Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 722452 times)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile

Yea, I check the front page to see if it updated, the second post. But turns out your beta updates don't get added there.

Beams. Makes sense. That works.
Don't touch the DPS indicator. Still confused as to why the math doesn't make that a continuous beam. Doesn't it have a 6 second duration and a 6 second cooldown?

Edit: Just updated to latest version, 1.4.0.2, and the Carrier bays tooltip says "The speed boost at low flux is reduced to null" while still having the Limited combat thrusters saying 40 out of 80 flux bonus.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 06:06:01 PM by Ranakastrasz »
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Albreo

• Commander
  • A! Oh nyo!
    • View Profile

Shaking? I'll have to test that more I didn't notice it at the time. As in the ship itself shakes?

To be specific, the arrow in the overview screen shook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-6YC_s6_c

Megalith with carrier AI is a bit shy and hard to control. I got a headache when order it to attack something and the icon show fighter strikes instead.

I kind of want a ship with a longer scan range than a normal capital ship maybe the Odyssey/Apogee could stattisfy that or a brand new utility ship to crave my urge.

On an unrelated note.
Spoiler

I'm scared.

Who built a gate here?
[close]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:31:48 AM by Albreo »

Damienov

• Ensign
    • View Profile

@Albreo I'm more surprized how/why your cursor is upside down  ;D

Albreo

• Commander
  • A! Oh nyo!
    • View Profile

@Albreo I'm more surprized how/why your cursor is upside down  ;D

Coincidently, I don't know why my OBS recorded the game upside down, so I have to flip it.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

Yea, I check the front page to see if it updated, the second post. But turns out your beta updates don't get added there.
Yeah the updates are shown on Nexus Mods and I typically also update the subject of the mod thread with the date of it updating. I don't always do that though sometimes it just requires checking the thread. After it leaves Beta I'll see about hooking it up with version checker or something.

Beams. Makes sense. That works.
Don't touch the DPS indicator. Still confused as to why the math doesn't make that a continuous beam. Doesn't it have a 6 second duration and a 6 second cooldown?
0.1 chargeup, 0.6 burst duration, 0.1 chargedown, 5.2 cooldown.

Edit: Just updated to latest version, 1.4.0.2, and the Carrier bays tooltip says "The speed boost at low flux is reduced to null" while still having the Limited combat thrusters saying 40 out of 80 flux bonus.
Thanks fixed that up for the next update.

To be specific, the arrow in the overview screen shook.

Megalith with carrier AI is a bit shy and hard to control. I got a headache when order it to attack something and the icon show fighter strikes instead.

I kind of want a ship with a longer scan range than a normal capital ship maybe the Odyssey/Apogee could stattisfy that or a brand new utility ship to crave my urge.
It is possible that its because I stop all momentum on the ship. I'll see if I can get rid of it. The mechanic is important though to keep the beam from being very OP.

I suppose I can change the Megalith back to a warship for the AI. I don't *think* that will effect anything that much.

On an unrelated note.

I'm scared.

Who built a gate here?

Haha a binary neutron star?! That's nuts.  ;D

ketakermit

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I wanted to bring attention to this possible bug/issue. I'm uncertain if it is the fault of this mod as I have a couple running at once, but I have noticed that if I am carrying contraband (AI cores) and get stopped and searched, they never find anything. Is this intentional? Apologies, and thank you kindly for the amazing Mod.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I wanted to bring attention to this possible bug/issue. I'm uncertain if it is the fault of this mod as I have a couple running at once, but I have noticed that if I am carrying contraband (AI cores) and get stopped and searched, they never find anything. Is this intentional? Apologies, and thank you kindly for the amazing Mod.

I'll have to double check rules, but I don't *think* I did anything with that portion or touch the script that handles the the results of scans.

ketakermit

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'll have to double check rules, but I don't *think* I did anything with that portion or touch the script that handles the the results of scans.

I just tried starsector with archean disabled to confirm my suspicions, and my contraband was indeed found and taken.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I just tried starsector with archean disabled to confirm my suspicions, and my contraband was indeed found and taken.

Ok I'll see what could potentially be causing it. Thanks for the report!

*EDIT*
What faction was this?

*EDIT 2*
Nvm I understand what is likely going on now.

