You could have different versions for either damage, fire rate or range.

Sci-fi Corps: Bonuses for looting ruins and abandoned stations and bonuses to survey planets. Maybe some bonuses for repairing ships.

Trader Guild: MONEY! MONEY! MONEY! GIMME THE MONEY! MONEY! MONEY! Bonuses to selling and buying stuff (if possible to code in), if not feasible, bonuses to looting debris and battles or bonuses to cargo space.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Regarding Commissioned Hullmods bonuses, may I make some suggestions?:

Adamantine Consortium: Bonus to raiding, bonus to marine efficacy (if at all possible to code in) or bonus to fleet speed, either in combat or campaign (since they're meant to be hit-and-run spooky slavers as far as I can see).

Archean Order: Bonuses to energy weapons. You could have different versions for either damage, fire rate or range.

Sci-fi Corps: Bonuses for looting ruins and abandoned stations and bonuses to survey planets. Maybe some bonuses for repairing ships.

Trader Guild: MONEY! MONEY! MONEY! GIMME THE MONEY! MONEY! MONEY! Bonuses to selling and buying stuff (if possible to code in), if not feasible, bonuses to looting debris and battles or bonuses to cargo space.

Some good suggestions here. I'll see what's available API wise and try to make cuts based on balance from there and also take into account what's already been done, if possible. I don't want these to be too powerful but still attractive enough to warrant the commission thematically if that makes sense.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I gave this some thought and did some research... and well... I'm going to try my best to bring something really cool out of Commissioned Crews features. Details tbd based upon what I can get to work based off my plan. I really want to try and make these thematic and lore-based if possible and mostly unique to other implementations.

The big unknowns are my plans for Adamantine Consortium and Archean Order. Trader Guilds will probably be financial in nature as was suggested, and Sci-Corps I'm trying to throw around ideas in my mind and a lot will depend upon if I can get the planned implementation of the first two to work. It is a little ambitious but it will pay dividends in the flavor department if I can pull it off. :)

Also I've been making some balance changes and want to continue that front for a tiny bit before a release so it will likely be ~ a week, maybe less depending upon how easy/hard things end up being. Just a tiny update on progress.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This is taking longer than I thought it would but I have the first (and probably hardest) Commissioned Crews hullmod for Archean Order mostly working. There is still some nuance and flavor to add though. Sorry for the delay. This hullmod may seem really strong and I have more I want to do with it, but this is a flagship-only hullmod. The rest of your fleet won't get it and it will require the player to pilot an Adamantine Consortium vessel. It's not finalized, but here's the tooltip to show what it does:

Spoiler

[close]

th3boodlebot

• Commander
    • View Profile

This is taking longer than I thought it would but I have the first (and probably hardest) Commissioned Crews hullmod for Archean Order mostly working. There is still some nuance and flavor to add though. Sorry for the delay. This hullmod may seem really strong and I have more I want to do with it, but this is a flagship-only hullmod. The rest of your fleet won't get it and it will require the player to pilot an Adamantine Consortium vessel. It's not finalized, but here's the tooltip to show what it does:

Spoiler

[close]

i know essentially nothin about modding, however, i recall there being ship systems that have an area of effect that changes certain parameters of enemy ships. perhaps something similar that targets ship malfunction chance? is ship malfunction chance tied specifically to combat readiness (with the exception of perhaps emp damage)? maybe a work around would be a constant emp effect around the flagship in the picture. the "mental energy" could be emp and flagged as fragmentation so that the shields and armor could (as far as your idea goes it would make sense for the dense matter in the way to mitigate the effect) mitigate the emp effect. i have no idea what numbers to go with really but i like the idea youre running with and i think it suits the adamantium consortion well

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

i know essentially nothin about modding, however, i recall there being ship systems that have an area of effect that changes certain parameters of enemy ships. perhaps something similar that targets ship malfunction chance? is ship malfunction chance tied specifically to combat readiness (with the exception of perhaps emp damage)? maybe a work around would be a constant emp effect around the flagship in the picture. the "mental energy" could be emp and flagged as fragmentation so that the shields and armor could (as far as your idea goes it would make sense for the dense matter in the way to mitigate the effect) mitigate the emp effect. i have no idea what numbers to go with really but i like the idea youre running with and i think it suits the adamantium consortion well

Thanks for the suggestion and I'm glad you like the idea. :)

I actually have the behavior working already and I like it. It is essentially an area of effect application of the same behavior that "Ill-Advised Modifications" causes. So there is a base chance for a weapon to malfunction on any enemies within a range of 1500 around the flagship. When something malfunctions there is a chance it will be a critical malfunction- which can be read as crew weeping uncontrollably in a maintenance shaft somewhere or otherwise refusing direct orders to return to battle stations - which means the weapon is permanently disabled.

