Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 727446 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] TC: Archean Order: Star-Wars-Inspired Combat/RPG - Nex - Fixes 11/18
« Reply #495 on: November 24, 2019, 07:29:04 PM »

Haha yes its a very good ship and giving it that system improved the AI's use of it which was the actual design goal. Since it is harder to get than most capitals and REDACTED ships will be pilot-able in the next update anyway, I'm not worried about it being particularly unbalanced even though in the player hands it is an especially devastating vessel.

It is still pretty vulnerable to surrounds and massed bomber strikes though.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] TC: Archean Order: Star-Wars-Inspired Combat/RPG - Nex - Fixes 11/18
« Reply #496 on: November 25, 2019, 03:30:55 AM »

Only if they catch you with both your jumps AND cloak on cooldown...otherwise it's "OMAE WA...MO SHINDEIRU..."

"NANI!?"  Boom.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 27, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »

The Heavy Hunter Launcher doesn't have it's Volly data included.
----
Love the new innate hullmods. Different low-flux stats, and different speeds (for carriers)
How exactly does Lockdown Protocol work? I've seen derelicts of these ship types, so is it just not 100% reliable, despite implying such?
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 27, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »

The Heavy Hunter Launcher doesn't have it's Volly data included.
----
Love the new innate hullmods. Different low-flux stats, and different speeds (for carriers)
How exactly does Lockdown Protocol work? I've seen derelicts of these ship types, so is it just not 100% reliable, despite implying such?

Thanks! Fixed the Heavy Hunter's tooltip, I forgot to add the string portion that populates the salvo and capacity values.

*EDIT* Oh also I added the fix to the download link for Archean Order TC v1.3.4d so you can redownload and replace the weapon_data.csv file and the flux stats should show up.

Yeah the frigate built ins feel especially good. Very happy with how that turned out. They seem to actually have a bigger role in combat other than interdiction vessels when running down fleeing enemy fleets. Now they make decent support ships.

A while ago when the mod first came out. Thaago was kind enough to give some feedback on the feel of frigate vs frigate combat, and the final result was somewhere in the "slow and boring" range partly due to high defense stats vs weapons and partly due to a lack of weapon variety. I'm hoping with all the added weaponry that I have managed to shore that up a bit with this update especially.

As far as Lockdown Protocol is concerned, I spoke to Alex and there is no easy way to remove derelicts or the ability to recover ships in debris fields right now. That may change in the next Starsector update, but for now yeah it makes the description a little misleading. It just means you can't recover those hulls after combat unless you, as the player, own the ship.

I may try making them all unrecoverable in general (like REDACTED) and then using the hullmod to make them recoverable after combat for the player only, but I'm not sure if I can get that to work or not.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:17:46 PM by Morrokain »

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 30, 2019, 10:59:58 PM »

Given that only the player can really recover ships in the first place I'm not sure if the lockdown protocol idea is really worth the trouble...it seems like it's basically just a way to deny the player certain ships after battle but since we're probably not looking TOO closely at the hullmods on enemy ships before a fight it's probably going to feel just like rolling badly on the RNG.

If I may ask, what's the real design goal of lockdown protocol?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 01, 2019, 01:01:11 AM »

If I may ask, what's the real design goal of lockdown protocol?

You may always ask/debate. Feedback helps the mod get better.  :)

Its a trial run of a slew of design intentions with this overall goal: Make faction commissions very unique and create more replay-ability along those sorts of lines.

There is already replay-ability each playthrough simply with the proc gen, but for the most part you can get access to the ships you want without much consideration into choosing to ally with a faction or not. Allying with a faction is more about credits. That is because you can harvest ships off enemy fleets or wait for npc campaign skirmishes to salvage whats left behind in the wreckage. Its mostly up to RNG. Similarly, blueprints come down to salvage RNG and raiding for what you are unlucky enough to not find.

I had desired to lock out or reduce that RNG in the case of ships (already made tiers of blueprint rarity that makes high end blueprints more rare), while opening up the accessibility of ships when getting commissioned by a faction through blueprint packages rewarded at the time of commission.

To me, this makes the choice of which faction, if any, to ally with more interesting. What is your goal this playthrough? Advanced and powerful ships and weapons? Tri-Tachyon, Sci-Corps, Archean Order or Adamantine Consortium are good choices and each specialize in something different with their own flavor, motivations and political implications.