It isn't a bug, its just that the cargo scan mechanic has a chance of finding contraband based upon the total cargo capacity in the player fleet. So if you have a large capacity and only a couple of cores, the likelihood of them being found is extremely small. I tried 15+ times in the mod and vanilla with 3 gamma cores and they were never found.

I used Console Commands to add enough cores to get close to my maximum capacity and they were found every time in both vanilla and the mod.

The mod increases the cargo capacity of ships by a bit, so what is likely occurring is that you just don't have enough cores for the scan to detect them because you have a high cargo capacity and they don't take up very much overall space.

When you ran vanilla to test, you probably chose a start that had a small fleet, so the odds of detection increased greatly - especially since starts don't include freighters iirc whereas the mod's faction starts always do.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:12:53 PM by Morrokain »

Albreo

• Commander
  • A! Oh nyo!
    • View Profile

Before I forget, Andamantine Consortium seems to be neutral toward REDACTED. I saw a raid and it excluded Andamantine Consortium from the hit list. Presumably, it shouldn't be that way.

Darrow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Would it be possible to rework strikecraft compatibility with ship types?

Just an idea, but would it make it more strategic and tactical that only certain ships could equip specific strikecraft.

ie;
Low-Tier ships = unable to use AI-Strikecraft

In addition, what are your thoughts on only allowing Carriers to use bomber/torpedo strikecraft to amplify the importance of having carriers in your fleet.
I find currently you can generally ignore/not use low-tier Carriers as generally your mid-line ships can compensate with their own carrier bays making low-tier/mid-tier carriers kinda void.

Albreo

• Commander
  • A! Oh nyo!
    • View Profile

Would it be possible to rework strikecraft compatibility with ship types?

Just an idea, but would it make it more strategic and tactical that only certain ships could equip specific strikecraft.

ie;
Low-Tier ships = unable to use AI-Strikecraft

In addition, what are your thoughts on only allowing Carriers to use bomber/torpedo strikecraft to amplify the importance of having carriers in your fleet.
I find currently you can generally ignore/not use low-tier Carriers as generally your mid-line ships can compensate with their own carrier bays making low-tier/mid-tier carriers kinda void.

If the low-tier ship can't equip anything better than low-iter strike craft, it will cause a very big balance issue. There will emerge a Meta build that we all want to avoid. If you don't use this ship then you can't fight the REDACTED or if you want to use a certain strike craft then you will have to get a specific ship that you don't like.

If you have a better balancing idea do share.

As for bombers right now there's a workaround in place, that is, all strike crafts, whether it will be interceptor, fighter, or bomber, the cost will be very expensive to deploy. Any other ship apart from a proper carrier will have a hangar bay mod that decreases the cost of both interceptor and fighter. So the cost to deploy interceptor and fighter in those will be mild and acceptable but not bomber. The bomber will stay expensive in this case. So apart from low-tech bombers, that's already cheap, to begin with, you will have to sacrifice OP to field a better one. So it becomes a choice that actually didn't bar you from the impossible. You can still do it if you want, weird build.

For carriers, The strike craft will remain expensive but those expensive strike craft actually priced very close to each other. So it doesn't matter if you choose interceptor, fighter, or bomber, in the same tech it will cost roughly the same. Carrier will have a weapon cost reduction instead so you can completely fill your slots with 0 cost weapons. And other benefits, in line with "carrier", such as longer craft range, faster craft relaunch, and bigger craft reserve. You can read about this in ship Hull mods.

As to answer your question, low-tier/mid-tier carriers (presumably the size of the ship?) you will be using it for fielding bombers/gunships mostly, or in the case of not enough interceptors to counter out the enemy force, you can get extra from here. I always have ready to deploy extra fighter-interceptor filled carriers to counter REDACTED.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:46:36 AM by Albreo »

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile

For the graviton beam.
I checked, looks like I was just really confused as to how beam damage was displayed normally. The issue here is probably that it just doesn't tell you how long the beam lasts, I think.

And yea, it is clearly a pulse beam.

