Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Spiral Arms II - Free Community Sprite Resources  (Read 116897 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Spiral Arms II - Free Community Sprite Resources
« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2023, 03:20:21 PM »

Oops, forgot to upload that file, lol.

These came out of a couple of rounds of experiments. The squarish ones were using a base design somewhat vaguely based on the CSS Virginia. It was a fairly-immobile floating fort with guns, so that was kind of the concept. The blobby ones were from something I already had lying around, but with different prompts that produced interesting results for industrial / mining stuff.

The more boat-shaped ones were trying to capture the weird looks of the ironclad sailing vessels in the strange period before more modern-looking designs emerged.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2023, 09:53:25 AM »

A totally tubular tribe of triangular triremes.
AI Image Source Note: these images were all made with img2img prompts and Stablity AI's Stable Diffusion, using the model known as Dread_V3. Text prompts were probably something like, "((spaceship)) ironclad, ((aerial view)), pipes, rivets, panel lines, greebles, (((detailed and intricate))), rocket engines, jet engines, small details, dirt, hydraulics, hatches, struts, grunge, rust, oil stains, post-apocalyptic, low-tech, steampunk, dieselpunk, machinery".

Lore:
Spoiler
Again, due to time considerations, I'll have to keep it short. Descriptions go from left to right.

1. Challenger-class Dreadnought: a venerable design from the Late Midline period of warship development, the Challenger was, according to the Blueprint, initially conceived as a Rapid Response Vessel for the Domain's Frontier Defense Corps, and was largely automated. Unfortunately, most of this tech is no longer available off-the-shelf in the Persean Sector, so this ship has had extensive modifications made internally to support an enormous crew. While it isn't as fast as a Conquest, it boasts incredibly thick armor belts, a high-efficiency 120-degree arc shield, and enough power to keep slugging until most foes are radioactive scrap. Its System is highly unusual for a vessel of its size: it boasts a Space Dynamic Folding (SDF) device. This differs sharply from the more-advanced version used by the famed Hyperion-class frigates. It takes a huge amount of time to recharge, but can jump the ship nearly half again as far. Typically, this means that the Challenger can use it to either suddenly enter an engagement or to leave a fight it knows it cannot win. Despite not being very fast, this may sometimes allow the Challenger to suddenly change the tides of battle.

2. Neolith-class Heavy Cruiser: an unusual design from the Late Midline period. The Neolith carries a surprisingly-light armament for a vessel of its displacement, but makes up for it with the installation of Flux Shunts capable of drawing off enemy firepower. However, its most unusual aspect may be its System, which allows it to dump its Flux load directionally, pushing the vessel backwards rapidly. It's very hard to kill one.

3. Aeschylus-class Light Cruiser: a more typical example of Late Midline, this vessel boasts a high-efficiency shield, surprisingly-strong armor and a relatively-weak armament. It relies largely on a System that allows it to briefly distort local gravity at a nearby location of its choosing, which can be used to line up shots or even cause enemy vessels to ram one another.

4. Catafalque-class Destroyer: a well-rounded example of Late Midline design, the Catafalque delivers long-range fire support through its Medium Missile hardpoints while providing the unusual benefit of 360-degree turret rotation for its Medium Energy mount. With its System, that causes all hostile missiles within a wide radius to fail self-tests and detonate prematurely, it is an excellent addition to a fleet specializing in long-range combat and defensive firepower.

5. Cornwall-class Heavy Frigate: a robustly-armored ship with unusual, side-mounted missile hardpoints, decent mobility and an efficient shield, Cornwells are typically used in a fleet-defense role, supporting larger warships, rather than as attack vessels.

6. Razorback-class Battle Barge: The Razorback is a Pirate innovation. It came about when Pirates captured a Neolith whose Flux Shunt had been destroyed. After several years of secretive tinkering, the resulting Blueprint is a nightmare of poor design decisions that somehow added up to a vessel better than the sum of its conceptually-bereft parts. This ship is shieldless, but boasts almost as much armor as a Dreadnought, and has a System allowing it to rapidly close ranges with enemy vessels. Its three spinally-mounted Ballistics pound shields, while its Large Missile mounts allow it to dump depressing amounts of firepower into targets foolish enough to resist. Thankfully, it's so unreliable and prone to breakdowns that this remarkable combination of armor and firepower barely delivers.

7. Niobium-class Auto-Cruiser: a recent innovation in the Sector has been putting ships under fully autonomous control. However, most such vessels break Luddite and Hegemony law by requiring banned AIs. The Niobium was developed to circumvent these requirements. It requires exactly 6 crew; one for each watch, serving as "Captain", and providing all of the main tactical instructions, plus one more for Engineering oversight. Advanced, but not forbidden, AI tech takes care of the rest, resulting in a ship that's cheap to operate whilst boasting decent levels of firepower and a surprising level of shielding. Its biggest weakness is that using so much automation required sacrifices to armor everywhere; it can deliver a punch, but can't take one.