Money and salvage boosts more your style? Pirates and Trader Guilds will make strong choices for that. (Not yet implemented)

Political influence or otherwise throwing your weight around to get faction aid appealing? Hegemony or Luddic Church gives those kinds of perks (Not yet implemented) alongside access to their custom ships and weapons that have their own strengths/drawbacks.

So, to summarize:

The intent was to further emphasize and make more interesting the choice of faction alignment. Since it is half-baked at the moment, and the derelict complication is probably not worth the effort for now while I work on more lore-related things, I'll likely remove it until I can get more pieces of the puzzle working.

Right now, it admittedly feels a little more punishing than anticipated since the flavor of faction choice is only halfway implemented and certain features that are designed to hook into those perks aren't developed yet.

Eliteempire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 01, 2019, 12:37:43 PM »

If ya ain't having a single end game ship fighting entire fleets with 1 colony system fully stocked are ya really winning?

Also uh question does the AI in this with Nexerelin actually expand too newly found worlds yet or nah?

And will there be a way of removing the lockdown parts in the future? I'm a fan of mixing my ships so ya have the best of each world but that takes along time with my terrible play style as is.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 01, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »

If ya ain't having a single end game ship fighting entire fleets with 1 colony system fully stocked are ya really winning?

Also uh question does the AI in this with Nexerelin actually expand too newly found worlds yet or nah?

And will there be a way of removing the lockdown parts in the future? I'm a fan of mixing my ships so ya have the best of each world but that takes along time with my terrible play style as is.

The AI should expand as long as I have the settings right.

I am changing lockdown protocol to only reduce the chance of recovery over low tech and midline rather than outright prevent it. I'd say maybe 10-20% less likely. Would that feel better?

That feature will ideally feel more in place at a higher reduction once other things have been included to offset the reduced RNG accessibility of high tech vessels.

Eliteempire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 01, 2019, 07:05:05 PM »

The AI should expand as long as I have the settings right.

I am changing lockdown protocol to only reduce the chance of recovery over low tech and midline rather than outright prevent it. I'd say maybe 10-20% less likely. Would that feel better?

That feature will ideally feel more in place at a higher reduction once other things have been included to offset the reduced RNG accessibility of high tech vessels.

Ya thats fine, It makes actually picking them large fleets rewarding then and a reason too buy screener ships for me anyway. Thanks chief. And I'll keep running my game then seeing if they set up shop on new worlds. They have a strange thing of murdering entire planets/stations of orbital defenses and then.... never invading even with like just 3 guards planet-side.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - Nex - Fixes 11/18
« Reply #504 on: December 05, 2019, 07:11:39 PM »

It was recently pointed out to me that there might be confusion regarding the nature of this mod in that it could be perceived as another attempt at a Star Wars mod for Starsector. This was because of references to Star Wars in the mod subject title and features description. I have removed these references in order to avoid that confusion. I will also remove them from the Tactics Manual as I rewrite it to include all the combat changes. Thanks to all who took the time to post! I had a very healthy amount of community feedback that I think resulted in a much better mod.

So basically I just wanted to clarify: I'm not saying I don't love Star Wars because I do! -but Archean Order is not a Star Wars mod.

Though some ships and weapons are certainly inspired by Star Wars, they take inspiration from multiple sources in their creation like any good world building. :)

This is also true for faction lore. I have made my own unique stories tied into the lore of Starsector. Much of the lore in the Mordreath system, as an example, is inspired from about 20 different things that range in sources from television and movies to books and historical events.

So, to summarize, if you saw this mod and thought it was "just another Star Wars mod" then maybe this will inspire you to take a second look.

Just wanted to clear that up, thanks for reading! ;)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 05, 2019, 08:25:21 PM »

I thought the star wars INSPIRED made that clear enough.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

kencko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 07, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »

Hey I'm new to mods for this game and compatability, is the Galactic Order compatible. Problem is the faction isn't using its custom shipset

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 07, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »

Hey I'm new to mods for this game and compatability, is the Galactic Order compatible. Problem is the faction isn't using its custom shipset

Hmm, not 100% sure. I can't think of anything offhand that would cause that to happen. It would likely use its own faction file to do that I'd imagine. Nothing I've done should override that to my knowledge.

That being said, this mod is still a TC so it could be possible that I have and I didn't realize.

kencko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 07, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »

thanks for the reply

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 07, 2019, 02:06:15 PM »

No problem, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 125