Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Sad Day for a Craptop User  (Read 13623 times)

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
A Sad Day for a Craptop User
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »

The day has finally arrived, a day that I have long feared would come. That the development of Starsector would finally lead us to a game ever nearer to completion, and ever nearer to eating up that precious, precious, RAM. Today, after my fervent efforts testing out every possible permutation of setting, config file, VMPARAMS, and all that jazz, I am sad to say that version 0.8.1, and indeed the 0.8 update itelf, would be the first version wherein I can no longer mod the game with at least 1 faction mod, out of the many faction mods out there. A sad day indeed.

It is at this moment that I would like to take the opportunity to express my gratitude to our ever hardworking modders, those that have taken us through the hard times of waiting for the next update that is soonTM to come. To the Moderators, and no less the entire community of Starsector, that helped to provide a wonderfully positive community for the game. No less important is the hardwork done by the master craftsman David who, time and again, continues to deliver with exceptional content for our eyes to feast on. (There's also that dude who made the sounds for the many factions in Starsector. I cannot for the life of me remember his name, sadly. But huge props to him nonetheless) And ultimately, to Alex, who has continued to provide us with an enormous amount of entertainment now, and even more entertatainment soonTM, when the next content update finally hits.

Your resident craptop user,
Achataeon
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day for a Craptop User
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:16:02 PM »

As someone who has never bought a single laptop (let alone a crappy one), I can't say I can relate. But, not being able to play a game you could previously enjoy sounds like a serious downer. /salute

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:46:18 PM »

May the almighty PC God bless you in the future.  Until then, may he be with you to help you in your time of need.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 07:05:39 AM »

I'm sure it's possible to get it working.

Specs?

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »

I feel your pain man. I (still) occasionally use the dinosaur of an xp in my office for those games you just can't get to work on the new stuff, but for a while, it was the only PC I had that still worked.
Good luck on finding something new, or maybe a fix.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:24:09 PM »

Generally speaking, refractoring (making things run faster by making code more efficient) comes near the end of development so not to waste effort.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »

Generally speaking, refractoring (making things run faster by making code more efficient) comes near the end of development so not to waste effort.
Actually, Alex just did a large optimization pass but due to all the extra content, the gains were mostly negated in my eyes

But I agree with the others: Post your specs and we might be able to squeeze in some factions
Also, you are turning off GLib right?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »

Post your problem and we might be able to help.  Vanilla is quite excellent about being light on required specs and while some of the mods are indeed getting a tad heavy, there are usually meaningful things to be done

Turning off GraphicsLib or if it is required, minimising it's settings is an excellent general place to start.  What specific issues are you running into?

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »

Actually, Alex just did a large optimization pass but due to all the extra content, the gains were mostly negated in my eyes

Yeah, having an open beta is going to put some pressure on optimization on making the game playable on a wider range of computers and optimization will have benefits earlier, that being said, unless I missed something a lot of refactoring may still take place near the end of the beta.

What settings have you tried, Achataeon? I have a potato laptop I play Starsector on, and I do certain things to maintain a higher FPS.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:13:08 PM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 03:19:47 AM »

2nd Gen Intel i5
2 GB RAM
32-bit Windows 7

I think that's all the pertinent specs. If it's any help, specific laptop in question is Mid 2011 11" Macbook Air running Bootcamp.

One of the first settings I muddled with was the VMPARAMS. But anything over 1100 MB gives me an OoM error.

Another trick was to resize all background jpegs down to 25%.

And yes, I did disable graphicslib in its config files.

All I'm really up against is the dreaded OoM error.

Maybe many heads are better than one here. Any tips to squeeze in more mods? Dropping down to 30 fps and indeed, lower than that, isn't an issue. Pretty much used to slideshow graphics at this point.

I think it's also important to mention: I'm quite able to play the game as it is. What I'm trying to do here is to get at least 1 faction mod to run, and maybe work from there.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:22:37 AM by Achataeon »
- Vsauce, Michael here

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 04:25:33 AM »

32 bit system?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 05:19:49 AM »

2GB?!
Buy some more ram!

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 06:22:12 AM »

Wow 2G, I can relate. I have ancient brick of a laptop that I still use today for my lessons. 2GB is no longer enough for modern gaming man, you need to get a better one.

That said, save money and buy a new machine.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 08:31:49 AM »

Heh. Wish I could replace my RAM for better ones, but for the price to up the RAM of an apple product... yeah. It's simply more efficient to build my own PC.

That said, I've recently began trying to earn up cash to build a decent PC by fixing other people's PC's. But it would be a fair while (realistic calculations show it to be around a year from now) before I can have the privilege of building my first PC (and here I mean my PC)

In the meantime, I'm still open to suggestions on getting by with playing modded Starsector here, if you've got something.
- Vsauce, Michael here

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »

Install Linux. The OS is much more lightweight in terms of memory use than Windows, leaving more RAM free for Starsector. You probably want to go with something lightweight, like Xubuntu or something else XFCE-related.
Pages: [1] 2 3