The things I still have to do are:

1) Make the radius and strength scale a bit- probably by player level and reputation. I like the idea of the player visibly seeing their power grow in that sense. So numbers aren't finalized yet.

2) Code a check in the faction file to allow other modders to either reduce or completely negate the impact of the effect. AI factions can use this to be immune. This also makes sense for hardier factions who wouldn't balk at that sort of thing.

3) Decide if I want to have a custom graphic of some kind and make that happen.

4) Code text popups of effected ships for some flavor. Things like "Nooo! Not like like this! Not like this!!" or "AHHH!" for when the effect is working and things like "Steady men... steady..." OR "I'm not afraid of you, demon!" when it doesn't. Stuff like that.

th3boodlebot

• Commander
    • View Profile

Thanks for the suggestion and I'm glad you like the idea. :)

I actually have the behavior working already and I like it. It is essentially an area of effect application of the same behavior that "Ill-Advised Modifications" causes. So there is a base chance for a weapon to malfunction on any enemies within a range of 1500 around the flagship. When something malfunctions there is a chance it will be a critical malfunction- which can be read as crew weeping uncontrollably in a maintenance shaft somewhere or otherwise refusing direct orders to return to battle stations - which means the weapon is permanently disabled.

The things I still have to do are:

1) Make the radius and strength scale a bit- probably by player level and reputation. I like the idea of the player visibly seeing their power grow in that sense. So numbers aren't finalized yet.

2) Code a check in the faction file to allow other modders to either reduce or completely negate the impact of the effect. AI factions can use this to be immune. This also makes sense for hardier factions who wouldn't balk at that sort of thing.

3) Decide if I want to have a custom graphic of some kind and make that happen.

4) Code text popups of effected ships for some flavor. Things like "Nooo! Not like like this! Not like this!!" or "AHHH!" for when the effect is working and things like "Steady men... steady..." OR "I'm not afraid of you, demon!" when it doesn't. Stuff like that.

yea really cool and the messages popping up would be great! also the idea of the player having the ability sounds fun
perhaps something similar could be done with another faction where they are psi warriors or something, like the angel to the consortiums demon

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

yea really cool and the messages popping up would be great! also the idea of the player having the ability sounds fun
perhaps something similar could be done with another faction where they are psi warriors or something, like the angel to the consortiums demon

Thanks!

The Archean Order (the faction) sort of acts as a counter-part through their "phase walkers", but initially the faction is forced to be reluctant - well not allies but more of a ceasefire accord - with the Adamantine Consortium as a necessity to wage their war on the Tri-Tachyon Corporation. So they aren't Sith but they aren't Jedi either. Rather they are a kind of combination of the two extremes.

It is set up that way to drive the eventual narrative for the mod (a long ways off most likely as writing takes an extremely long amount of time and I also have to implement the events, missions, etc to go alongside it) and it intentionally creates ambiguity for the Archean Order. They believe in a prophecy of doom and act with determination to prevent it from happening. The dire consequences of failure creates hard choices that are a theme of the narrative. There are sub-factions/iconic characters planned within the Archean Order who do act in the way you describe (in that they loathe the Consortium and seek to break the accord) but they aren't really visible at the moment.

That being said, the primary antagonist to the Adamantine Consortium is the Corps of Science and Exploration. They aren't capable of using any special powers, however. They are just brave and battle-hardened people determined to fight against the Consortium's atrocities at all costs and generally seek to improve the sector's standard of living. You can kind of compare them to the rebel alliance or a very weakened version of Starfleet desperately trying to survive in a sector struggling to keep law and order (and also citizen freedoms) intact.

The Corps and the Archean Order don't exactly trust each other, but have enough in common to work together in some situations. I'm hoping this creates a diverse and nuanced backdrop to create a really good story when the time comes.

th3boodlebot

• Commander
    • View Profile

Thanks!

