Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2017 - August - Got some marines now what.  (Read 4303 times)

Palladin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
2017 - August - Got some marines now what.
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:39:25 PM »

So I found some marines in the 500ish credit range. It seems reasonable and I had a bit more than 1,000,000 credits, so why not I bought 46 of them.

Now how do I use them?

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 - August - Got some marines now what.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:27:52 PM »

You use them to take over markets, go to one and click special functions then invade planet/station (you will also have to fight a good sized garrison fleet)

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:51 PM »

That's only a thing if you're playing with the "Nexerelin" mod with the game. Without that mod then marines are no different than the other regular commodities you find in the market with the exception that they take up crew slots rather than cargo slots.

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:26:26 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out >.< Haven't played base game at all so just figured Nex added it

Althaea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »

In previous versions of the game they were used to board and capture ships after combat. This system was replaced with the current salvaging mechanic in 0.8.

Presumably they'll have a use again in future versions of the game (e.g. protecting outposts established on decivilized worlds from native raiders), but for now they are only really used in the Nexerelin mod.

Palladin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »

At this time I am only playing vanila.

I prefer vanilla as it gives me a good sense of the game and what I might want to change/mod to further expand my enjoyment. I will deff look at the Nexerelin mod and see if it is something that will add to my game exp.

I would love to see an element where marines can cap ships.
I can imagine a system where buy marines are boarded into breaching capsules(modified torpedo), then launched at the ship to be captured. Said breaching capsules would have to make it past point deff to deliver its payload AKA ANGRY  MARINE. Capsules would be delivered to target area in a specialized drop ship with loadouts designed to assist capsules in making it to the target, something like flares or the like. Drop ship would have limited or no offensive capability but would have excessive defensive loadouts. Once a ship is capped the marines would retreat from the battle field in it and the player would have to protect it until it did so. Breaching capsules would also be an expendable item and need replacement every time. After battle the capped ship get added to your fleet, marines are returned to drop ship and live moves on to next engagement. Shields on the ship to be capped would need to be down so some kind of emp would need be deployed against it to give a few seconds for breacher to get to the hull for marine entry.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »

-snip-
Marines WERE used to captured DISABLED ships however it was too difficult to balance properly and led to much rage and anger so now we have the current system.
As for in combat boarding a la SPAZ? Nope. Been suggested many times and the answer has, and always will be, no
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Palladin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 02:59:07 PM »

-snip-
Marines WERE used to captured DISABLED ships however it was too difficult to balance properly and led to much rage and anger so now we have the current system.
As for in combat boarding a la SPAZ? Nope. Been suggested many times and the answer has, and always will be, no

Well I guess I am gona have to take over a station and open a cat house to get some residual income. Even spacers need to knock boots from time to time.

Sooooo
Is it possible to MOD an already active game? I want to take over a station for myself. I have heard that the MOD "Nexerelin will allow station/planet capture.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:01:44 PM by Palladin »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »

If you want to play a mod where marines are useful, Nexerelin is it, and you capture stations there by deploying enough marines (number required varies by market, some only need a few, while something big like Sindria requires more than a thousand marines).

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »

-snip-

Well I guess I am gona have to take over a station and open a cat house to get some residual income. Even spacers need to knock boots from time to time.

Sooooo
Is it possible to MOD an already active game? I want to take over a station for myself. I have heard that the MOD "Nexerelin will allow station/planet capture.
You can't mod an already in progress game. HOWEVER, with Save Transfer and Console Commands, you can move ALL of your progress over into a new game
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »

Also Nexerelin can be applied to an existing save (special feature).