Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Making Carriers Cool(er)  (Read 2469 times)

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Making Carriers Cool(er)
« on: August 18, 2017, 07:21:37 PM »

So, as I'm sure all of us know, carriers in real life utilize catapult systems to launch their aircraft with a fair amount of starting velocity, due to the fact that it looks really damn cool practical reasons about take-off distance and the like.

In comparison, our current SS fighters slowly leave their fighter bays as if theyre headed out for a midnight stroll on a Saturday. How much cooler would they be if they shot out from their decks like as if each pilot was going through a hidden Gundam launch sequence?

My suggestion is, as such, have two types of fighter bays:
1.) As it currently is, for Converted Hangars, converted ships like the Condor, and certain lower-tech or non-militarised ships like the Venture. Maybe certain side decks or non-catapult equipped decks on military carriers as well.
2.) Another type that launches fighters along a set pathway, at a certain velocity (maybe some function of mass of the fighter and a constant).

Of course, there would be little practical reason to do this in space, but hey, rule of cool, right?

Actually, as for a practical reason, why not add in a 3rd command on the fighter orders (after Engage and Regroup): Dock? This would allow damaged fighters to repair (which they currently cannot) as well as rearming and protecting the fighters from any incoming fire. Even under Regroup I notice my jets getting plinked off because they strayed too close to the front of my carrier or such.

This would also give the militarized catapult decks an actual use, as they could fully launch a squadron faster or perhaps get them into direct combat more quickly due to the launch velocity.

(Also, its cool. Really.)
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Making Carriers Cool(er)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 01:44:07 AM »

Actually, as for a practical reason, why not add in a 3rd command on the fighter orders (after Engage and Regroup): Dock? This would allow damaged fighters to repair (which they currently cannot) as well as rearming and protecting the fighters from any incoming fire. Even under Regroup I notice my jets getting plinked off because they strayed too close to the front of my carrier or such.

actually we HAVE an ability to recall fighters, but only if they are ability spawned drones and not actual lpc fighters. such unfairness.
afaik, there are no vanilla ships left that has drone-spawning ability. mods add some.
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:57:53 AM »

actually we HAVE an ability to recall fighters, but only if they are ability spawned drones and not actual lpc fighters. such unfairness.
afaik, there are no vanilla ships left that has drone-spawning ability. mods add some.

Starsector Trivia!
At present, the Prometheus (capital-sized Supertanker) is the only stock ship in the game that has retained a dedicated drone system, as opposed to built-in fighter bays.  8)

Spoiler

[close]

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »

Damnit I was about to post that after going through the codex.

I do agree some cool launch system might be a nice visual with fairly minor gameplay impact. And yes, a 3-stage fighter command with a dock order is desperately needed (if the easy predictable switch from regroup to engage needs to be preserved, making the switch to dock command holding the button down would do that).

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »

Could also replace the super-overpowered fighter recall of the Astral with a 'powered runways' ability that essentially uses those long frontal runways to catapult fighters quickly across the first X number of units.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »

Could also replace the super-overpowered fighter recall of the Astral with a 'powered runways' ability that essentially uses those long frontal runways to catapult fighters quickly across the first X number of units.

Astral needs it's relatively OP ship-system to be viable. It's slow, vulnerable and has no other significant advantages. I'd rather use 2 Moras or 2 Herons for same total of 6 wings instead of nerfed Astral.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »

Before Astral got Fighter Recall, it was a joke.  If Astral did not have Fighter Recall, Legion would be a much more attractive option, with four fighter wings and enough defense and firepower to brawl against another capital (though it might need help from it fighters to brawl against an enemy battleship).  Or as TaLaR writes, two among Mora and Heron.

Although if Astral lost its Fighter Recall, it could become a missileship.  It has two heavy missile turrets, and it could probably aim any missile weapon, especially Cyclone Reaper and Hammer Barrage.  (Dumb-fire heavy missiles are pointless to use; Gryphon is too fragile, Apogee's points off to the side, Conquest's points ahead while its big guns are broadsides, and Astral works best as carrier.)  Currently, I do not bother with weapons on Astral except maybe a few burst PDs and put everything into fighters and carrier friendly hullmods.  If Astral lost Fighter Recall, it could use Missile Autoforge (and more speed) to become a carrier/missileship.

I like Astral as it is.  Astral is my heavy-hitter if I find it before I find Paragon.