8. Titanium-class Auto-Cruiser: like the Niobium, this advanced vessel trades crew size for massive amounts of automation, without going beyond the limits set down in the Book of Ludd. This vessel is oriented largely towards pilots who prefer high speeds and aggressive tactics. The side pods both contain additional thruster modules for use during pursuit or attack runs, but also contain "Death Blossom" missile barrage systems that can end a fight shortly after it began, or clear an area of smaller vessels.

9. Beryl-class Auto-Destroyer: Thinking that the automation-that-isn't-illegal trend would become quite popular, Tritachyon (who originally helped develop the Niobium and Titanium classes for the Mercenary Exchange) has offered up a more conventional take with the Beryl-class. Beryls boast 8 Small Energy slots and four Small Missile hardpoints, making them surprisingly versatile, middle-of-the-road vessels. However, their big secret is located in the large pylon-mounted structures on each side. These allow the Beryl to convert all current Hard Flux into a pair of beams whose power and duration directly correspond to the Flux load being dumped. The beams do no damage to physical components, but effectively transfer Flux to other ships who have their shields engaged, often pushing them into Overload. This gives Beryl captains a risky but potentially devastating optional attack mode.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 04:05:34 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 09, 2023, 02:10:07 PM »

When the Luddite Earth Mother was asked, "How many legions do you have?", her answer was, "enough".

AI Image Source Note: these images were all made with img2img prompts and Stablity AI's Stable Diffusion, using the model known as Dread_V3 and the LORA called BlackAndGoldAI. Text prompts were probably something like, "((spaceship)) ironclad, ((aerial view)), pipes, rivets, panel lines, greebles, (((detailed and intricate))), rocket engines, jet engines, small details, dirt, hydraulics, hatches, struts, grunge, rust, oil stains, post-apocalyptic, low-tech, steampunk, dieselpunk, machinery".
Spoiler
These are inspired by ideas of the Luddites going in for a lot of pomp in their warship designs to awe the faithful, as opposed to the plainness of Luddite society. This was typical of many medieval societies, where the major faiths, being support systems for the societies' castes and hierarchies, wanted to show off their power through decoration and symbology. Grand cathedrals in space, ridiculous levels of metalwork on warships? It totally happened, historically.

Today's emphasis on functional design for military objects is a relatively modern idea; one can go back to the 19th Century and see that even serious military-grade systems often came with aesthetic flourishes reflecting their cultural heritage. Even today, it's kind of funny how people think some new weapon system is "cool" or not largely based on how it looks, and that can influence what gets funded for serial production and what remains merely conceptual. One presumes the Lockheed Martins of the world have stylists thinking about how to make things look cool after the engineers figure out to make them work.

The basic idea was that these ships, under the filigree, remain Luddite in design- heavy on armor, low on high-tech features. So they're largely based on base designs I'd already decided were "Low Tech" or "Midline". But they're both a functional device and a symbol, which felt right.

The Path, of course, eschews such frippery, as they both lack the financial resources and have decided that this is antithetical to Ludd's vision of individual simplicity and harmony with life everywhere... and is hubristic besides. This is one of the few points of their heresy that gets them much positive attention from other Factions- the Pirates, for example, agree that it's ridiculous that Ludd's armed representatives swan around in gilt while their people live archeotech lives, and even representatives of such factions as the Hegemony, while polite in public, often laugh at the waste and expense that these ships' extraordinary ornamentation require.

After a few experiments, black and gold and white and gold both conveyed the sense I was after.

On the technical side, this was a fun series to mess with. I've learned a lot about the concepts of statistical convergence (i.e., how many inference steps typically result in the best probability of a given set of inputs being followed, or "how to get OK results without waiting so long") and LoRAs to stabilize stylistic elements and keep stuff roughly on-theme. In this case, I'm using this LoRA on top of the main model, prompts and img2img base designs.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 04:06:14 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Pogre

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 09, 2023, 08:12:26 PM »

Here is a massive, singular image of a ton of old, mostly really, really bad sprites of mine that I have no use for now. Spoilered due to size.

