Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Everyone stuck with shields on.  (Read 2307 times)

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
Everyone stuck with shields on.
« on: July 22, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »

I've been playing this game for a long time now, and the situation I've ran into only happened to me once, so it already doesn't look like a serious issue, but it's so bizarre that I've decided I'd share it.

Also, I'm not sure whether or not should I post it in this section or the modded section instead, but I doubt it's caused by the mods I'm using, since the only ones I'm running are Nexerelin, Dynasector and a bunch of cosmetic mods, like Audio Plus. None of these seems to have any impact on in-battle behavior.

Alright, to the point. I've started a battle, and at the beginning, just for *** and giggles, I've been shining Ion Beams at my own allied Heron's shield (it was shielding itself from collision, as it was flying in close proximity to my flagship). I know, people do weird things out of boredom, and it's easy to get bored when you're piloting an Astral, which moves at the velocity of a one-legged man driving a monocycle with a square tire.

Suddenly, something weird happened. Literally all of the ships (equipped with shields) on the screen activated their shields. Yes, that includes fighters. Didn't capture that in the screenshot below, but all of the bombers behind my Astral had active shields as well.

As you can see, there were no enemies yet to shield themselves from.

But it doesn't end here. When enemies appeared, it turns out the other fleet had perpetually active shields as well. Unfortunately, I didn't think of capturing any further screenshots... The battle turned out pretty hilarious, as it became apparent that all of the ships are stuck with their shields on - they would never drop them, even when on high flux and/or facing a swarm of sabots flying their way. Things went pretty haywire when everyone all over the place started rapidly overloading.

Overloads however seemed to knock them back into normal mode of operation. I regret I didn't have any phase ships - I'm curious if they would be stuck as well.

Has anyone else witnessed this phenomenon?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:51:47 PM by Wapno »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone stuck with shields on.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »

Huh, that's... weird.

(Moving this to the "modded" section - generally speaking, anything w/ mods running should go here, regardless of whether it feels like a mod-related issue or not.)

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »

(Moving this to the "modded" section - generally speaking, anything w/ mods running should go here, regardless of whether it feels like a mod-related issue or not.)
Alright, sorry about that then. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »

It's all good, just an FYI.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »

This usually happens with weapons that have absurdly long range.  Back in the days of the 5k range Tachyon Lance, ships would roll with shields on pretty much all the time if I remember back that far.  However, not sure if any mods have weapons with ranges that high to cause this type of behavior, or if that behavior still exists.

Did any ships have weapons with absurdly long range?  Or fighters, for that matter - might be worth looking into.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:33:49 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 04:00:50 AM »

This usually happens with weapons that have absurdly long range.  Back in the days of the 5k range Tachyon Lance, ships would roll with shields on pretty much all the time if I remember back that far.  However, not sure if any mods have weapons with ranges that high to cause this type of behavior, or if that behavior still exists.

Did any ships have weapons with absurdly long range?  Or fighters, for that matter - might be worth looking into.
I am aware of this behavior, but there were no overly long range weapons in this battle.

No, I did not install any mods whatsoever that add items or ships. Pure vanilla - only Nexerelin and Dynasector, which add no items.

Also, take a look at the second screenshot - the only opponent present at the time when it started was a lone lasher, with nothing more than machineguns and assault guns.

Furthermore, even if those ships would be in reach of some weapon with super-long range, this still does not explain why they would refuse to shut down their shields even when facing an overload - like I said, all ships on both sides kept their shields active no matter what, until they overloaded.

After a ship experienced an overload and said overload ended (and assuming the ship survived the avalanche of Harpoons that fell on it), it seemed to restore to normal behavior - it was using and dropping shields as normal again.