Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Drawing [REDACTED] Battlestations, part 1  (Read 15434 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Drawing [REDACTED] Battlestations, part 1
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 03:16:41 AM »

That giant battlestation with all the concentric rings does look fun, though.  Surely there's some way to break it down into reasonably-sized repeating sections rather than make the thing one ridiculous monolithic texture?

Wouldn't player just blow that up near instantly with Hyperion/Afflictor? Assuming there is sufficient gap to materialize in.
I suppose stations could have anti teleportation/phase fields to prevent that...
You can't unphase or teleport into the middle of a ship, even something like a paragon, so I doun't you could do the same with a superstation

Yes, but that design was supposed to have gaps.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 06:10:03 AM »

That's some nice unused sprites there, it would be a shame if those falls into the wrong hands... And it's not like everyone signed the Ram Regulation Agreement either...

Anyway, i'm eager to see how the Remnant station came to be, that thing is pretty damn huge.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »

Re. all the giant battlestation talk- If there's a modder or modders out there that wants to take on that idea, please do!

... Like, I'm trying to be subtle here, but if that's not working: Modders, please make a giant battlestation mod!

I assume each major faction will eventually have its own unique battlestation design—you looking forward to drawing them all, David? Hahah! :)

I wouldn't assume that they'd be unique per-faction, just as with ships. I'll discuss it more in the part 2 to this blogpost, but it's important to me that the factions have a more-or-less shared material culture (to abuse some anthropology jargon). And we're otherwise not in a state where we can comment on how non-AI battlestations would theoretically work in-game. So ... I'll leave it at that.

I don't see how the Derelict Mothership being boxy can be a point of criticism. It's a factory that manufactures space boxes, so it's thematic if it's also a space box.

I like your thinking!

Hopefully the Quartermaster has clearance level ALABASTER, otherwise I'm gonna have a nice talk with the fleet commander. :)

Ooh, you should double-check. Don't want to be called in for enhanced debriefing!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »

Modders, please make a giant battlestation mod!
Crap, we don't have a choice now...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »

Maybe Star Castle remake for Starsector?

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »

Maybe Star Castle remake for Starsector?

Wow, you mean Star Castle the very old vector graphics arcade game?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 05:04:26 PM »

The original 1980 Cinematronics arcade game.  For Starsector, energy rings are the modules and the Star Castle is the core.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 06:26:55 AM »

Hmm... the large Remnant battle station ended up being akin to the Tri Tachyon Corporation logo, eh? Nice.

From another perspective... look! A giant blue fidget spinner!
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »

Hmm... the large Remnant battle station ended up being akin to the Tri Tachyon Corporation logo, eh? Nice.

From another perspective... look! A giant blue fidget spinner!

(Oh no, you preempted a joke I was saving for part 2!)

MCWarhammer

• Ensign
  • What time is it?
    • View Profile
    • MCWarhammer's Homepage
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »

As the great David said:
(*Mod-makers, of course, have made no such implicit commitment and can do all sorts of crazy things that bring even the mightiest gaming machine to a shuddering crawl.)
For vanilla, not possible.  But for some crazy-ass mod, definitely, with the proper knowledge. :) Though to be honest, a giant rotating station with multiple layers of defense to get down to the core to disable energy to it's weapon systems would have been possibly the most epic fight I've ever fought.  Destroy each layer in detail or try to punch of a hole through each layer in the same spot to catch a fleeting glimpse of the core and get a torpedo in there all Star Wars exhaust-shaft style.  Not only would it be simply an epic battle, but it would be the epic battle that marked the peak of the entire game.  Or perhaps the end of a grand story line if there ever existed one - a rouge alpha or perhaps a more powerful AI jamming the gates of the sector hidden away in a dark, unknown star system pimped out with it's own battlestation worthy of a coalition to destroy it.

I need this to happen now.  I want to explore more of the AI part of the lore now because it's pretty amazing.  My favorite part is that they are controlled by attaching explosives to them.
Quote from: Alex
I'm not a robot! *bzzt* *chirp*

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »

So, Derelict motherships. I love their design, but actually fighting them (and their defense fleet) in their current iteration feels a bit underwhelming. This probably isn't a place to post this feedback, but it kind of fits!

Although fighting one was fun, it was kind of easy to defeat the mothership and all of its defense drones with a fleet of 8 ships ((3 carriers [mora, heron, condor], 2 destroyers [hammerhead, sunder], 3 frigates [lasher, brawler, monitor].

Though while I was fighting it, I just assumed it was thematic that it was really easy, considering how old and battered all of that technology is. However, I did have a voidcraft-heavy fleet ((those Khopesh Rocket Bombers seem to be the bane of their existence)) so maybe they need more anti-fighter anti-missile support drones mixed in there? In particular, those destroyer-sized drones with like 6 or 8 machine gun turrets and active decoy flares did not seem to be very helpful for the enemy. They were usually not in a position that would give support to their more vulnerable allies and even then those drones couldn't defend themselves against 2 squadrons of Khopesh Rocket Bombers. One or two attack runs was all that was needed.

It sure is satisfying when those things land rockets, though. Much more satisfying than Piranhas.

Oh, and the drones all scattered far away from the Mothership, outside of its firing range. What's more, it seemed completely defenseless against voidcraft as well!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »

Btw David, since you are talking about "layered stations that you have to peel off to get to the core", have you read Glen Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps? A good SF book, that contains what may be the most epic space battle ever.

james

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 02:01:21 AM »

I love everything about it
bullet force games online, javascript obfuscator tool, 192.168.0.1 IP adress

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »

So, Derelict motherships. I love their design, but actually fighting them (and their defense fleet) in their current iteration feels a bit underwhelming. This probably isn't a place to post this feedback, but it kind of fits!

Oh, it's fair. Motherships are intended to be easy kills with an fairly low level fleet, so your experience with the loadout you describe is intended.

Now whether it should be intended could be an interesting question, but I think it's good to give low-level (and possibly low-skill) players a battlestation fight to win.

Btw David, since you are talking about "layered stations that you have to peel off to get to the core", have you read Glen Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps? A good SF book, that contains what may be the most epic space battle ever.

Haven't read it! Thanks for the recommendation.

I love everything about it

<3

I'm really enjoying all your advice on minimizing the labor of painting large sprites, since that's something I think about a lot, as I get back into the groove of painting.

Cool! I don't want to break down the entire process, mostly because it's super long, but I'll show a little more of this in part 2 as I go over a bunch of (failed) iterations on the Remnant Battlestation.
Pages: 1 [2]