Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Angels Fall First  (Read 5646 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
Angels Fall First
« on: June 21, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »

What is Angels Fall First?
The quickest way to sum it up is this: Battlefield 2142, crossed with Battlefront II, crossed with Unreal Tournament's Assault gamemode. In other words, it's a Sci-Fi FPS and Space Combat hybrid, with objective-based gameplay, class and vehicle customisation, and just all-around cool stuff.

Gameplay
AFF is split into four gamemodes - First, Ground and Space battles, which are each divided into "Territories" and "Incursion". Territories plays out much like Battlefield's Conquest mode, or the ubiquitous Domination gamemode. Incursion, on the other hand, typically has one side attacking and the other defending. In ground incursions, the attackers must take over sets of control points, much like BFBC onwards' Rush gamemode, but also includes objectives such as opening a fortress' gates and taking over LZs as forward spawn-points. On some maps, both teams may have access to vehicles; Each has their own FAV, APC, Tank, Walker and Gunship. These are deployed periodically, typically being awarded to high-performing players and dropped on the battlefield, rather than spawning at CPs available for anyone to use.

In space, things get a little more interesting. On some maps, the attackers' first objectives might be space-based, while the next set may include boarding the defenders' space station and fighting it out as infantry, taking over CPs in the same fashion as the ground battles. Both teams have access to a wide array of strike craft filling different roles; Interceptors, bombers, brawlers, dropships - wait, dropships?

In much the same fashion as vehicles in ground battles, in space battles players may be awarded sub-capital ships; Corvettes, Frigates and Destroyers. Beyond that, certain stages of a given space incursion, or at predetermined times in Territories, one or both teams will deploy capital ships (Typically the attackers in Incursions). These capitals pack a serious array of weapons, and can be used to deny large areas of space. Not only that, but they serve as a forward spawn for its team, able to deploy strike craft. The best part? They're fully crewable by players, down to point-defence turrets.
But wait, it gets better - the enemy team can board them, if they can get a dropship through its fields of fire.

From there, boarders can spawn on the dropship if they weren't already onboard, until it's destroyed by enemy fighters. This allows them to wreak all kinds of havoc - disabling individual weapons systems, going for the shield generators, or straight for its reactor core, forcing its owners to fight in close-quarters if they want to hold on to their capital ship.

AFF has full bot support, being an Unreal Engine game. They can be a little dumb at times, but they're nice to shore up playercount.
All your individual weapons, vehicles and strike craft are fully customisable, with ammo types, attachments, different weapons and countermeasure loadouts, and in the latest updates, camouflage schemes and colours (There is also the option to disable this entirely client-side, if hot pink & yellow tanks aren't your thing).

I think that about covers it. A word of warning though, it is in Early Access. It's a little light on content and players, and is also somewhat unoptimised (Though I wouldn't know with my hardware, I get 20fps max in anything released post-2010). The playercount is down to the devs' decision not to advertise it until it's complete, or at least has had all its kinks worked out. That said, the bots provide plenty of meat for the grinder, you can even play offline if you choose to.

Steam page here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/367270
Currently on sale for £13.37.

Edit: Sorry about the page-stretch. Also note, the screenshots in here are from an older version, using the old UI. The latest update released the other day contained a completely overhauled HUD, it's now a lot cleaner and more legible.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Angels Fall First
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »

To be honest, it looks like it tries to be and do too much... That and it is basically multiplayer only are the two biggest turnoffs for me
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »

On sale for £9.35.

The only real issue it has in terms of game design is balancing, such is the nature of Early Access and unlike other titles on the platform, it's being worked on consistently. As for being "too ambitious", it meets its ambitions more than adequately. Both the space and ground components are sound.

That said, those balance issues range from innocuous to incredibly frustrating. I'd suggest holding off until the end of EA, but for now it's incredibly fun despite them.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:14:16 PM by Morbo513 »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »

Another issue I see is the lack of players
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »

Another issue I see is the lack of players
Three things:
The devs have deliberately avoided advertising the game before it's out of EA, so as to not have people turned off by the previous version's horrible UI and other EA shenanigans.
The second, the playerbase has been growing massively and is playing more regularly since the last patch.
And, for those periods where there aren't many players, bots fill in.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »

This looks amazing.

P.S.: the last image looks like ADVENT soldiers storming a ship or something.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »

Hah, I remember this from back when it was a homeworld mod (like literally a decade ago). Have been trying to gimp the art style ever since!

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »

Is there friendly fire? I find FPS' without mandatory friendly fire absurd- it strips away like 70% of tactical nuance and skill.

I like the idea of more experienced players getting the better weapons and ships, since they've proven more capable of using them and not inclined to kill their own teammates and grief.

The idea of drop ships setting up temporary spawn points is cool too. This kind of game should give each team in the battle a finite number of stuff and guys, and they all start together as bots or players and when you die as a player you respawn into one of the bots and if all your guys/stuff die you can't get any more and you'll lose that battle.

I'd also like to see one of these games where the new players start out as ammo carriers or repairmen and if you don't screw that up you get a gun and you work up from that to missile launchers, turrets, fighters, artillery spotters, capital ships, etc, then eventually issuing fleet orders to other space ships and infantry units (ie relocating spawn points and drop ships etc).

And if you decide to nuke a bunch of your own guys you get demoted back to ammo carrier.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »

Been playing this game on singleplayer a whole lot recently. It's a very well polished game, I just feel like balancing would be good :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)