The Archean Order (the faction) sort of acts as a counter-part through their "phase walkers", but initially the faction is forced to be reluctant - well not allies but more of a ceasefire accord - with the Adamantine Consortium as a necessity to wage their war on the Tri-Tachyon Corporation. So they aren't Sith but they aren't Jedi either. Rather they are a kind of combination of the two extremes.

It is set up that way to drive the eventual narrative for the mod (a long ways off most likely as writing takes an extremely long amount of time and I also have to implement the events, missions, etc to go alongside it) and it intentionally creates ambiguity for the Archean Order. They believe in a prophecy of doom and act with determination to prevent it from happening. The dire consequences of failure creates hard choices that are a theme of the narrative. There are sub-factions/iconic characters planned within the Archean Order who do act in the way you describe (in that they loathe the Consortium and seek to break the accord) but they aren't really visible at the moment.

That being said, the primary antagonist to the Adamantine Consortium is the Corps of Science and Exploration. They aren't capable of using any special powers, however. They are just brave and battle-hardened people determined to fight against the Consortium's atrocities at all costs and generally seek to improve the sector's standard of living. You can kind of compare them to the rebel alliance or a very weakened version of Starfleet desperately trying to survive in a sector struggling to keep law and order (and also citizen freedoms) intact.

The Corps and the Archean Order don't exactly trust each other, but have enough in common to work together in some situations. I'm hoping this creates a diverse and nuanced backdrop to create a really good story when the time comes.

i think thats great! well thought out and makes me personally like the archean order much more. interestingly enough i had an idea that the consortium and the order and all the factions could use a mission based system in the bars similar to delivering for the independents. i may be remembering incorrectly but it seems as though delivery contracts only raise independent relation status. it would be neat to have something similar tailored to the other factions. it could be as simple as having delivery contracts that you can find in a bar that would be linguistically representative of the faction they would raise relations with. other neat things like being able to buy commodities from luddic planets in the bar would be interesting, especially if it relates directly to that faction like the luddic ones seem to.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

i think thats great! well thought out and makes me personally like the archean order much more. interestingly enough i had an idea that the consortium and the order and all the factions could use a mission based system in the bars similar to delivering for the independents. i may be remembering incorrectly but it seems as though delivery contracts only raise independent relation status. it would be neat to have something similar tailored to the other factions. it could be as simple as having delivery contracts that you can find in a bar that would be linguistically representative of the faction they would raise relations with. other neat things like being able to buy commodities from luddic planets in the bar would be interesting, especially if it relates directly to that faction like the luddic ones seem to.

Oh yeah I definitely have plans to do stuff like that in the future! I also want a mission chain to be required to get a commission with Archean Order or Adamantine Consortium - maybe even Sci-Corps. Their tech is too powerful to mostly be available at "Favored" with very little caveats. There are some reasons I'm holding off on that for now, though.

1) The code for that is fairly new and could change. The mod is already a big project and compatibility updates for Vanilla releases take a long time as it is. So the less I have to change the better. The next Starsector release will probably give me confidence of the feature's overall stability - especially if it doesn't change - implying that Alex has tested it out and feels like it is sufficient enough.

2) Time concerns from existing work - (Commissioned Crews and Fleet Dialogue are fairly large endeavors and will take some time - more so on the side of Fleet Dialogue)

3) Other mod compatibility concerns or the desire to plug in to some more optional feature mods.  (Specifically I want to take a look at Starship Legends and Combat Chatter for thematic additions along those lines, if possible. There is also an incompatibility with Better Colonies I'd ideally like to solve.)

4) Finally, there is some more nuance I want to add to the factions if I can. Things like gender-ized post names and more specifically defined portraits/characters based on posts. The last one mostly just applies to the Adamantine Consortium as it looks a little weird seeing a vampire portrait as the lowest rank, for instance.

Elouen

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi. today i was playing my lvl 15 scientist,  i tried to look at my intel panel and it instantly crashed , pressing the shortcuts did nothing, litteraly.
Do someone know what to do?
Thanks again

i got:
Archean order 1.3.4e
lazylib 2.4f
Magiclib 0.29
Nexerelin 0.9.6d
ZZ graphic lib 1.4.1

here is my starsector log.
https://mega.nz/file/MsRjHCBQ#dN-PpK7wHwJpAQCoekfxsFzlarh8g5bL_Ser36wwTbc
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 125