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 08:15:22 PM by Pogre »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2023, 08:25:02 PM »

Wow!
Xeno's Mod Pack

kristofferson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 07, 2023, 01:08:36 PM »

have fun with these because i wont lol
Spoiler

i made a newer version of the midline capital for some reason
[close]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 12:26:21 PM by kristofferson »

Procrasadini

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 19, 2023, 11:25:47 AM »

Some sprites I made back in 2020 when I thought I was going to be a modder of this game since I had lots of free time on my hands. Didn't work out since I'm too lazy but maybe one day. For now I'm dumping the finished sprites I made here since I probably won't be using them, and I am running out of storage lol. There is kind of a lot so I'll hide them under a spoiler. Hosted on Imgur, since I don't know where else to host them.
Spoiler
https://imgur.com/a/ZeaLm0o Doesnt seem to be coming up as a image, dont know what to do to fix that.
[close]

hopefully this formats right, this is the first and probably last, time I'll use this forum.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 11:30:33 AM by Procrasadini »

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2023, 06:39:14 PM »

So a couple of us still occasionally work with the Battleships Forever Shipmaker on its discord because of raw nostalgia. Over the past few three or so years I've made some things I'm quite proud of (most of them when I broke my hand and couldn't really do anything else), and I figured I'd post them here for you all. Feel free to make edits to these as you see fit. If you need me to remove glows or make simple alterations, feel free to shoot me a PM or reply here and I can do that pretty easily. I'll also give you the sb4's if you know how to use the Shipmaker, but I'm not sure many know how to work it these days.

There's lots in here.
Spoiler

[close]

Also, if anyone is really desperate, they can also go to the BSF forums and can use anything posted with my name.

Enjoy!

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 01, 2023, 02:29:37 AM »

So a couple of us still occasionally work with the Battleships Forever Shipmaker on its discord because of raw nostalgia. Over the past few three or so years I've made some things I'm quite proud of (most of them when I broke my hand and couldn't really do anything else), and I figured I'd post them here for you all. Feel free to make edits to these as you see fit. If you need me to remove glows or make simple alterations, feel free to shoot me a PM or reply here and I can do that pretty easily. I'll also give you the sb4's if you know how to use the Shipmaker, but I'm not sure many know how to work it these days.

There's lots in here.
Spoiler

[close]

Also, if anyone is really desperate, they can also go to the BSF forums and can use anything posted with my name.

Enjoy!

It's an amazing piece of kit, I loved it growing up. I didn't realise it was still going though. Truly a shame that game never got finished. I nearly always just used the standard parts back then. Probably still have my files knocking about on a HDD somewhere. 8)

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2023, 10:19:52 AM »

have fun with these because i wont lol

Calling dibs on the midline-cap...

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2023, 07:28:38 AM »

[All sprites in this post were removed due to missing credits as explicitly required by the creator(s). - Hartley]

all these are up for grabs, made by various people

« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 11:20:15 AM by SirHartley »

DeCell

• Ensign
  • Fenasi Kerim
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2023, 05:21:50 AM »

Here are mines that wont be used on my mod named DEA and VeBlib because i stopped modding (yk the triangle guy?)
Some made by me, some made by Tecrys (you should be able to difference them from the quality)

Everything in the mods ive made can be used by anyone without asking (specifically codes since i cant sprite):
DEAmod: https://github.com/DeCEll-1/DEA_mod
VeBlib: https://github.com/DeCEll-1/VeBlib

Spoiler

[close]

Mitsuru-Ch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2023, 10:45:11 AM »

[All sprites in this post were removed due to missing credits as explicitly required by the creator(s). - Hartley]

Please remove your post or at least credit the sprites used.

_totallynotjosh has released some exceptional sprites to the public with no exception of payment, but simply of some credit.

turkler's sprites require you to explicitly credit them if you share them. What you are doing goes against the spriter's wishes and explicitly breaks the agreement of being allowed to use the sprites with credit. Attaching "made by various people" at the end isn't enough. You should both credit the artists behind the sprites and make sure you communicate the terms of use.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 11:20:25 AM by SirHartley »

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2023, 11:31:30 AM »

While I love seeing people share their work with others and encourage working together to extend the content available to the community, stealing the works of others and posting them here is not welcomed in the grand spirit of things.

Make sure you have permission if you are not the creator, include any copyright requirements (such as direct credit!), and make double sure said permission is not implied but explicit.

Further attempts to post these without proof of permissions will result first in removal of the post, then the removal of the poster.

Thank you for keeping this place as good as it can be!

JEENAH

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2023, 11:26:17 AM »

Posted it in the wrong thread ... Again. Damn. Its horrible -_-

So ... My contribution. The Omega.

EDIT :

My Star Wars ships I made a long time ago that I no longer want to maintain. Maybe someone else can find use for them.

I'm gonna take those :3 They're gonna go well with some other shiet. I might try to make a mod (If there is not already one) that packs a lot of random ships that doesn't have any mod supporting them (If i succeed in doing it, i might fail LOL).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 11:32:54 AM by JEENAH »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16