Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Sad Day for a Craptop User  (Read 13684 times)

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day for a Craptop User
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »

Right. I definitely understand the sentiment. But personally, it's not too bad. Sure, I can only watch with envy when all the new games come out. But as long as I curb my expectations to something more reasonable, all's well. Besides, this drives me to put more effort into finding "gem stones," games that are absolutely, mind-bogglingly good that isn't just a whole load of graphics. (prime example being SS)
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »

Right. I definitely understand the sentiment. But personally, it's not too bad. Sure, I can only watch with envy when all the new games come out. But as long as I curb my expectations to something more reasonable, all's well. Besides, this drives me to put more effort into finding "gem stones," games that are absolutely, mind-bogglingly good that isn't just a whole load of graphics. (prime example being SS)
Agreed 110%! This is especially true for older games and such, like the one that was brought up in the off topic part of the forums! (Starscape)
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »

Yikes, finally some like-minded folk! I agree 110% too, I merely just went down a different path is all, point being that once I got to try new stuff out on my current machine which is about 4 years old now with minor part changes in-between and I ended up not caring much about new games in general, both vast majority of AAA and Indie titles that get left behind in one way or another.

Set myself up for a joke of sorts: Gets a beastly computer, finds new stuff lackluster/underwhelming, ends up playing games like Dwarf Fortress and Starsector the most, stuff that work okay on older machines too.

Thinking back it's quite amusing. :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:18:15 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »

For everyone suffering from performance issues please note this mod: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12503.0  The author says it tones down particles in vanilla, and delivers better performance as a result.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »

I should also add that the AI Mod also significantly improves performance (by roughly 25% on the 8-year-old laptop I'm running tests on), but it's not yet quite as capable as the Vanilla AI.

However, neither of these mods makes a significant impact on the biggest issues with performance, namely memory allocation for Fleets and all of the CPU locked up in Markets during non-combat play.  I may tackle these issues at a later date.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

vagrant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2017, 11:01:40 AM »

I'm in a very similar boat as Achataeon, I've got a late 2009 model white macbook (I believe this was the last year they made the white plastic model) that's been my main starsector machine. My solution for a while was to use nexerlin to generate a cluster of only one to two systems, and it seemed to stave off the memory issues for a while when running mods.

I have tried 0.8.1 vanilla and it seems to run well, but adding mods eats up the little memory I have very quickly, and often ends in a crash.

I wish apple would come out with a line of macbooks reminiscent to this one, because it's a tank, and I've used it for university work and games constantly since I got it.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »

Yeah, the memory issues are pretty significant.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »

I wish apple would come out with a line of macbooks reminiscent to this one, because it's a tank, and I've used it for university work and games constantly since I got it.

I know what you mean. They kept selling the non-retina 2010/2012 style Macbook pro 13" for like 5 years because it was super upgradable and had a lot of ports. It was a tank, and people liked that.

I love OSX' blend of polished GUI with *nix underpinnings on well designed hardware (this is a useful mixture for sciences), but unless they start making laptops that are upgradable and have ports again, I'll have to switch to *nix on non apple laptop.
Pages: 1 2 [3]