Edit:
I just got an Alpha core to govern my colony, and it is a downgrade from governing myself. It appears to not have the elite varient of the three skills. Not sure if this is vanilla, modded, intended or not.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:53:01 PM by Ranakastrasz »
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Before I forget, Andamantine Consortium seems to be neutral toward REDACTED. I saw a raid and it excluded Andamantine Consortium from the hit list. Presumably, it shouldn't be that way.
Ah yeah oversight I'm not sure I handled REDACTED rep with any of the new factions. I'll take care of that.

@Darrow
Albreo already pretty much covered it, but its also technically impossible to limit strike craft from specific carriers. The hullmods/OP differences were the next best thing I could do. As far as low tech and midline carriers etc, they will be useful for two things:

- They can strike with bombers and gunships from a much longer range over warships with the same wings equipped.

- They replace strike craft much faster than warships (I'm emphasizing this a little more in the next update now that low tech wings replace a lot faster.)

In the case of midline carriers, they also usually have ship systems that even further increase the effectiveness of their wings, so I'd say that you can ignore them and use a purely warship fleet-build for your interceptors or even low-tech or midline bombers/gunships, but if you do use carriers you are certainly going to see a difference.

It is also worth mentioning that the range differences mean that interceptor carriers can actually support other allied ships (and I think the AI does do this if the carrier is pure interceptor) whereas warship interceptors are mostly limited to the warship. For reference, a carrier interceptor wing has 4x the range of a warship interceptor wing.

For the graviton beam.
I checked, looks like I was just really confused as to how beam damage was displayed normally. The issue here is probably that it just doesn't tell you how long the beam lasts, I think.

And yea, it is clearly a pulse beam.
Yeah I don't think the tooltip tells you duration at all. As to where it's getting its overall math from I have no idea. I would guess that maybe some faction of the dps is technically dealt during chargeup/chargedown but the targeted ship would have to be at point blank range for this to matter so it is likely misleading in that sense. Btw, I added beam/projectile speeds to all weapons last night so the next update should have that info in the tooltip.

I just got an Alpha core to govern my colony, and it is a downgrade from governing myself. It appears to not have the elite varient of the three skills. Not sure if this is vanilla, modded, intended or not.
I'd say that it's because the vanilla versions of those skills don't have elite versions, and so the cores aren't coded to have them be elite. It would probably be the same way with Admins, though it may be possible to use SP to make them elite - I never checked.

However, I'm generally ok with this because:

A) Not every playthrough will the player take all 3 elite colony skills and when they do it is supposed to impact how the player plays - which it looks like it definitely is here.  ;)

B) Alpha cores are still good to use on REDACTED ships the player controls should they take Automated Ships or on any colonies that the player cannot personally govern - with the expected downsides.

I was made aware of the fact that it is impossible to get the mod's version of the Ziggurat in the current version, so the next version addresses this and also makes it possible to recover the Legion (XIV) in the constellations that have them as derelicts.

The vanilla versions of these ships will no longer be available even if the player changes the mod's settings, but there is nothing I can do about that since for whatever reason the code that deals with this sort of thing hardcodes the encounters by hull id. That means the only way to change it to the mod version while preserving the vanilla ships would be to override and replace large swaths of both code and rules. That's not a road I want to go down unless absolutely necessary. Especially since this stuff is relatively new content and its very possible that it will change in some way within the next couple of Starsector updates.

ketakermit

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Ok I'll see what could potentially be causing it. Thanks for the report!

*EDIT*
What faction was this?

*EDIT 2*
Nvm I understand what is likely going on now.

It isn't a bug, its just that the cargo scan mechanic has a chance of finding contraband based upon the total cargo capacity in the player fleet. So if you have a large capacity and only a couple of cores, the likelihood of them being found is extremely small. I tried 15+ times in the mod and vanilla with 3 gamma cores and they were never found.

I used Console Commands to add enough cores to get close to my maximum capacity and they were found every time in both vanilla and the mod.

The mod increases the cargo capacity of ships by a bit, so what is likely occurring is that you just don't have enough cores for the scan to detect them because you have a high cargo capacity and they don't take up very much overall space.

When you ran vanilla to test, you probably chose a start that had a small fleet, so the odds of detection increased greatly - especially since starts don't include freighters iirc whereas the mod's faction starts always do.

I gotcha, i'm sorry mate i thought for sure it wasn't based on a percentage chance. I'm terribly sorry, and thanks for looking into it anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 125