Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the best version to play modded? 0.7.2 or 0.8.1?  (Read 5674 times)

obuw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What is the best version to play modded? 0.7.2 or 0.8.1?
« on: July 20, 2017, 03:30:54 AM »

Hey all,

I've been playing starsector for a few years now (it has become sort of a summer tradition), but I've been too lazy to update and I'm still stuck on 0.6.5.

I'd like to finally take the time to update now, but I'm wondering if I should go with 0.7.2 or 0.8.1. A lot of mods don't seem to be updated past 0.7.2 yet. Does 0.8 add anything extraordinary?

Here's my current 0.6.5 modlist: http://imgur.com/a/t7gga

(plus a few libraries like musiclib, shaderlib)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best version to play modded? 0.7.2 or 0.8.1?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »

You haven't played vanilla 0.8?!

It's transformative; biggest increase in scope since the initial introduction of hyperspace.

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »

The .8 update is a gigantic overhaul to the entirety of starsector. The update alone adds in far more than anything a mod could add.

I highly recommend you jump to 0.8.1.
I really don't know what I'm doing...

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »

PLAY VANILLA FIRST! It's a new recipe... Then get into adding all sorts of other stuff to it.

Basically, try it out, get wet, then play with mods. :)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:56:40 PM »

I would suggest .72 vanilla since it changes a ton from .65. Like the addition of sensors. I feel like if you jump into .81, you might be overwhelmed but that is just me
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:47:28 PM »

I would definitely suggest 0.8.1a vanilla - I think it's in a much better place than 0.7 was in terms of new player experience, what with the campaign tutorial (which introduces most of the campaign mechanics) and the various ways in which starting out is easier.

OzarMidrashim

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 02:35:36 AM »

If anything... i have a silly question.

How vanilla of 0.8.1a gameplay stands in comparison to nexerelin...? I read its features and they seem like something that i always immagine vanilla had already. Faction wars, diplomacy and relations, own faction and planet conquering...
Mods are like drugs for games - they allow to customise and expand experiance...
...yet be carefull not to mix to much or overload...as conflicts yield terrible results.
There is only one rule always in (load)order...be responsible and know what you're doing.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 04:28:02 AM »

If anything... i have a silly question.

How vanilla of 0.8.1a gameplay stands in comparison to nexerelin...? I read its features and they seem like something that i always immagine vanilla had already. Faction wars, diplomacy and relations, own faction and planet conquering...

Still not there. I hope they become vanilla features, but it feels like an ArmA - ACE situation, where this mod is practically must-have for much of the community, but because those features already exist as a mod, the devs can choose to focus on other things.

Anyway, to OP, I'd still recommend 0.81 - most of those must-haves, and all my favourite content bar Tiandong and Mayorate, have been updated

obuw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 06:40:34 AM »

Thanks for all the responses. I've put together a 0.8.1 modpack and was overwhelmed by all the changes. (Like, how the heck do you even chase or outrun fleets now? I'm sure I'll figure it out.) Probably best to start with vanilla 0.8.1 and go up from there.

However, I also found out about the coop multiplayer mod that unfortunately doesn't seem to be updated past 0.7.2. That's a huge gamechanger for me, so I think I'll probably stick to 0.7.2 for now, but I'll keep both and probably play 0.8.1 when I'm by myself.

obuw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 03:07:08 PM »

Okay, even though I got starsector 0.7.2 without any issues, I can't find the 0.7.2 versions of any of the major mods that have updated to 0.8.1. Could anyone who still has a 0.7.2 pack be kind enough to zip up their mod folder and upload it to dropbox or something? I would really appreciate it.

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »

Simple install and Duel Wield them BOTH ;D. The game isn't that large. This is answering to your modded question. As for vanilla. Definitely .8x  . It really expands the scope of the game. You can allocate Lots of memory as before it was capped.

Point is. Your going to love this..Trust me. With every update. Alex keeps going EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLx3JlDe7J0
Spoiler

[close]